Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200CE, or a Hummingbird?

ienjoypi

Okay I am caught between these two. I can't find the information on weather not the Hummingbird is acoustic/electric or not. That's a big deal to me. But it seems to have better hardware than the EJ-200CE. And I am also caught on weather or not it would be more cost efficient to just turn the Hummingbird into an acoustic electric even though it's not.

Please, help me figure this out and lend any information you may know.

Hummingbird has a solid spruce top - EJ-200CE hasn't, so the Hummingbird should sound better unplugged, & the sound should continue to improve as the top gets broken in. There are several soundhole & undersaddle pickups on the market, or you could just use a mike if you need to amplify.

Anyone that could, would buy a Gibson. No brainer. The fact that we're talking Epiphone probably means that, like me, it's WAY out of our price range. I didn't say it was a Gibson, Just has that Gibson sound. I played mine next to a 6000. J-200 and the Epi definately had that family resemblence.

I just tried out a Epi EJ200CE and it had a much bassier tone than my Epi Hummingbird but I like the size of the H-Bird I got plus it was used (I paid $250) and already setup nicely with a Tusq nut and saddle. I think you should try them out side by side if possible and then decide what type of sound you are looking for.

I prefer the J-200. If you're going to use it a lot live then definitely go for the J-200. I like the cutaway version too. My best friend has one and it has been a reliable live guitar for him, myself and a friend in another band at some point or other.

I prefer the J-200. If you're going to use it a lot live then definitely go for the J-200. I like the cutaway version too. My best friend has one and it has been a reliable live guitar for him' date=' myself and a friend [/b']in another band at some point or other.

Yeah, I know a fellow too who has had one for years and they are very reliable and not bad sounding with the right strings of course. The EJ-200CE I tried looked very nice and sounded nice too but up here in Canada they sell for close to $400+tax. Hummingbirds sell for around $425 here. I'd say you would do well getting either of those guitars. I only paid $250 used for my H-bird so I was pretty happy with that. I am going to install a pickup in it. You don't often see used Epiphone acoustic guitars of any sort around here. That is why I jumped at the Hummingbird. Again, it all comes down to personal preference and your budget too of course.

EJ200 all the way. Jumbo body has much bigger tone than hummingbird' date=' even if it's laminate[/quote']

dont agree with that personally, the epi version of the super jumbo hasnt got much tone at all.

its a bright sound, but the hummingbird is a lot richer.

i prefer the looks of the ej200 though....

I have a Bird. I've played the J-200( considered it for my next acoustic purchase)

The j-200 just didn't do it for me. I mean, considering it's size it didn't have the punch and boom I expected. It is said that those guitars can cut through a mix live quit well though..

It comes down to preference really. I can say that my Bird was bassy but, bright when i got it. It has over two years and many hours played broken in nicely.]I don't think that it sounds entirely "Gibson" but, it's really got a personality!

I think plugged in it's actually better sounding than my Gibson.

Archived