Gibson Brands Forums

Joe pass serial number not recognised? No inside sticker? Pics now here!!

mrjones200x

But that would mean 10s of thousands of production in one month? What if it not really a Joe Pass and somebody has modified it to look like one with the TRC and PG? can't be late 90s because it would definitely have the E stick on logo and a more recognisable serial number.

But that would mean 10s of thousands of production in one month?

Samick manufactures over 1' date='000,000 guitars a year. If you notice, the third digit on both questionable guitars are low (0 and 1).

What if it not really a Joe Pass and somebody has modified it to look like one with the TRC and PG? can't be late 90s because it would definitely have the E stick on logo and a more recognisable serial number.

No, they still used the silkscreen logo back then. This is from the 1998 catalog:

emperor.gif

And yes, the serial # is odd, but I don't thinkthe guitar's a fake. It's not '89 because they weren't made back then, they didn't use factory codes until '93, which seems to indicate it's a '99 or a fake. And a '92 would have had the switch on the lower horn. One thing that should be considered is that there wasn't a strict Epiphone format, for example Peerless used letters for the dates, most companies used 2 digits for the year, Samick used one digit but not all the time. (I had a '95 Sherry that used 5 for the year but I had a '95 LP DC that used 95).

BTW, this is not an Emeror II:

!BRKngewBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLlu)UgBJ8nP+f9MQ~~_1.JPG

It's an Emperor, the switch is on the lower horn. Early 1993 or before. That's why Mr. Jones can be a 1992.

Cheers for clearing that Jerry!

Regarding the production though, surely the number refers to the production number of that model not samick's total output meaning 10'000 of one model is still a crazy notion in one month? No?

Cheers for clearing that Jerry!

Regarding the production though' date=' surely the number refers to the production number of that model not samick's total output meaning 10'000 of one model is still a crazy notion in one month? No?[/quote']

Well, just as an example, I have a Samick made Flamekat serial # S01104511. I don't think they would have made 4511 Flamekats in one month. I don't think they made 4511 total!!! I think it's just the 4511th guitar manufactured that month, and I would imagine they keep a record that they could look back and say that the 4511th guitar manufactured that month was an Epiphone Flamekat.

l_8860e6a7adec464e96f4b2492cc4112f.jpg

Number 4511

The other problem is that if every model had it's own production run, you would inevitably have duplicate numbers to muck up the matter. BTW, Samick uses the same serial # pattern for their own models.

"The other problem is that if every model had it's own production run, you would inevitably have duplicate numbers to muck up the matter."

Ah yes this is evidently the crucial point. It would be interesting to know more about all this from an official record.

Thanks again for your knowledge!

"The other problem is that if every model had it's own production run' date=' you would inevitably have duplicate numbers to muck up the matter."

Ah yes this is evidently the crucial point. It would be interesting to know more about all this from an official record.

Thanks again for your knowledge![/quote']

I think it's more a combination of observation and guesswork than knowledge. There are so many variations and factories that it's very difficult to say that anything's an absolute. And there's very little official knowledge out there, we have to rely on each others experiences for info. Take care.

So we got a final year yet? 93 onwards by what your saying by pickup selector switch position' date=' 1999 maybe?[/quote']

1995 onwards. 1993 & 1994 would have the correct switch position but not the Joe Pass logo (added in 1995). Despite the funkiness of the serial #, S9 should indicate Samick 1999. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

• 2 years later...

hey guys just wanted to say i got the joe pass guitar to with serial S9206203 ^^ bought the guitar today. paid 300$ mint condition.

we need a pro in here so we can once for all date this s92 guitar lol.

i also have a epiphone les paul alpine white from 1995 that i just put on seymore duncan pickups on :) guitar and pickups cost me 340$ total. sounds awsome (sh2 jazz sh4 jb)

here is some pics

epiphone Joe Pass 92 or 99?

2012-02-06183706_resized_1.jpg

2012-02-06183713_resized.jpg

2012-02-06183732_resized.jpg

epiphone les paul alpine white 1995

2011-09-15191925_resized.jpg

2012-01-271757051.jpg

Your Joe Pass is a '99, not a '92. The Joe Pass model was introduced in 1994; prior to that the model was known as the Emperor II, and had the selector switch on the cutaway horn, and no signatures on either the pickguard or truss rod cover. Therefore there were no 1992 Joe Pass models. It was also typical of the Samick factory in the 90's to only use the last digit of the year after the S in the serial number.

Your Joe Pass is a '99, not a '92. The Joe Pass model was introduced in 1994; prior to that the model was known as the Emperor II, and had the selector switch on the cutaway horn, and no signatures on either the pickguard or truss rod cover. Therefore there were no 1992 Joe Pass models. It was also typical of the Samick factory in the 90's to only use the last digit of the year after the S in the serial number.

Thx man. but its still a strange serial. this is a left handed joe pass from 1999 and serial number is I99090646. in 99 i think thay used dubble digit for year.

(link) http://www.americanlisted.com/indiana_14/music_instruments_53/epiphone_1999_left_handed_595_12548454.html

and this les paul model from 1999 has the serial I99073309

(link) http://rhythmicguitar.com/1184/1999-epiphone-les-paul-standard-vintage-sunburst/

Thx man. but its still a strange serial. this is a left handed joe pass from 1999 and serial number is I99090646. in 99 i think thay used dubble digit for year.

(link) http://www.americanlisted.com/indiana_14/music_instruments_53/epiphone_1999_left_handed_595_12548454.html

and this les paul model from 1999 has the serial I99073309

(link) http://rhythmicguitar.com/1184/1999-epiphone-les-paul-standard-vintage-sunburst/

It appears each factory did things a bit differently at that point. Both these guitars ware made at the Saein factory, using 99 for the year, while the Samick factory that made the JP used only a single 9.

Archived