Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Problems

shartom

I have a Gibson LP Studio and a Gibson SG. Both are less than a year old ad are a pain to keep in tune.

On the other hand, I have five Epiphones..56 Goldtop Reissue, Sheraton, Joe Pass, Ultra I, and Special, as well as two Fender Strats and a original 65 Telecaster.

The Epiphones and Fenders have virtually no tuning issues.

I install the strings on all of the instruments the same way.

Back in the 70's I had a Gibson 335 and a Standard. I had the same problem back then. I got rid of both of them and am considering doing the same with my new ones.

I've read a ton of stuff on string installation techniques, nut pinging, nut lube etc.

The strings don't ping.

I use all of the above guitars (not at the same time) on gigs. The guys at Gibson US advised me to try the old pencil lead in the nut trick. For what they charge for their guitars, you shouldn't have t depend on a pencil to keep them in tune.

I use all of the above guitars (not at the same time) on gigs. The guys at Gibson US advised me to try the old pencil lead in the nut trick. For what they charge for their guitars' date=' you shouldn't have t depend on a pencil to keep them in tune.[/quote']

Well, I would say that is not entirely true. The tighter the nut slot without binding around the strings, the better. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that all Gibson's come as all other instruments do right out of the box ... Set up so they are 'Just Barely' playable. Meaning that the strings' slot depth at the nut are too high, and the bridge height is set too high. If you have a professional set up done on your guitar, not only will it play better, and sound better, but your tuning problem will more than likely disappear as well.

Just my humble opinion. =P~

The Grovers are better believe it or not.

Ahhhhhh, I don't believe it .... or maybe there's room for doubt, I dunno.... imho, it's rarely the tuners being an issue (not taking into account gorilla handed technique on the tuners)....... tuners would be my last bet .... nut slots and string winding would be first bets, without a doubt. Tuners get a very bad rap .... from folks who dunno how to wrap 8-[

yeah, that was bad, I know....

I think that the chunky chrome Grovers on my Wildkat are ten times better than the creaky, hard-to-turn, plastic bits of crap one of my students has on his new Gibson LP Studio. They both tune the guitar up though so I guess it's just personal preference, but if I was forking out cash for a Gibson I'd want something that looked prettier than the tuners they use on their budget and standard models.

Sounds weird to me. I only really learned how to string a guitar properly about 5 years ago, having been given loads of conflicting advice over the previous years. Since then I've had no ongoing tuning problems with any of my guitars, no matter what the quality or style of tuners. I've got Gibson/Kluson green keys on both my DCs...no probs.

Only thing that moves them out of tune is temperature fluctuations. Standing them on a stage near hot lights, or leaving them to get cold in the car overnight.

Ahhhhhh' date=' I don't believe it .... or maybe there's room for doubt, I dunno.... imho, it's rarely the tuners being an issue (not taking into account gorilla handed technique on the tuners)....... tuners would be my last bet .... nut slots and string winding would be first bets, without a doubt. Tuners get a very bad rap .... from folks who dunno how to wrap [-(

yeah, that was bad, I know....[/quote']

What you say is true........I just posed that question b/c he said his Gibbies are going out while his Epi's are staying true.

I realize that Gibson quality isn't what it once was, but I seriously doubt that their nut slots are going to be worse than Epis.

And unless someone else is stringing some of the guitars in question, i'd bet the same technique is being used on them all.

Archived