Gibson Brands Forums

hollow body epi sheilding?

eezapz2101

hi i am looking to find out how to shield my hollow body guitar the guitar makes terrible noise if my hands do not touch the strings

i have a ground cable running on the back of each pot and to the guitars tailpiece.

help

Is the noise hum..or some other, like feedback?

What type of p_ups do you have (humbuckers or SC like p-90s)?

Have you tried another guitar cord?

Is the pickup ground wire soldered to each volume pot case and do you

have a solid wire connecting each volume pot to the jack frame?

Is the 3 way switch connected properly with shielded wire from the volume pots

as well?

Is the noise hum..or some other' date=' like feedback?

What type of p_ups do you have (humbuckers or SC like p-90s)?

Have you tried another guitar cord?

Is the pickup ground wire soldered to each volume pot case and do you

have a solid wire connecting each volume pot to the jack frame?

Is the 3 way switch connected properly with shielded wire from the volume pots

as well?

[/quote']

well its both. hum and feed back but only if my hands are of the strings

i have gfs loudmouths humbuckers

if i touch the strings there's no noise or at least it reduces

the ground wire is soldered to one of the pots and there's a ground cable that runs on the back of all of the pots

one cable does go to the jack don't know if it's to the frame

yes all of the wires are shielded i did melt the shield on one or two of them close to the pots

i soldered the braided and the ground wires of each pickup together on to the pot

well its both. hum and feed back but only if my hands are of the strings

i have gfs loudmouths humbuckers

if i touch the strings there's no noise or at least it reduces

the ground wire is soldered to one of the pots and there's a ground cable that runs on the back of all of the pots

one cable does go to the jack don't know if it's to the frame

yes all of the wires are shielded i did melt the shield on one or two of them close to the pots

i soldered the braided and the ground wires of each pickup together on to the pot

You should not be experiencing any humbucker noise unless you have grounding problem.

By touching the strings, you ground the guitar cord through yourself, so in essence

you are creating a ground for the amplifier input.

Here's an easy way to trouble shoot without an ohmmeter.

Solder a wire to the frame (the ground lug) of the guitar output jack, plug the guitar into the amp

and touch the other end of the temporary ground wire to different areas

around the pots, like the cases and the shields...see if the hum/noise is reduced

or goes away with that method.

Don't touch the strings while doing this though,as you want the loose end of the

temporary ground wire to find the cold solder joint/loose ground.

Good trick' date=' Carverman. I would have suggested just heating up all the joints, but you approach shows more finesse (and probably avoids heat-damaging components). Cheers.[/quote']

I've done a few rewires and this method fixed a couple of complicated wiring jobs on my own designed guitars.

BTW..your avatar..Million dollar Baby? or did Drew Barrymore give up acting for nude boxing?

I've done a few rewires and this method fixed a couple of complicated wiring jobs on my own designed guitars.

BTW..your avatar..Million dollar Baby? or did Drew Barrymore give up acting for nude boxing?

hi i followed you're advice but without luck nothing improved tried to different places and nothing what i did noticed was that if i grabbed the toggle switch the noise would go down a lot and if i grabbed all of the wires to the toggles sw the noise would get crazyyyy loud(the noise is not a hum but a constant rattling hizzzzz tha louder the amp on the dirty chanel the louder the noise but today i plugged my pod xt live and the guitar nor the amp makes noise

help

hi i am looking to find out how to shield my hollow body guitar the guitar makes terrible noise if my hands do not touch the strings

i have a ground cable running on the back of each pot and to the guitars tailpiece.

help

All guitars make terrible noise if you're not touching the strings. So keep touching the strings. There's nothing else you can do about it.

hi i followed you're advice but without luck nothing improved tried to different places and nothing what i did noticed was that if i grabbed the toggle switch the noise would go down a lot and if i grabbed all of the wires to the toggles sw the noise would get crazyyyy loud(the noise is not a hum but a constant rattling hizzzzz tha louder the amp on the dirty chanel the louder the noise but today i plugged my pod xt live and the guitar nor the amp makes noise

help

Did you use a commercial wiring harness? If, so were all the wires to the 3-way shielded?

Did you connect the shields to the pot cases and the jack frame?

Is the shields at the 3 way tied together and a short ground wire connected from the shields

to the ground lug at the 3 way...the thick lug?

Did you use a commercial wiring harness? If' date=' so were all the wires to the 3-way shielded?

[b']Did you connect the shields to the pot cases and the jack frame?[/b]

Is the shields at the 3 way tied together and a short ground wire connected from the shields

to the ground lug at the 3 way...the thick lug?

yes very commercial and very cheap harness

no not shielded they are normal electrical wires with the plastic shield but not the braided shield

and yes the 4wires to the toggle switch were tied together

now about the shields since theres is no braid shield it;s a no to the questions

there's a wire from pot to pot, from the out jack to one of the pots and from the toggle sw to one of the pots oh and one to the tail piece

yes very commercial and very cheap harness

no not shielded they are normal electrical wires with the plastic shield but not the braided shield

and yes the 4wires to the toggle switch were tied together

now about the shields since theres is no braid shield it;s a no to the questions

Sorry to inform you but the wiring harness you got for your guitarmaybe useless' date=' the

plastic jacket is insulation only not a shield. Some wires do have a plastic jacket,

tin foil and a stranded shield wire..that is ok..if that is what you have, but both

ends of the stranded wire need to be connected to pot cases and ground lugs.

You may need to [b']get some proper shielded/braided wire and start over again[/b].

I don't know where you got that wiring harness, but you should have investigated

and asked advice before you bought it.

In a high impedance guitar circuit, you should only have a bare minimum of wire

unshielded...that is usually the bit of shielded wire where the shield is pushed back

and the signal wire soldered to the pot tap (or 3-way switch).

Sorry to inform you but the wiring harness you got for your guitarmaybe useless' date=' the

plastic jacket is insulation only not a shield. Some wires do have a plastic jacket,

tin foil and a stranded shield wire..that is ok..if that is what you have, but both

You may need to [b']get some proper shielded/braided wire and start over again[/b].

I don't know where you got that wiring harness, but you should have investigated

unshielded...that is usually the bit of shielded wire where the shield is pushed back

OK so what do you recommend i should do now? buy a new harness? where? buy braid shielded wire and redo the wiring myself?

now that you mentioned that i remember the old and mest up wiring the guitar had was with braided shielded wire all of it and every wire.

mmmmm#-o =D>](*,)

no no luck what so ever.

but if i plug the guitar to my pod xt live it makes no noise' date=' but direct to the crate g212 and it's different story.[/quote']

I have a PODxt as well, but not the "live" version. Line 6 don't specifiy the input impedance on the guitar input

other than it's an unbalanced input, so I measured the input with a cord plugged

in and the unit turned on..it reads about 1megohm on a (2megohm)scale.

so thats roughly around the same input impedance as most guitar amps.

I'ts a bit of a mystery why the noise is not there plugged into the PODxt live, but

don't forget that these are digital boxes and they have, I would suspect signal

processing amplifiers that take care of most line noise issues. Your tube amp is

also roughly a 220K input impedance, but the preamp stage is a I/C and

not a DSP box.

ok i still have the original harness witch hass two problems the outjack was cut off and one of the tone pots wire turn way over to the point where the leadwire broke and now touches the braid do you recomend for me to rapair that harness? anyway i need to put the pushpull pot for the coil tap. what you think is it a good idea?

ok i still have the original harness with two problems, one the out jack was cut off and one of the tone pots was over turned to the poing of the lead wire broke and now is making contact with the braid, what you think? i have to install a pushpull pot for coil tap. is it a good idea to repair that harness?

ok i still have the original harness witch hass two problems the outjack was cut off and one of the tone pots wire turn way over to the point where the leadwire broke and now touches the braid do you recomend for me to rapair that harness? anyway i need to put the pushpull pot for the coil tap. what you think is it a good idea?

I suggest buying some 'microphone' cable, two conductors and shield and re-wire the lot off the guitar. Start again, it's hard enough to re-plumb a semi/hollow without turning it into a mare's nest. Btw the pickup casings, pots and switch bodies need to be grounded to the jack as does the bridge or tail piece.

I suggest buying some 'microphone' cable' date=' two conductors and shield and re-wire the lot off the guitar. Start again, it's hard enough to re-plumb a semi/hollow without turning it into a mare's nest. Btw the pickup casings, pots and switch bodies need to be grounded to the jack as does the bridge or tail piece.[/quote']

microphone cable? where would i use the mic cable? is it sheilded?please elaborate

I think it was a fashion/glamor-type shoot. But Drew is a tough-enough broad to carry it off. She's cool.
I thought that looked like DB .... I kinda sorta like her..... kinda sorta a lot....:-

Archived