Gibson Brands Forums

Upcoming HNGD!

Chefman

Picked up an Epiphone Elite J-45 Vintage Sunburst used today and having it shipped to Chattanooga from Guitar Denter in Salt Lake. It's an '03 Terada built and I am stoked to add an acoustic Elite to my collection. I haven't gotten to play it, but it appears to be in one piece and these Japanese made Elite acoustics aren't just lying around everywhere. I had been looking at Masterbilts and another Elite Texan, but I found this one on their website for an unbelievable price. I think somebody had to have made a mistake. My gain! It even has a Fishman pickup installed through the end pin. It has a couple very minor dings around the pickguard. I am certainly willing to live with it for the price I got it for. Pics will be posted when my J-45 arrives! Anybody else out there have an Epiphone Elite/Elitist acoustic? Share your thoughts/opinions please.

Picked up an Epiphone Elite J-45 Vintage Sunburst used today and having it shipped to Chattanooga from Guitar Denter in Salt Lake. It's an '03 Terada built and I am stoked to add an acoustic Elite to my collection. I haven't gotten to play it' date=' but it appears to be in one piece and these Japanese made Elite acoustics aren't just lying around everywhere. I had been looking at Masterbilts and another Elite Texan, but I found this one on their website for an unbelievable price. I think somebody had to have made a mistake. My gain! It even has a Fishman pickup installed through the end pin. It has a couple very minor dings around the pickguard. I am certainly willing to live with it for the price I got it for. Pics will be posted when my J-45 arrives! Anybody else out there have an Epiphone Elite/Elitist acoustic? Share your thoughts/opinions please.[/quote']

I don't have an Elite(ist) but I do have a Gretsch that was made in the Terada factory around then and it is flawless - their level of craftsmanship is very impressive.

I have four Elitist acoustics, but they are essentially two models, the Texan and the J200. They can stand proudly beside their Gibson counterparts, believe me.

I'm glad you got a great deal deal at GC. May I ask, did they have the Elitist J45 priced like one of the AJ45s Epiphone had available a year or so ago. Was it in that ballpark? That would be too good to be true.

Congrats on your new J45!

Here's couple of pics of my Gibson and Epiphone acoustics. Sorry if some of you saw them on the electric forum, but I just got around to taking pics and I can't help myself.

Acoustics

Masterbilt DR500M, Gibson Fuller's J35 Reissue, Gibson J160E Standard; Elitist J200 (Bottom) Masterbilt AJ500RC, Gibson Advanced Jumbo; Elitist Paul McCartney Texan, Eltist Paul McCartney Texan, Elitist Texan, Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo Maple Short Scale, Masterbilt AJ500R (Floor) Epiphone EL 00, Fullerton Blackwood

picture524.jpg

Vines

Gibson Custom J45 Rosewood Vine, Gibson Custom J185 Vine

picture126q.jpg

red 333 I'm busting up! I have the same patterned couch as you but ours is the love seat! Go figure. Oh BTW' date=' nice collection of guitars!

Mike[/quote']

Funny! That fabric has held help up real well. I've had that couch over 15 years, easy.

Wow Red, beautiful collection. I am not sure what the AJ-45's were going for, I hadn't looked into those. I got this J-45, without a case, but with the Fishman installed, for $450 shipped. I am still speechless. I am training for my new job in Franklin, TN, just outside of Nashville, but I live in Chattanooga, and it is killing me that it will arrive when I am not there to inspect it and play it when it gets there. I think somebody must have gotten confused at GC when they priced this one, but when I saw it, I pounced. The pictures I saw only showed two small nicks, not through the finish, between the soundhole and pickguard. I won't get to see it in person and touch it until next Sunday!

I got this J-45' date=' without a case, but with the Fishman installed, for $450 shipped... I think somebody must have gotten confused at GC when they priced this one, but when I saw it, I pounced. [/quote']

AWESOME price! That's a GREAT deal. Used Elitist acoustics frequently sell for $600 and $1,000 depending on condition. They perform and are built like guitars that cost more, though. I think you're right about GC being confused about what they had. Let us know how it sounds as soon as you get your chance to play it.

By the way, it's nice to see that someone is TRAINING for a job, and not LOSING one! Good luck with that. I know your training stands between you and getting to play your new guitar as soon as it arrives, but that's better than the alternative!

Red 333

Yeah, Red, I am pretty excited about the job and the Elite. I made a move at a perfect time for me, got out of a bad employment situation, and into this new one where I have been welcomed and my talents and experience are being properly appreciated. There is an Elite Texan listed at the Jacksonville FL GC, and another Texan at Aurora Colorado I believe. The one in Jax is listed at $650, and the one in Aurora is $1099 but rated 10.0. Attached are pics of the J-45, listed at $399.99 on the website from the Salt Lake City GC.

tech21001.jpg

tech21002.jpg

tech21005.jpg

The story I was given was a customer bought this J-45 from another GC and had it shipped to Salt Lake, and they had told him it was mint. It has the two small dings around the pickguard so he returned it to the GC in Salt Lake for a refund, so I have some suspicions. But it looks to be in one piece so I took a shot. For this price, I can't lose. Even if it does need a repair, I am on Gibson/Epiphone's home turf. Lots of good techs here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have had the J-45 for about two weeks now, but it has been in the shop on Music Row, and I just got it out an hour ago. My luthier is John Levan, who writes guitar setup and repair guide books for Mel Bay, and he is a great tech. He did a crown and level on the frets, recut the nut, recut the slots in the bridge for the strings so he could get it intonated just right, got the action down lower, and now, WOW! It sounds like a much more expensive older Gibson. It sounded good when I got it from the GC in Salt Lake, but it had a couple of dead spots on the fretboard, but I knew John would be able to take care of it quickly. There was a customer in his shop who had just gotten his 66 Gibson J-45 restored by John and he was picking his guitar up at the same time, and he couldn't get over how good my guitar sounded. It sounded a lot better with him playing it, thats for sure. He really liked it, and John was pretty proud of his handiwork helping to unleash this guitar's sound. I haven't put it down except to write this little blurb with a BIG smile on my face!

Wow Red' date=' beautiful collection. I am not sure what the AJ-45's were going for, I hadn't looked into those. I got this J-45, without a case, but with the Fishman installed, for $450 shipped. [/quote']

$450? Wow! I shudder to think what they gave the guy for it who traded it in or sold it to GC.

There was a customer in his shop who had just gotten his 66 Gibson J-45 restored by John and he was picking his guitar up at the same time' date=' and he couldn't get over how good my guitar sounded. It sounded a lot better with him playing it, thats for sure. He really liked it, and John was pretty proud of his handiwork helping to unleash this guitar's sound. I haven't put it down except to write this little blurb with a BIG smile on my face!

[/quote']

I bet it sounds just as good when you play it--only you're behind the guitar, not in front of it. It's ironic that the player isn't in the best position to really appreciate a guitar's tone. I love it when people play my guitars to me, and I can hear them from that perspective.

Glad to hear your Elitist J45 is bringing such a smile to your face. It's good that you have someone locally who can give it a good set up and bring out everything the guitar's capable of. Your guy John really sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Enjoy!

Red 333

It has quickly become my favorite. I am staying in a hotel in Nashville while I am training and I just got the J-45 out of John's shop yesterday. I was really happy when I bought it at the price I got, ecstatic when I got home to play it, but now after being beautifully setup and intonated....man! It is just an unbelievable instrument. John works for a lot of pro players, his shop is right on Music Row, and he is well connected and knows a lot of folks in the Nashville scene. I am lucky to have access to someone with his skills to work on my guitars, because there certainly isn't anyone in Chattanooga that I have met that I would trust with one of my babies. He was astounded when I showed him the price tag from GC that was still attached to the guitar when I got it out of the box. I got the EDREAD case for it from Sweetwater, and man that is a nice case. As nice as the Elitist cases that I have seen. Kinda hard to come by the Elite/Elitist cases for acoustics, but I am happy with what I have. Thanks for all the comments and interest!

It has quickly become my favorite. I am staying in a hotel in Nashville while I am training and I just got the J-45 out of John's shop yesterday. I was really happy when I bought it at the price I got' date=' ecstatic when I got home to play it, but now after being beautifully setup and intonated....man! It is just an unbelievable instrument. John works for a lot of pro players, his shop is right on Music Row, and he is well connected and knows a lot of folks in the Nashville scene. I am lucky to have access to someone with his skills to work on my guitars, because there certainly isn't anyone in Chattanooga that I have met that I would trust with one of my babies. He was astounded when I showed him the price tag from GC that was still attached to the guitar when I got it out of the box. I got the EDREAD case for it from Sweetwater, and man that is a nice case. As nice as the Elitist cases that I have seen. Kinda hard to come by the Elite/Elitist cases for acoustics, but I am happy with what I have. Thanks for all the comments and interest![/quote']

Congrats on the Elitist J45.

I owned an Epiphone AJ45s I bought new back in 1998 for $500. It took a long time sitting in the stand next to my amp for years to open up and start sounding like my J45.

You got an awsome deal on that one! I hope my GC here gets in one someday and makes the same mistake.

Archived