Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr, anyone not modding them?

I have only had my Valve Jr head and cab for about a month and I haven't felt the need to do ant mods. I did change the tubes but is that really a mod?

I am using this for home use only so volume isn't a issue, But what I do is set the volume to about 10 or 11 O'clock and use the volume and tone knobs on my guitar and I couldn't be happier.

So I was just wondering if the is anyone else who is not modding these amps

I have the VJr combo and use it to jam in a loft over a bar where we have to keep it down a bit, and at home. I'm quite happy with it the way it is. No intentions of modding it. If I need more I have Fenders, a Peavey, and a Boogie. It works for me just the way it is.

Stock here as well (other than tubes). The lil bugger seems to take to pedals really well, and an equalizer is just the ticket to balance "darkness," whatever..... I'm pleased with the stock combo - fits my current needs. If I want super clean, have my low-budget SS amp .... if I want dirt, I have my low-budget EVJr. Works for me .... for now...

I'd love to get into modding it, but .... don't quite have the time, as of now, and it sounds like the oem PCBs aren't up to too much messing with over time. I ain't in no hurry ....... it's a fun, dirty lil amp as is !!!

... what I do is set the volume to about 10 or 11 O'clock and use the volume and tone knobs on my guitar and I couldn't be happier.
Find 2:00 o'clock and roll back on the volume.

So I was just wondering if the is anyone else who is not modding these amps
I have two version 2 two heads. Both are modded, I'd say slightly compared with what you see around here. Both are similar, with some Trainwreck tone mods, and MM Chokes, one has a Hammond 125ESE OT and has been rebiased to Sylvannia specs.

+1 on the volume at 2 o'clock or so, then roll back your guitar volume.

I've had my VJ half stack for about 6 months or so, and it's still stock. I'm planning on putting in some JJ's, but I play for my own amusement and it's more than enough for me. I've got Boss BD2, OS2, DS1 and DD3 pedals, and I can get some sweet sounds out of it.

I recently bought a Fender Blues Jr before the price hike, and between the two of them, I've got all the tube amp that I need. I like some of the features on the BJr over the VJ, but I play them about equally.

My 1st 2 VJ's were needing mods - my 1st head had bitmo mods and my V2 combo was still stock - sold em both (actually traded one) when I got my V3 combo. I really love the sound from my V3 and felt no mods were needed - it cooks. I use a few pedals from time to time to get different sounds - a Korg Toneworks ME, and also a Russian Big Muff PI and a TS-7.

I have 2 homemade bottoms - a 10" and a 12" I use with the combo - but just the VJ by itself with no pedals is still a really fun NO-NONSENSE lil' bugger...

I'm not to familiar with the Valve Jr, or different versions of it rather. I do remember that when they first came out not liking them to much....actually not liking them at all, LOL.

Last year(?) I tried a new one, and darn if I didn't like it. I don't know if my hearing has changed or Epi's done something to them, but this one was nothing like I remembered. I have no real use for one at the moment, but if I was to get one, or rather this particular one I'm speaking of, I do belive I would be in the leaving it as is camp.

a TS-7.

Ha...got a couple of those somewhere around the house myself. When they first came out I thought they was the best kept secret for under 40 bucks....great littel pedals IMO.

IMO no mods needed here either. I sent one of mine out years ago to get modified...back when I kept hearing all the must do mod hypes. Sent it to Keeley or Analogman, can't remember which of these two knot heads. Did a side by side with the one that staid at home and no difference....what a waste of money and bunch of BS. A s I said great little pedal as is...of course as always just MO.

I used to be in the 'no mods' camp. I have tons of effects and such and got excellent results. But, I wanted to be able to do more with the VJr without all the other stuff. So, I did the BitMo Trio mods and that really opened my eyes and the VJr. As good as the many tones I got with it stock and with all the effects it was nothing compared to what it is now! The mods are unbelievably simple and takes no time at all to do. I liked the mods so much I got another VJr. to do the same mods to. Now I have two and run them in stereo with each amp on different settings. Its amazing how powerful 10 watts sounds and feels with these amps! The combination of tones available are fantastic! Do yourselves a favor and mod it! Not only do you get a new amp with the mods but you'll have fun learning and modding to.

Heres a pic of my first one. My second one is exactly the same. Soon to come, a combo VJr.

Stuff010.jpg

Stuff009.jpg

Two stock V3 heads (valve upgrades only), one is my gig backup amp.

Just over 1 year ago, a metric tonne of shyte was thrown my way after I joined this very forum to report to the world that it was tone-ally A–OK to run a stock VJr. V3. It’s great to see that both schools of thought (stockers & modders) now co-exist here to openly discuss every nuance and variation of our beloved VJr.s without being flamed and PM-ed with hate mail.

Those bygone events in part led to formation of my catch phrase and it remains…

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaaby…, I’m going to play on:-"

Updates after eading this thread...

I turned the volume up to about 1 or 2 O'clock and used my Guitar volume and tone.. and for those who said that is the way to go.. +1 to all of you.. WOW

I do have a V3 head and from what I hear the improvements are massive from the older ones. So running stock with a Tube change makes me a happy man...

Steven, You are someone I could prob learn alot from.. Me trying to be a blues player and all....

I try to play in the style of T- Bone Walker, Clarence " Gatemouth" Brown, Albert King, Freddie King and well the list could go on and on...

Archived