Gibson Brands Forums

Ooooouch!!!

EpiSheriMan

Surely it's insured or you're covered through paypal? It still doesn't take away from the fact that a beautiful guitar has been broken but my experience with ebay/paypal is that it's always in the buyer's favour. If you paid by paypal then go to the resolution centre and open a case.

Surely it's insured or you're covered through paypal? It still doesn't take away from the fact that a beautiful guitar has been broken but my experience with ebay/paypal is that it's always in the buyer's favour. If you paid by paypal then go to the resolution centre and open a case.

Thanks for the support Clarkuss...

Out of interest, does anyone know if Paypal has a limit on refund values? The guitar cost me $ 1,400. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they only covered up to $500. Does anyone have any experience with claims via PAYPAL? The seller wants me to file a claim with UPS, but surely that is for him to do, no?

The seller should be responsible for giving you a refund and following up the insurance claim and that's how paypal should see it as well. Might not be fair on the seller if he packaged it correctly etc but you have a case that the guitar arrived not as described and therefore the seller hasn't agreed to his part of the deal. Nobody buys a guitar to go labouriously through an insurance claim.

Here's what you do:

-Dispute a transaction

-Item dispute

-Stick in the transaction ID

If it was me I'd say that the item that arrived was significantly different from the one you thought you'd bought as it is damaged. If the seller doesn't offer the refund escalate the case. In the few experiences I have had (as buyer and seller) the resolution centre has favoured the buyer and the insurance claim is left to the seller.

You haven't got much to lose because the insurance on postal companies is normally like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Paypal should see that you've paid a lot of money for a broken guitar. Maybe I'm being a little harsh but if I was selling a guitar at £1400 I would damn near guarantee that it was packaged in a way that would make it impossible for it to be broken. How was the packing? I can't believe any seller would scrimp on safely packing such a rare and expensive guitar.

You'll also need plenty of pictures of the box and ( case ) to see what damage there was to the outside of the packaging, Also take pictures of the top of the head to see if there are any impact dents to the top.that last pic looks like it might be where the initial impact was to the back of the neck there. Or in the third pic there looks to be some crackling near the tuner, that bvox is either going to save you or you might have a fight on your hands, good luck in how it turns out. Ship.............did I mention that sucks the big one

This photo is starting to concern me. I'm trying to figure out what that dis-colored area below the tuning peg is.

I'm worried it may be damage that someone may have tried to conceal prior to shipping. There is no way that could have happened in transport!!!! :-s

Any experts have any thoughts? TWANG perhaps.....

EpiphonetexanDamage1.jpg

This photo is starting to concern me. I'm trying to figure out what that dis-colored area below the tuning peg is.

EpiphonetexanDamage1.jpg

Is it the nitro finish seperating from the wood? Since it looks to be right at the crack, that could be the case, and it would look discolored as it lifts.

Sorry about the shipping damage. That's truly a shame.

Red 333

It is the sellers responsability to file a claim with UPS. I have been through it after shipping a guitar that never arrived to the buyer. It is not a quick process. It took me over a month to get a check from UPS and I've heard that was actually pretty fast for them.

I've also went throught the dispute process with Paypal and they will reimburse you. Did you pay with a credit card ? It will be a little quicker process if you did.

IMO, the best thing you guys could do is; you ship the guitar back to the seller, he refunds your money to you directly, and then he deals with UPS to get the funds returned to him.

Can you get a finger under the translucent area? Can it be wiped off with a dampcloth? If so, it could be dried white glue. White glue shouldn't be here from the factory, so, it may be the remnants of a repair attempt.

If you can't peel it off and it's not water soluble, it could be the finish pulled away from the wood underneath when the head was snapped forward and all part of the same 'event' that cracked the scarf joint open.

Thanks for the support Clarkuss...

Out of interest' date=' does anyone know if Paypal has a limit on refund values? The guitar cost me $ 1,400. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they only covered up to $500. Does anyone have any experience with claims via PAYPAL? The seller wants me to file a claim with UPS, but surely that is for him to do, no?[/quote']

Unfortunately I have had experience with filing Paypal claims and it wasn't pretty.

They used to have a limit on the reimbursement but I don't know the amount or if they still do that (this was a couple of years ago) but it was pretty low.

At the time I was trying to get back the $400 my wife paid for a fake Louis Vuitton purse. After weeks of literally dozens of phone calls, faxes and e-mails to Paypal where they NEVER mentioned the reimbursement limit, they finally gave us a refund.... for $200. Add in what I paid for shipping and the $75 I had to pay a 3rd party 'expert' to 'authenticate' that is was actually a fake and I wasn't all that happy. If I had known I would get back less than $100 I wouldn't have gone to all that effort, AND I would have had my wife just keep the fake instead of sending it back to them ;)

I printed a stack of e-mails over 6" thick and wrote a looooongg letter to Paypal's CEO stating that nowhere in any of the correspondence did they even hint that I wasn't jumping thru hoops for anything less than a full refund.

A few days later I got a call from their office. They were nice enough to 'make an exception' and offered me a FULL refund plus reimbursed the shipping costs and the 'authentication'.

Since yours CLEARLY damaged I'm hoping that they just take care of you without all the rigamorole.

Glad to hear it. Bummer that you'll lose that money on the shipping. Do you think you will look for another?

Yes Clarkuss, it was a beautiful guitar. Beautiful tone and a nice thin neck but not in any way narrow at 42mm.

I paid MailBoxes Etc. $ 98 dollars at my cost to ship it back to the Seller which I will never get back....

:-k

Archived