Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone Guitar Rig"

Actually Guitar Rig has been around for some time now (it's up to release 3) and is a major player in the software based amp emulation market along with IK Multimedia (Amplitube and it's various versions)

The software works with a fair number of DAW packages such as Cubase.

In effect it's no different to the DSP modelling in a lot of amps or FX units - other than the fact that it sits on your computer.

Ok, their software has a good reputation. Thats good to know. I'm not currently into amp modeling or effects, really. So I wont dog on the software other than its an LE version...for $120. The cost of the hardware is going to be minimal for the company. Its just a USB to 1/4" converter with a Vol. control and a couple of LEDs. It does nothing special. So you are (for all intents and purposes) paying $100 for a demo version of some decent software.

It could be cool. It's got sounds' date=' it easily connects to any USB. [b']You could take it with you to any friend's house and record with presets, at least for demos and such.[/b]

Not necessarily...unless your friend has a computer and software that is capable of recording, or you take a laptop. The recording features are in the software that resides on your computer. The box is just a converter.

Well if the economy continues on its downward spiral maybe we will get to see some price cuts but I'm sure that will be a last resort to increasing sales. I would rather see the price cut too. There was a price cut on epis at musicians friend for a little while but I think its over now but I could be wrong. Gibson did the price cut on their sg's so maybe epi will do something soon after the guitar rig promo is over. I'm still glad to see them offer something else to go with the price even if its not that great. At least they are trying something. This tells me that they are aware that customers are wanting something more for our money. Its a start anyway.

Ok' date=' their software has a good reputation. Thats good to know. I'm not currently into amp modeling or effects, really. So I wont dog on the software other than its an LE version...for $120. The cost of the hardware is going to be minimal for the company. Its just a USB to 1/4" converter with a Vol. control and a couple of LEDs. It does nothing special. So you are (for all intents and purposes) paying $100 for a demo version of some decent software.[/quote']

The only difference between the LE and 'Full' versions (AFAIK and assuming the same as Amplitube, etc) is that you get a reduced number of amp and stomp boxes. Other than that there's no difference.

As for the hardware - unless you've got a preamp with usb out (ideally) or a soundcard with a High Z input, using this or one of the other similiar adaptors out there is the only way you're going to properly be able to record your guitar using a DAW.

Thanks axe2grind. I typically look in areas/pages other than news releases to find things like "specs". Since I use Linux I might be able to run it through Wine.

Terms & Conditions refers to the terms/conditions or stipulations of the offer like which price. I was eyeballing the Epi Explorer and had a case of GAS coming on. Unfortunately the Explorer is $499.99 everywhere I checked. I'm not interested in paying a cent more just to get the offer.

Archived