Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul '56 Goldtop - in black

Sonett97

I just bougth a Les Paul that states on the headstock that it is a '56 Goldtop

but it is all in black. It has all details of the Goldtop just not the color.

The finish is very good and it plays great.

I have searched internet but haven't found any references of a black goldtop.

Can anyone enlighten me about this Epiphone?

Images below

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

You might send Epiphone an e-mail and ask their customer service department about this one. It could be that somebody either replaced the TRC or that for some strange reason there was a run of 56' Goldtops made with a black paint job but that just seems dumb to me, because its a "goldtop". Or it could be made with the 56" goltop specs, p-90's, etc.... I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm sure that someone else might have some better info about it. I would definately contact customer service. Where did you buy the guitar, was it a licensed dealer?

It's legit, they were made as a Limited Edition and sold through MF and GC. I have on that I purchased through MF in 07 I still have the warranty card and it is registered with Gib/Epi. Hope this helps.

mgm

The '56 Goldtop was bought in Sweden by an licensed dealer (I looked in the dealer directory on epiphone.com).

I has all the features of the '56 goldtop with P-90's etc.

Anyone know the e-mail address for Epiphon customer service, on homepage I am only finding Gibson's addresses.

You can paint a broken yellow line down the middle' date='and call it a "Blacktop"...just kidding. I didn't know Epiphone has a "Custom Shop"??[/quote']Generally refers to a change in paint or an added Bigsby... occasionally something like gold hardware or different inlays, or even more occasionally a unique model - the 57 Les Paul Junior was a Custom Shop, I believe.

Generally refers to a change in paint or an added Bigsby... occasionally something like gold hardware or different inlays' date=' or even more occasionally a unique model - the 57 Les Paul Junior was a Custom Shop, I believe.[/quote']

You are correct to my understanding there have been various threads in the past and the concensus has always been that there isn't an actual "Custom Shop" per say, it's an insignia reserved for certain guitars like you stated, special colors and Limited Edition models.

mgm

One of the main reason why I choose this guitar (apart from that is was an Les Paul model) is the shiny black pianolike paintjob.

I would probably not have aquired if it would have been gold. I was in the search of a Les Paul model, my other guitars is a 80's Vantage and a 70's Fender Stratocaster reissue (Olympia White).

Guest icantbuyafender

yeah they beat me to it.

it was a limited run finish.

a very nice limited run if i may say so.

Very unique.. harkens back to the days before seth lover created the humbucker we know and love.

now Im GASsin for a gold top....

O:)

No worries' date=' I have one as well. Purchased from Musicians Friend last year on closeout for $300. Wish I had grabbed two of them, they are great.

[/quote']

I bought mine too on closeout and have often wished I had gotten two of them at that price!

mgm

I got the suggestion in this forum to e-mail Epiphon Customer Service

in this matter and this is the reply I got:(makes no sense to me...)

Thank you for your interest in Epiphone.

The plastic truss rod cover of a Les Paul can easily be exchanged for another. At the factory the wrong cover could have been attached. This could be the explanation why the cover with the ’56 Gold inscription does not fit to the guitar. Please ask your dealer about this, he may provided a different truss rod cover for you.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again or refer to our webpage at www.gibson.com

Kind regards,

Customer Service

Gibson Europe

It has all the feauture of the '56 Gold Top and I wrote this and I attached the pictures I posted

to them. I does not make me any more enlighten

I bought a '56 Ebony Goldtop and liked the feel' date=' but didn't care for the cream colored highlights. So I tricked it out. I have Lindy Fralin P90s on order that will finish the transformation.

[img']http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm82/gibiphone/guitars/DSC00438.jpg[/img]

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

gibiphone; Nice shielding job on the inside of you LP. Did you do that yourself, have a luthier do it, or did it come

that way? BTW, I like your guitar in all black. When I saw the thread initiator's entry, I was almost tempted to say

it was an Ebony LP Standard which someone threw on a set of P-90 p'ups and a 56 Goldtop TRC, but then I scrolled down and saw that you and some other guys said that they are legit. I guess like Crude Oil they could called it "Black Gold"#-o .

Archived