Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! Epi LP....GFS Dream/Mean 90

w1av

Hello,

I am STILL CONFUSED by the differences in the GFS Dream/Mean 90 P90's. The website asked not to send email asking about this and to go to a "guitar forum" instead. So here I am. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Classic...nice guitar. I had installed a set of GFS classic 59's a few months ago. It sounds GREAT clean but TOO DARK/BASSY when I overdrive it with my tube amp. I have a little Epi SG Junior with a single DOG EAR P90 in it and it has the sound I like. I don't play the LP much cause I am not too thrilled with the humbuckers. Does anybody know which of the 2 (dream or Mean 90) of these pickups would sound good in an Epi LP???? The websites description is lame and doesnt tell me anything. I want something LESS BASSY. I know LP's are naturally a bassier sounding guitar. But with the P90's I would think the sound would thin out better. PLEASE HELP!!! I want to order the right set asap.....otherwise this guitar just sits in case. Bob

Hey Bob...........I'm not sure which is less bassy,I've read that the Means are treblier, but have never actually heard any. Have you tried Iommi's old trick of rolling the amps bass setting to 0, and the mids to about 2??? (treble maxed)

Hows the SJM doing? I still love my '57 in VW.

the difference is the dreams are ceramic and the means are alnico. i was asking jay this time last year this question and he said they were both alnico. this year i bought a dream 90 in (i have 2 mean 90's already.) the sale part of the web. i was upset it was ceramic and jay cheacked and they are ceramic but he has not changed the write up. he sent me a mini bird instead though!

I have been reading tons of mixed reviews and I think you are right, Ron. There are so many variables that affect the sound. Les Pauls are inherently bassy to begin with so I am assuming by installing the Mean 90's, the guitar CAN'T sound any WORSE! It depends on the SOUND you want. I like the sound of Pete Townshend ala Live at Leeds. My Epi SG Junior with the dog ear is VERY CLOSE to that sound when I roll off a little volume and play thru my little Vox tube amp. I was messing around with that guitar and recorded this silly song:

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=123242

I was amazed at the SOUND I got from this recording....it is the sound that I have been longing for. For that particular style of song of course. Normally I do jazzy stuff. But now and then I like to let 'er rip. With the SG.

It really has the guitar sound I WANT!!!! The Les Paul is nice too but I can't get the BITING, SNARLING sound the SG has with the P90. It could be that surface mounted DOG EAR P90's have that sound. Maybe not. I don't want to sound like Jimmy Page even though his sound is killer too. The Les Paul is a beautiful guitar but it is way to bassy for my tastes. I have heard LP's with P90's and they sound pretty good. I know the GFS p90 wont sound exactly like the real deal, but close enuff for me. And better than the humbuckers. Ever since I got that little SG Junior I have been hooked on the sound and it seems to me I can get a similar sound in my LP. I am going to hold my breath and order a set of Mean 90's and get them installed and hope for the best.

I'm not a great fan of the GFS humbuckers but I must say that the Mean 90's are quite simply spectacular pups and not just in terms of value for money. No they're not the same as genuine vintage P90's but they're close enough as to make little difference.

Yeah I am glad I did the research!!! If I had the bucks and was going to do this to my Gibson SG Special I would probably go for the Lindy Fralin P90's. But I think I am on the right path to get a better sound out of my guitar.

Any other guitarists in here who have used the Mean 90's please comment!!!!! Especially people who put them in Les Pauls. I am looking forward to the pickups in mail and already have appt with my guitar tech! HA!

I put Mean90s on my LTD-Faux-LP and they sound great!!!

ltdcat_s.jpg

They actually had too much treble for me, so I moved them a little farther away from the strings and now they sound very balanced.

I can't compare them to Dream90s, but the people on this and a couple of other guitar forums who I asked pretty much the same question as you (which are better, Dreams or Means) all said the Mean 90s are better sounding pups, so I took their word for it.

Insights and incites Notes

Hi Bob,

Thats one nice guitar! How do you likethe LTD's? I was looking at one once and couldnt decide. It was an LP copy like yours only a different color. Anyway I ordered the Mean 90's yesterday and they should be here before the weekend. GFS is in New Hampshire and thats 3 hours from here. I got appointment with my tech to put 'em in.

Here is a current picture of the guitars I use most often:

guitars001-1.jpg

The jaguar-looking guitar has stock P90 type pickups and has a GREAT clean sound....I can't seem to get the guitar to sound good overdriven, even a little...it fuzzez out too much. Don't know why, even playing thru tube amp I tried all kinds of settings. I do have a set of GFS replacement soapbars that I could drop in but not sure if it will make a difference. I would think it is the pickups. I had guitar all set up and pickups balanced. So thats my next project. But those SX guitars can be made to sound NICE with a little work.

Archived