Gibson Brands Forums

pickguards !! pedals and you...

DJB08

Just got in my new PickGuard from the member you all know and love,TWANG.

335 style kids!! I really prefer the look so much more over the Epi PG's. but, that's just me.

My gal is away in England and has the camera so you'll have to wait until she returns to see pics of it.

Meanwhile the DOT is really distracting me from my acoustic playing. But, I'll tell you the more and more I play it the higher my opinion of it becomes. I am looking forward to swapping out the wiring soon but, for now the pickups do the job.

I'm starting to hear what i do and don't like about them. I just know when it comes time to get new ones I'll be doing some heavy research but, for now I'm wondering about the Seth Lover pickups...

any opinion on them??

What are some suggestions for pick ups that have nice clean punch but don't overdrive clean channels?

I'm running it through a Fender Twin w/ a Boss Blues Master pedal. Getting closer to the sound i want...

anyone have any suggestions of other(maybe better?) pedals to try adding to the mix?

Or even just mention what you have and why you like it!

DSCN5656.jpg

I don't use a lot at the moment and the ones I have I use sparingly and, hopefully, tastefully.

The TU-2 chromatic tuner and GE-7 EQ come in handy. The tuner is also a power supply for the pedals and can double as a mute switch when in tuning mode. The EQ adds shape to the signal and adds nice boost when required for solos or whatever. I also use a chorus and phase shifter ( for that 70's vibe). I don't like distortion/OD pedals and just use the two channels on the amp to switch form clean to overdriven sounds.

I would definitely recommend the tuner and the EQ, they remain constant as others come and go.

Z

I put Burstbuckers 1 + 2 in my 335 and love them. For pedals I use... ZVex Super Duper (a great desert island pedal for a nice clean boost and second channel for a little dirt), Zendrive (worth every penny), Keeley Compressor, Fulltone OCD, Red Witch Chorus, Fulltone Supa Trem, Boss Tu-2

Guest alanhindle
DSCN5656.jpg

Your Strat looks interesting Zeplin. What are the pickups and tremolo on it?

Also, does your avatar link in any way with your username?

Wouldn't you say it's a 'dead heat in the zeppelin race'?

Alan

Without knowing what tone you are after it's a crap shoot.

If it helps any at all, I've chased blues/classic rock tone for years and finally found what I wanted with only two pedals and a VJr. amp. The 2 pedals?

These two: Robert Keeley Electronics link

Best of luck in your tone quest.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Your Strat looks interesting Zeplin. What are the pickups and tremolo on it?

Also' date=' does your avatar link in any way with your username?

Wouldn't you say it's a 'dead heat in the zeppelin race'?

Alan

[/quote']

The strat is the one guitar I will never get rid of. I bought it new in 1986, MIJ with 2 HBs and a Fender stamped Floyd Rose. Right now it has a Duncan JB in the Bridge and Duncan Phatcat P90 in the neck. Plays and sounds like a dream. As for the avatar those are Mrs. Zeplin's zeppelins

I have never been a big pedal guy but have purchased a few in the past on a " as needed " basis. I will 2nd the suggestion of the Boss EQ pedal. I owned an amp at one time that I just could " tweak " the way I would have liked with the onboard EQ. The Boss EQ pedal did the trick and helped shape the amps sound to what I was looking for.

I am currently considering purchasing a Digiech " Bad Monkey ". I don't think I have read one single bad review on it and think that it could be the missing piece I am loking for right now.

Guest alanhindle

The strat is the one guitar I will never get rid of. I bought it new in 1986' date=' MIJ with 2 HBs and a Fender stamped Floyd Rose. Right now it has a Duncan JB in the Bridge and Duncan Phatcat P90 in the neck. Plays and sounds like a dream. As for the avatar those are Mrs. Zeplin's zeppelins[/quote']

Did I put my foot in it or what?=D>

You have a nice strat there and a nice Mrs. too!

I play through boss pedal board, so easier than connecting your pedals everytime if you're gigging.

from right to left -

cry baby wah / boss delay / turbo tubescreamer / boss flanger / boss tremolo

i also have boss chorus and distortion which i never use.

but like most, i only really use the tone my amp gives me. then press on a pedal, e.g tubescreamer, for solos.

What are some suggestions for pick ups that have nice clean punch but don't overdrive clean channels?

First ones that come to mind' date=' or ones I like:-" , are in the style of Gibby's '57s. Don't like a lot of punch out of my P/Us and these give me that.

I'm running it through a Fender Twin w/ a Boss Blues Master pedal.

What's a Boss Blues Master?...never heard of these. Wait....you're not refering to a Blues Driver are you? LOL...Bass fisherman are you? Getting your TV shows mixed? :-:)

Cool pedal BTW, I really like mine in front of my amps too. I run an '86 red knob twin and a '65 princeton...love them blackfaces, even when they have freckles:).

anyone have any suggestions of other(maybe better?) pedals to try adding to the mix?

Don't matter what type of music you play or where. IMO an EQ pedal is a must...most over looked pedal out there, again IMO...but a very strong one LOL. Been using one for more years then I care to remember. From just a simple thing as a clean boost to tone shapping....I leave one hooked up to the FX loop of my red knob twin. I don't leave home with out them. BTW and FWIW....my EQ pedal of choice are the Boss EQ.

Archived