Gibson Brands Forums

have an LP & considering an SG 400 - need advice

alcorn429

I'll start by saying that I've got a les paul standard that I love. I bought it new and have put some money into it and it plays like a dream. That being said, I went into one of the many local guitar stores in my area today just kinda goofin around. Playin stuff I hadn't played. A buddy of mine that is a clerk there showed me a strat that was pretty cool and then he told me to come with him and look at this guitar that he had set back. It was a flamed top epiphone SG 400 he'd gotten in on a trade and he wanted $247.00 (tax included). I played it and it played great. Only thing was that it had a nick or two in the front. No big deal to me. The big thing I liked was that it was so much easier to access those really low frets compared to my LP. I talked to the guy and its $80 down and then $80 a month for november and december and then its mine (with some change). He also said that he would consider a trade. My only problem with trading the guy is that I really like my LP for some stuff and not so much for other stuff. I figure I could set up the SG with different pickup than the LP and maybe through some new stuff in over the next couple months and fix it up. So I guess what I'm wondering is do you guys think this is a good deal or should I pass? How do the two compare? those types of remarks would be helpful and for the guys who have both which do you play more? Should I trade the LP?

The SG is black with a tabacco sunburst flame on the body. Has epi standard pickups.

Thanks

IMHO, if you really like both guitars, then keep the LP and make your payments on the SG (if you are happy that it is a good price). If there are other deals like that around, then no need to rush. However, if this is one of those deals that you will regret if you passed it up, then GAS ON!!!

I think I'm gonna do it just because its a really good lookin ax. Love the flametop on black. What I may end up doing is throwin a bigsby on there and maybe after alittle while some pickups. Kinda thinkin along the lines of a bluesier style. I originally went in because I wanted to look at a strat or something with a whammy bar on it so that I could get that sound but I think this will be an excellent new addition. Definately gonna keep LP. Spent too much time and money on that guitar to get it where I wanted it.

I really like my Epiphone SG and think you would too. My best guitar purchase ever (bang for the buck) was the Epiphone SG MIJ model some of us were lucky enough to snap up on ebay. I realize that many of us are having to liquidate our guitar assets due to the economic mess the world is in. If push came to shove and I had to sell most of my collection, I would start crying over which ones to lose and which to keep. But the short list would definitely have the SG on it. Even if the stock electronics on it are not great, you can easily upgrade to something that would make the guitar sound like a pro's model.

Well I went in looking at strats because I just want something with a little different feel than my LP and I looked at a mexican made strat for 400 but I don't really want spend that much on it and the SG just seems like the most bang for the buck. My LP is geared up for hard rock and metal (dirty finger in the bridge and alnico pro 2 in the neck). I figure what I'll do is over the course of the next year mod the sg out with a bigsby like I said earlier but then either some p-90s if they'll fit or maybe a jb 59. I don't know exactly but I'm thinking I'm gonna want more of a jazz/blues type sound out of it. suggestions are welcome

I don't think I'd have a G-400 over a Les Paul, even though I love my G-400. SO I definitely think that paying off the G-400 and keeping the Les Paul is the best way to go. And the Deluxe Flametop G-400 is a great looking guitar. Might I suggest a Maestro Trem, rather than a Bigsby. The Maestro just looks fantiastic on the SG. I'm personally not a fan of Bigsby trems on SGs or LPs. Of course it's up to you.

A Strat is nice too though, but you can always add that to your list to get later on. A Mexican Strat is a good guitar as well. Frankly I don't think the American models offer more over the Mexican models to warrant the significant jump in price. The Standard Mexicans I've played have been well made, and great sounding, and the current models are exceptionally good.

Archived