Gibson Brands Forums

Spare Parts come in handy, AND let's learn how to REFINISH A GUITAR?

animalfarm

I put on 6 coats' date=' should have gone 10+...

[/quote']

Why?

blue3.jpg

Can't remember exactly but I think this was something like six coats of blue-tinted Deft. Wet sanded, buffed, polished. Beware of car painters; they tend to lay the paint on rather thick (a car doesn't have to worry about tone).

N-I-C-E finish!!!!! This is not the first guitar you've re-finished? What

did your first effort look like? What problems did you initially have to

"work thru/learn from your mistakes" regarding refinishing?

N-I-C-E finish!!!!! This is not the first guitar you've re-finished? What

did your first effort look like? What problems did you initially have to

"work thru/learn from your mistakes" regarding refinishing?

Actually that was my first job shooting lacquer with a spray gun. Prior to that I'd done a couple of spray can jobs.

Can't remember exactly but I think this was something like six coats of blue-tinted Deft. Wet sanded' date=' buffed, polished. Beware of car painters; they tend to lay the paint on rather thick (a car doesn't have to worry about [i']tone[/i]).

If you bothered to read my post you would have noticed i went to great lengths to encourage a slow & steady approach, i didn't just use the skills to paint cars, that kind of thinking is for sheep.

In fact I have a compressor and a few spray guns in the next room, all these years later (can post photos in 5min with me in front of it if you have doubts).

Also those instructions were for a solid colour finish, not a trans, under those circumstances, a different approach would have been forthcoming.

The initial attempt I made was via spray can, to gain experience in the

how-to's of putting it on, how much, how to sand, how to buff. Can't consider

investing in PRO level gear yet just for a learning project. Doing this for FUN,

but STILL want QUALITY results to encourage me to attempt more intricate

refinish projects. I watched the YouTube videos where a guy did a Trans

Red and Dark Grey/Black TIGER STRIPE on Flame top from the bare wood

thru to finished buff-out. Was Primo work. So, for now, I do the Spray Can.

My error, it appears, was insufficient sanding between coats, along with

insufficient sanding/scuffing prior to application of primer coats...

Just a thought but would an air brush work. As I understand it, it's best, as with any air forced paint, to use many thin coats opposed to few thick one. Following that logic I would think an airbrush would do the trick. Anyone....Anyone....Bueller....Bueller?

Just a thought but would an air brush work. As I understand it' date=' it's best, as with any air forced paint, to use many thin coats opposed to few thick one. Following that logic I would think an airbrush would do the trick. Anyone....Anyone....Bueller....Bueller?[/quote']

Problem with an airbrush is that you will be painting in very narrow swaths. No, you need a proper paint gun. I use a touch-up gun since you don't require huge volumes of paint.

If you bothered to read my post you would have noticed i went to great lengths to encourage a slow & steady approach' date=' i didn't just use the skills to paint cars, that kind of thinking is for sheep.[/quote']

I read your post, dude. I'm not trying to put down your expertise with respect to painting guitars. All I'm saying is that 'years of experience painting cars' is irrelevant except for the fact that someone with that kind of experience will know how to operate the equipment. There's a huge difference between finishing wood and finishing bondo. O:)

I'm sure you also have lots of experience painting guitars and that's the only experience that counts.

I say this because I've seen guitars repainted by autobody guys... they look just like cars, runs and all. I've also seen guitars re-done by professional furniture makers, again, wrong kind of experience for the task at hand.

Rastas' date=' thought you meant a heavier duty more proffessional type set-up. I was talking about the smaller versions found in hobby shops. If so waht are your thoughts.[/quote']

Well, it's pretty basic for me anyhow, here's some pics:

airCompressor-1-scaledCleaned.png

airCompressor-2-scaledCleanedLabeled.png

The cost is mimimal, AU$120 for compressor and kit, which included a spray gun. I use that one for primers, puttys etc. And I have owned a good quality gun for a while which I use as my finishing gun.

Got all sorts of welding gear, power tools for metal, wood and plastic. The pics of the compressor were just taken in my kitchen this morning.

Gives me the shirts, not long after i bought it the 3hp 40litre model started selling for Au$130.

I was monkeying around with the swirl remover before I started to

re-do my dean with an eye torward a quality outcome. I looked at the

headlight covers on my car - yellow tinted now, used to be clear. I thought

"I wonder"....... Hit the plastic headlights with swirl remover and "Wallah",

now Clear Headlights again. So inspired that I re-did all the taillights, too.

Nice. Passing on info, use it if you can!

This one requires experienced input. I have searched for a thread that I KNEW was there' date=' had to

tell computer to show all posts going back 3 months, then do a page=by=page looking for title.

There are other shortcuts, just haven't learned them yet. Sooooo, TELL US HOW!!!!!! Who knows

the secret??????[/quote']

I use Internet Exploder...er Explorer... :-s When I come across a web page I want to keep really handy, I do this;

Highlight the URL in the address bar, then click (in the menu bar just below the address bar) "File -> Send -> Shortcut to desktop". This puts a link to the web page right on my desktop. To get back to the webpage, just double click the icon on the desktop...

To simply "bookmark" the webpage in Internet Explorer, select "Favorites -> Add to favorites". To access it, all you need to do is select "Favorites" again, and it'll be in the drop down list that opens up.

Brian

Archived