Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for an Epi Les Paul standard

Guitar God

I was thinkin' Burstbucker Pro's or DiMarzio Super Distortions for that Ace Frehley tone' date=' but what do you guys recommend? I just joined this forum a little over a month or so.[/quote']

Depends on which guitar you're putting them in!

Hmmmmm....

1. Burstbucker Pros NEW - $149.00 EACH

2. Burstbucker Pros Scratch and Dent - $110.00 EACH

$$$$$$$$$$

I wanted the Gibson sound for my 2 EPI LPs, so I bought 2 sets

of 498T/490R pickups on Ebay - averaged out to $100.00 a SET. I installed,

LOVE the tone, didn't pay totally thru the nose.

One set came from 2002 Gibby Les Paul, the other from a 2005 LP.

Burstbuckers are the current "hot" and desireable pups, but very

cost-prohibitive!

(Run Away, Run Away....!!!!) - Monty Python reference....

Dimarzio PAF Pro/neck and a Tone Zone/bridge.

I like the Super distortion in my LP but I've grown fonder of the Tone Zone in my Firebird.

It has the sound that makes you say "Oh yea that's it...."

Yeah, but I'm puttin' the Tone Zone and PAF Pro set up in my RG along with a Fast Track one in the middle.

like everyone else said, it all depends on what you wanna pay.

personally, whenever i'm thinking about new pups i go to guitarfetish and look at all the GFS ones. they're probably a third of the price of all the pups you're looking at, and most likely sound as good if not better. i don't think i've ever heard a bad thing about them from anyone.

but hey, i'm just a broke college kid.....

Depends on which guitar you're putting them in!

Hmmmmm....

1. Burstbucker Pros NEW - $149.00 EACH

2. Burstbucker Pros Scratch and Dent - $110.00 EACH

$$$$$$$$$$

I wanted the Gibson sound for my 2 EPI LPs' date=' so I bought 2 sets

of 498T/490R pickups on Ebay - averaged out to $100.00 a SET. I installed,

LOVE the tone, didn't pay totally thru the nose.

One set came from 2002 Gibby Les Paul, the other from a 2005 LP.

Burstbuckers are the current "hot" and desireable pups, but very

cost-prohibitive!

(Run Away, Run Away....!!!!) - Monty Python reference....[/quote']

If you keep looking you can always find a bargain - I picked up my BB Pros from a guy who had bought a Gibson but wanted EMG's. Got them brand new and unused for $120 for the pair inc shipping to the UK. Same with the Vintage 57 reissue in my Dot Studio - found one on ebay. The guy had removed the cover to age it (suited me as I wanted it open) and I guess people weren't willing to take the chance that he'd stuffed it in the process - got it for £40 inc next day courier.

like everyone else said' date=' it all depends on what you wanna pay.

personally, whenever i'm thinking about new pups i go to guitarfetish and look at all the GFS ones. they're probably a third of the price of all the pups you're looking at, and most likely sound as good if not better. i don't think i've ever heard a bad thing about them from anyone.

but hey, i'm just a broke college kid.....[/quote']

Yeah, I am, too, lol. I'm only 17 and my dad is the one who buys my gear for me. I'm starting to lean toward DiMarzio's, 'cause I played an Ibanez Jem today and the pickups blew me away! But, I want a classic Les Paul/Liss sound.

Mine has the custom in front, and the 59 in the back, wired with coil splitting and out of phase options. i'm very happy with these. It may not be the absolute gibson les paul archetype tone, but i get lots of compliments. On the SG, iwent dimarzio. Air classic in front and air paf in back. The sg seems pretty much a rock , metal guitar, the les paul will do ANYTHING !

Archived