Gibson Brands Forums

EQ pedals for solo boosts

Hi i know nothing about EQ pedals except they change your eq settings.

If i wanted to use one just for boosting a solo and keep my amp tone/eq the same would you just set the eq levels all at the middle level and use the volume slider for volume increase for solos? I know this can be done with a volume pedal but if i wanted to use the eq then i could also for other things.

So for just for boosting the volume would all the other settings be in the middle or would i have to alter them to match the amp sound? Might be a silly question but i dont know so some help would be good.

Thanks

You can just raise the O/P level, or lower it , and leave the EQ side flat.

Best transparent booster pedal in the market as far as I'm concerned. Been using them for years, up front or through the FX loop...I don't leave home with out one.

from what I understand the volume level is usually used to match the box to the volume of the guitar when the pedal is engaged or disengaged; so you get an EQ adjustment with the band sliders without a huge jump in volume which might sound odd.

If you're looking for a big rush of volume then you can max the sliders and get hit with a wall of sound that might sound ok with single notes but might sound crappy with chords.

Bumping mids a bit would help you cut through a mix' date=' which is why Tubescreamer-type circuits are designed with a bit of a mid bump. [/quote']

LOL...you been bird dogging my EQs :D How I set mine a lot...especially with my small Princeton.

Since each band of EQ is a separate amp circuit for that range, when you slide one of the controls up, you are increasing the volume for that band of frequencies. Thus, the volume slider is necessary to prevent you from overdriving the amp and ruining your nice clean setting by overdriving that band.

The bonus from having that volume slider is that it can give you a boost for solos. That can be a plus if you have a single channel amp.

How would my settings on an eq look for 80's rock? The 'W' shape? 'V' Shape is for metal yeah? What should i do then? High bass high treble and high mids too???

That's pretty much something you really need to play with on your own because some guitars, amps and pedals react different depending on the combo....some are darker and some are brighter, along with mid push.

I don't play metal so couldn't tell you myself, but the V shape would be pretty mellow sounding IMO...almost jazzy. Also it might sound pretty good playing by your self, but in a mix it sounds like ***....to muddy IMO. Then AGAIN, depends on your rig...and who you are and type of music you play too I guess.

EQs are great. You might need to take you a few minutes to sample each slider by it self. Taylor the sound to the one that you like and makes you play, then just rock out. That's YOUR tone, Mr. J's rocking machine, forget about what everybody else does....If it feels and sounds good, then it's right.

forget about what everybody else does....If it feels and sounds good, then it's right.

You got that right. Nothing wrong with aiming for a specific tone, but at the end of the day, it's abou what rings OUR bell, and whether or not that happens to be a tone that somebody else has sought and cemented for themselves becomes quite meaningless.

So many cover bands are hung up in the "Gotta sound like the record" thing. I never carried two guitars to a gig when I was playing every weekend. If they didn't like my Strat, they never told me about it. In fact, I got lots of compliments on my playing from other guitar players in the audience. Now, you frequently see a triple guitar stand with a Strat, Les Paul, and an Explorer or Flying V on it nowadays. Gotta change axes and look like the pros.

If you are playing originals, you only need one guitar to sound like yourself. The same if you are a bedroom player, unless you crave the sound of several players.

I agree, if your tone turns you on, that's all you need.

I dont play cover songs just love the tone slash use to have that raw power chord sound and warm distortion, i love the 80's sound its just me. I also love the van halen sound with all the rich harmonics and powertube saturation at its best.

Now my new orange tiny terror amp running through my celestion G12T-75 speaker sounds real near but i think its missing the mids a bit but this speakers main function is for my laney amp which i only use now for metal stuff were scooped mids are the one!

Im looking into a 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's for this orange amp as it brings out the mids more (for what ive read and understand) Also i read the G12H is another similar speaker to the V30 just a tad more bottom end.

Its the sound i love without buying an inpractical jcm800 (Bedroom use) at a unexceptable price (Way to much for me).

Marshalls price range is to high and they have little in the way of low powered tube amps so i dont want a large amp for home use as i like to get that powertube working and the orange tiny terror i found sounded the similar to what i wanted for a good price that i could afford.

I only have 2 guitars now to as i like what i like and thats it. Got rid of the crap and unused stuff so now i have my gibson BFG for basically anything from clean (P90 is lovely) to rock and i have my Kramer guitar for any metal and van halen type music were the floyd rose is abused!

I also have an acoustic collecting dust which iu really should use or sell. Hard to part with tho as its a lovely sounding guitar

So many cover bands are hung up in the "Gotta sound like the record" thing. I never carried two guitars to a gig when I was playing every weekend. If they didn't like my Strat' date=' they never told me about it. In fact, I got lots of compliments on my playing from other guitar players in the audience. Now, you frequently see a triple guitar stand with a Strat, Les Paul, and an Explorer or Flying V on it nowadays. Gotta change axes and look like the pros.

If you are playing originals, you only need one guitar to sound like yourself. The same if you are a bedroom player, unless you crave the sound of several players.

I agree, if your tone turns you on, that's all you need.[/quote']

I play in one of those "cover bands" you 'fondly' speak of and pride myself on getting sounds that are exact/close or at the least appropriate for the differant songs we play and I too have recieved lots of compliments from guitarists over the years for my sounds, especially with my old ADA MP-1/Peavey Classic 60/60 set up and now with my Fender CT SE. Most guitarists say, "Man, you get the sound for the song dude!". Having a versatile tone system such as those and NOT taking advantage of their capabilities is a crime to me!!!

I am 42 (sorry to disappoint any who think I might be 2,000+, LOL) and have been using this method with great success over the years on both covers and originals. NOTHING bugs me more than when I see a band and their guitar player has 1 or 2 sounds for all the cover tunes they play, and often after 1 1/2 sets I get 'ear fatigue' because some sounds can become 'grating' to my and the more hip audience members ears. Unless you play Blues, R & B or originals then you can get away with 1 or 2 'signature' sounds and that's kewl. But SO MANY other gigging guitarists I see/hear have no clue as too good tone or do things like use a multi-effects processor thru a sh**ty Crate amp which can sound downright 'nasty'.

I also bring my Les Paul and 2 Fender Strats to my gigs, the 2nd Strat is basically a back up for the 1st in case I break a string and need to finish the song since the Strats go out of tune when 'string deprived'. I could do all the songs with a Les Paul but SRV on a Les Paul just doesn't sound as kewl and Judas Preist with a Strat just doesn't cut it, so the appropriate guitar for the song DOES make a differance, at least to me and my audiences.

And now with the new So Cal set up I have less tone choices compared to the multi-amp models in the Fender CT but I STILL am able to get at least 5+ differant sounds/tones with it for the differant songs we play and I'm also STILL improving and perfecting those sounds as I further learn the ins-and-outs of the amp. But I DON'T want to be a "2 Tone Woner" and get the sound (or lack of) that I criticize other guitarists for. In fact, purchasing the Cyber Twin made me go learn all about the original amp models included and I learned quite alot about amps in general from it and am glad I did.

Yes, a guitarists tone is a personal preferance and for some a life long quest, myself included. But the joy of an audience and fellow musicians ENJOYING and ENTERTAINED by their favorite songs performed well and appropriately is PRICELESS!!!

peace, tone & my 2 cents...

Jesus of Getyourampfixeditsoundslikecrapia

NOTHING bugs me more than when I see a band and their guitar player has 1 or 2 sounds for all the cover tunes they play, and often after 1 1/2 sets I get 'ear fatigue' because some sounds can become 'grating' to my and the more hip audience members ears.

Truth is, any good guitarist with a great amp and guitar should be able to produce numerous different tones with just a single amp and guitar. One of the finest live guitarists I know of these days is Michael Burks, and that guy can milk more gorgeous tones out of just his Lester into his mighty Delta 88 than most guitarists could dream up in their 100 preset wonder box. I savor every minute of his playing, every time I'm fortunate enough to have the night off to see this guy.

I certainly can't say that I've ever felt that way about the latest top 40 gunslinger who carries 50 different tones with him. I generally find myself yawning 3 songs into the first set, and heading for the doors early from those experiences!

Different strokes, my man! Different strokes!

I take 3 guitars with me, usually. Semi, solid body, and Ric 12-string. Mainly because if the other player(s) are

heavily into the "Fender" tone, I'll use the Semi (lead or rhythm) to compliment, it. If they're into their Humbucker

thing, then I'll usually use a Strat or Tele, for that bit different complimentary tone. The Ric, of course, has it's own

unique sound, and contribution, regardless of what the other players are doing. There's not a lot of "Ric" players,

much less Ric 12-string players, around here. So, I've never run into a situation where anyone else was playing that.

BUT...I played a Les Paul Custom, as well as the Ric-12, for years. Never had anyone complain (about that, anyway)....LOL!

CB

Truth is' date=' any good guitarist with a great amp and guitar should be able to produce numerous different tones with just a single amp and guitar. One of the finest live guitarists I know of these days is Michael Burks, and that guy can milk more gorgeous tones out of just his Lester into his mighty Delta 88 than most guitarists could dream up in their 100 preset wonder box. I savor every minute of his playing, every time I'm fortunate enough to have the night off to see this guy.

I certainly can't say that I've ever felt that way about the latest top 40 gunslinger who carries 50 different tones with him. I generally find myself yawning 3 songs into the first set, and heading for the doors early from those experiences!

Different strokes, my man! Different strokes! [/quote']

Well again, 'great amp and guitar' are again relative, differant strokes indeed...

In my previous post I didn't mean to come across like a tone snob, in regards to one's sound it's again, all personal preferance. If I hear a player in a cover/variety band with only 1 or 2 sounds but they are GREAT sounds and he's a good player and the band's material is appropriate then I can definatly deal. I just meant I'd rather hear a player try to get some appropriate sounds for the songs played (even on a old crappy Crate amp, LOL) than listen to one terrible sound the whole night.

Now if this Michael Burks is the same blues player I googled (also heard him on the Blues digital music channel, great player BTW) he again falls into that catagory where he can get away with 1 or 2 great sounds, it works in that context.

But a working cover band guitarist should have a little more flexibility and tone options or the music and audience will suffer IMHO, especially if you paly a wide variety of music. I do agree with you about a lot of todays guitarists' over processed sounds, and that's the reason I've gone to messing with a more simple all tube amp again but I never heard those complaints about my Cyber Twin. In fact, I had several players say they were considering purchasing that amp, that's how 'authentic' and 'natural' it sounded to them!!! But then again, it's all in how you set and program those amps. I try to use all of the Cyber Twin's capabilities but still not make it sound too processed.

The So Cal was a whim/want purchase, I didn't need or desire a new amp for lack of tone or abilities, I just wanted to augment my sound, experiment and have fun, which so far I have.

I think modeling amps are a valid tool but like they say, it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger and some people shouldn't have access to guns or modeling amps, people will just end up getting hurt, LOL!!!

JoS

Well again, 'great amp and guitar' are again relative

No, those aren't relative or subjective at all. The tones that they produce are, but not the tools themselves.

In my previous post I didn't mean to come across like a tone snob,

I didn't see it that way.

I just meant I'd rather hear a player try to get some appropriate sounds for the songs played (even on a old crappy Crate amp, LOL) than listen to one terrible sound the whole night.

It's tough for a discerning ear to tolerate bad tones, regardless of whether it's 50 different bad tones that come from a digi-wonder gadget or a one bad tone coming from a single amp.

IMO, it's far less to do with the NUMBER of tones offered up, or whether or not they match up with the given cover tunes being played, and much more about whether or not the tones are GOOD tones at all. Let's face it, it's not as if every single recorded song that we play in cover bands had "GREAT" guitar tone in its original format!

Now if this Michael Burks is the same blues player I googled (also heard him on the Blues digital music channel, great player BTW) he again falls into that catagory where he can get away with 1 or 2 great sounds, it works in that context.

You have to catch him live. His studio recordings don't begin to do him justice. For starters, it's nothing short of flat out impressive to watch a guy pour it out like he does for 3 hours or more, and not show a tiny hint of getting weary in his playing. If anything, he gets stronger towards the end of the night. Simply incredible. There's a reason why he's called the ironman.

Also, you really can't appreciate just how many tones this guy can pull off with one guitar and one amp until you see him live. I can't recommend seeing him strongly enough. He's truly one of the best, in terms of raw power and emotion. If you can appreciate blues guitar, or even guitarmanship and live performance in general, you'll be moved by this guy live, I can assure you of that.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on the tone palette thing. I guess I'm probably offending my "suffering audiences," because, at this point, I really don't care to sound like anyone else but myself. If they can't stomach the fact that my guitar doesn't sound exactly like Poison's, or whatever, so be it. I'll still learn the recognizeable solos note for note, unless we're doing our own version of a given tune, but I really have no interest in having anyone's tone but my own.

I USED to do the digi box thing myself, though, so I do know where you're coming from. I guess it's when I finally realized that no digi anything can duplicate grinding output tubes, and that this is where the magic happens, I just decided to focus on my own tone, rather than other's. I've got nothing in particular against those who focus on copping clone tones for each song. I just tend to find it a bit boring, that's all. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you and your audiences find boring, I guess!

What really matters, when it all comes down to it, is that the sounds that YOU'RE producing are moving YOU. If that happens most when you're sounding like whatever recording or whichever artist, then so be it. It's what moves YOU that matters, more than anything else. IMO, this is what really moves audiences, not the actual tones themselves. If the musician is clearly moved by what he's playing, that's the most important connection to that crowd, imo. Truth be told, most of the people we play for don't have a clue about tone.

LOL..this is sure taking a distant path from "eq pedals for solo boost". I mean it in a good way too. After 43 or so years of playing I still love to hear what other folks do with their live rigs....never stop learning is one of the keys IMO. Hell..LOL, I'm always stealing licks and ideas. Keep what I like, make it my own and toss the rest.

I use to carry a few guitars myself to gigs long ago...funny thing is though, it seem that I'd only end up playing with one most of the time anyhow. So know a days I mainly bring my Strat....actually pretty recent. Prefer my SG but I play with a few different people and it can go from country, jazz, blues, rock...most anything but metal. Anyways the Strat allows me to cover a lot more ground. A lot easier for a Strat to go into humbucker territory than getting some twang out humbuckers...or easier for me anyways.

Also been digging when the other guitar player has the same sound coming out of his rig too. Again that started just a few years back too, or recent....teaches you to really listen to others.

I hook up a few times with the same guitar players that we sound the same, but that's as far as the similarities go. Totally different styles....that maybe didn't come out right.

A good example is "Song from the Wind", if anybody's familiar with a few of Santana's stuff. Anyhow you can't tell the difference between Neil and Carlos just by how they sound, but you sure can by their playing. Same thing with Clapton ans Santana trading off on one of the cuts from the Supernatural album. Same sound, but totally different playing...or phrasing.

To me that is so cool and fun. Keeps the song alive, or not getting boring...the crowds sure seem to dig it. LOL...I know I do.

Anyhow the longer I do this it seems the lazier I get, so the less stuff I have to carry the better for me. It's been working for me with just a few pedals and my blackface amps so why buck it. LOL...I'm always still looking though.

Like already been mentioned, different strokes. Either the folks in my neck of the woods don't know music or don't care....all they care about is just having fun. Regardless of which, the later is what matters to me.

BTW and FWIW...I too play a lot of covers. Seems like that's about the only thing that pays worth a damn around here.

edit// Geez...I just noticed JOS, I've been playing guitar longer than you've been alive. If that don't make a person feel like an old fart I don't know what will. It's amazing some of us have lived this long with all the dumb things we've done. Then again my wife says nothing's change, so why stop a good thing if that's so...and she's never wrong, just ask her :-k

It's tough for a discerning ear to tolerate bad tones' date=' regardless of whether it's 50 different bad tones that come from a digi-wonder gadget or a one bad tone coming from a single amp.

IMO, it's far less to do with the NUMBER of tones offered up, or whether or not they match up with the given cover tunes being played, and much more about whether or not the tones are GOOD tones at all. Let's face it, it's not as if every single recorded song that we play in cover bands had "GREAT" guitar tone in its original format![/quote']

Exactly, and I completely agree, it's all how you use what you got. But bad tone is still BAD and some discerning audience members may not understand it but they know 'ear fatigue' and may hit the exit earlier than planned. And yes, some of the original sounds we seek to recreate were'nt that great to begin with!!! Further though, when you do get a 'signature' sound for a song right and pull it all off live, it can be satisfying to both the musicians AND the audience, even if they are ignorant of what all goes into making that happen.

Also, you really can't appreciate just how many tones this guy can pull off with one guitar and one amp until you see him live. I can't recommend seeing him strongly enough. He's truly one of the best, in terms of raw power and emotion. If you can appreciate blues guitar, or even guitarmanship and live performance in general, you'll be moved by this guy live, I can assure you of that.

No, I DO appreciate a great blues player and Michael Burke is definately one!!! And any good player with 'emotion' and 'feel' will be able to do a lot with a little, and again, in blues it translates better in that format than in Rock and Country, IMO.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on the tone palette thing. I guess I'm probably offending my "suffering audiences," because, at this point, I really don't care to sound like anyone else but myself.

I don't think we actually are disagreeing, you seem very conscience of your sound(s) so you probably fall into the "good tone' catagory, of which I am NOT criticizing.

If they can't stomach the fact that my guitar doesn't sound exactly like Poison's, or whatever, so be it.

Well thank goodness because Poison SUCKS!!! That being said I must now go take an antacid and practice "Talk Dirtry to Me" which I just learned in my one band for a very good friends b-day, Uuuugghh!!!

I USED to do the digi box thing myself, though, so I do know where you're coming from. I guess it's when I finally realized that no digi anything can duplicate grinding output tubes, and that this is where the magic happens, I just decided to focus on my own tone, rather than other's.

That's what I'm going thru now with the So Cal, I LOVE the all-tube deal again and I'm now trying to find the balance between finding my own tones on the amp and still being able to at least roughly duplicate some sounds for certain songs;

Boston: crank the midrange and add some chorus

(yes my band does Boston because I have a singer who can actually sing it and a kybrdist who can do the Foreplay & Smokin' keys solos, I love my bandmates!!!)

SRV: a little slap back delay and a cranked tube screamer (Bad Monkey in my case)

I've got nothing in particular against those who focus on copping clone tones for each song. I just tend to find it a bit boring, that's all. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you and your audiences find boring, I guess!

And neither do I (especially since I use a 'clone' amp) but a boring player and boring sound is gonna be boring regardless. Again, I don't think you fall into that syndrome even though I've never heard you.

What really matters, when it all comes down to it, is that the sounds that YOU'RE producing are moving YOU. If that happens most when you're sounding like whatever recording or whichever artist, then so be it. It's what moves YOU that matters, more than anything else. IMO, this is what really moves audiences, not the actual tones themselves. If the musician is clearly moved by what he's playing, that's the most important connection to that crowd, imo. Truth be told, most of the people we play for don't have a clue about tone.

Again, I 100% agree. It's all about what motivates and moves us as players/musicians...or what our budgets can handle, LOL!!! I just give my audience a little more credit because they tell me about hearing other bands and how they (&/or the guitar player) sounded 'bad'. Even I didn't think they were that aware. That OR my sounds are better than I think, LOL!!!

JoS

LOL..this is sure taking a distant path from "eq pedals for solo boost". I mean it in a good way too.

Well leave it to me to get "off topic"' date=' LOL!!!

After 43 or so years of playing I still love to hear what other folks do with their live rigs....never stop learning is one of the keys IMO. Hell..LOL, I'm always stealing licks and ideas. Keep what I like, make it my own and toss the rest.

Me too Rafael, we're NEVER too old to learn, right?

Anyhow the longer I do this it seems the lazier I get, so the less stuff I have to carry the better for me. It's been working for me with just a few pedals and my blackface amps so why buck it. LOL...I'm always still looking though.

That's why I (and my bandmates) think I'm crazy for this new rig, much more crap to haul around and cables to plug in, etc...but it's all about the 'tone' and that's where my head is at now. All I know is it makes me want to play even more now!!!

BTW and FWIW...I too play a lot of covers. Seems like that's about the only thing that pays worth a damn around here.

Same here, IF you can find a place that still hires live entertainment, so many clubs are cutting back and/or going to DJ's and Karaoke, YUCK!!! And what's funny is the economy hasn't hurt our crowds, at least for my bands, if anything our crowds are better and more responsive this year than in the past. I consider myself fortunate that so many people enjoy what we do and keep coming back with friends in tow!!!

edit// Geez...I just noticed JOS, I've been playing guitar longer than you've been alive. If that don't make a person feel like an old fart I don't know what will. It's amazing some of us have lived this long with all the dumb things we've done. Then again my wife says nothing's change, so why stop a good thing if that's so...and she's never wrong, just ask her :-k

LMAO!!! Too funny!!! I feel the same way with the good 20 something y/o players in my area, all great 'kids', and they are into the older 'good' music, IMO. I have guitar magazines older than them and it makes me feel 'old' but then again, passing on the knowledge I have learned is even more essential as I get older. And my teenage students only reinforce that!!!

Question? When you turned 50 did you start forgetting songs and stuff as bad as the last two 50 y/o players I've recently played with? Me and my other 42 y/o bandmate are worried we will succumb to the same 'ailment' when we gat that age, LOL!!!

peace & tone,

JoS

Humm...don't know why the quote thing isn't working for me, displays only two. O' well, guess I'll just babble on.

Anyhow nothing wrong at all with a lot of gear or the digital thing...what ever works. For myself less has just evoled out of laziness. LOL, plus I've found that a person could spend thousands on gear and still not sound that much better....or so has been in my case.

I find I just need three sounds, clean, in between and dirty. I can get that with my Blackface tube amps, EQ and a dirt pedal......the rest is just modulation. Delay and reverb pretty much cover that, or for what I play. Sometimes I might need some tremolo or chorus but not that often. Also getting pretty familiar with your rig is pretty important too IMO as far as getting the sound you want or need at times. Why I mentioned to Mr. Jones to try the EQs different sliders by them selves....so he can hear what each do and know where to go quickly to make changes if he needed to. Also you can get some to pull double duty, like using a wha as a filter.....lots of more choices. I use a DL4 delay pedal that has a pretty big foot print, so I try to keep it from getting to crowded.

Like the rest of yous, I too have tried the digital thing live. Sound wise, no problems I though. But response from my guitar's controls. Nah, seems I can only get that from using tube amps....so far anyhow. Yes I do love my tube amps, but I do try to keep an open mimd, so I am still looking....so far not much luck though.

LOL, as far as the senior moments and brain farts. Lord YES! I've been in the middle of a song and forget what's the next chord sometimes. Quite a few times I've gotten so rapped up in the groove I forget it's live and not the radio...talk about a warm fuzzy feeling and juggling around quick.

I was helping a friend out a while back and he would tell me the progressions on stage. His set for the night was pretty basic...had several bands and short time per bands on stage. Anyways most were just your basic I IV V type thing, the few with more changes he just wrote the chords on a napking.

But he did have to tell me the key though. One song he yells at me E7, and I'm looking at him in a daze wondering what the heck is an E7.

Not guitar playing related but still a senior moment. I pick up a friend the same age to go play a round of golf. Afrter stopping for breakfast we make it to the club house and he realizes then that he forgot his clubs. I mean what kind of person goes to play golf and forgets his golf clubs....none, has to be a senior moment for sure.

Anyways he rents a set from the pro shop, we play our set and head back home. We pull up to to his driveway and fall out. There waiting to greet us back were his golf clubs. The icing on the cake is when he suddenly yells out...."know I remember what happend".

Bumping mids a bit would help you cut through a mix' date=' which is why Tubescreamer-type circuits are designed with a bit of a mid bump. [/quote']

Similarly, the Electro-Harmionx Metal Muff has a "top boost" feature where you can boost certain frequencies to "cut through the mix." You can dial in how much boost you want for solos and then turn the boost on when you need it with a second footswitch on the pedal. The "full" version of the pedal (as opposed to the Micro Metal Muff or Pocket Metal Muff) also has a 3-band EQ, which makes it a pretty versatile pedal. I'm not a big metal fan by any means but I do like this pedal for its crunch and versatility.

I think the original poster might want to think about buying a compressor instead if doesn't necessarily want equalization but wants to boost his signal. A compressor will give him both boost (by turning up the output level) and the kind of sustain you generally want in a solo. I use my amp's overdrive channel and boost my Strat's (somewhat low) signal with a compressor and the result is a nice singing overdrive. I suppose that depends on how much drive he uses though. If he is using a super high gain distortion, sustain shouldn't be an issue (but neither should boosting his signal.) If he prefers a lower gain setup, it's easier for the input signal to fall below a level where it is overdriving the amp or pedal.

Archived