Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Hum Problem Resolved

stumblinman

Hey guys, since previous thread got locked due to differing opinions on lifestyle choices, I thought I'd post a quick msg about what I did. I disconnected the bridge ground wire and it went away. All my other wiring checks out alright, so I guess I don't see why I need the bridge ground. Thanks for all your advice and diagrams, as well as the lively conversations. I knew I came here for a reason. Thanks!

My Tele has a bridge ground under it, I think to keep the bridgeplate from becoming energized, and/or to keep ME from becoming the ground in case of a short circuit in the guitar or especially the amp............

Congrats on solving the buzz, but for safetys sake you might want to read up on why it was grounded.

I may be completely wrong though, i've seen me do it before.

After a bit of consideration, I think Bender is correct. The other end of the bridge ground

wire must be touching, or be connected to something live. If it is truly grounded

there would be no change in the sound if you touch the bridge.

Or one of the live wires from a pickup is touching something??

It's silent for now, and doesn't shock me when I play, so I'm calling it good until I can open my other LP and compare. I'll do a little drunken soldering this weekend I'm sure. It's odd that it's necessary due to the fact that when you think about it, the strings,bridge and tuners are actually not even touching the other electronics. Why does it need a ground? I can see using it as a safety ground if you are playing and put your mouth on a mic that isn't grounded well and getting zapped that way, but just playing I don't see how it could be an issue.

I think it's a phenomenon called induction.

The pickups are powered, and magnetic. This causes an

electrical field to exist around the pickups. The strings are steel, and close

enough to the pickups to become electrified.

I think it's a phenomenon called induction.

The pickups are powered' date=' and magnetic. This causes an

electrical field to exist around the pickups. The strings are steel, and close

enough to the pickups to become electrified.[/quote']

You would be correct. I have been learning about this in my Physics class at school. Inductance and capacitance/capacitors were about the only component of the electromagnetic topic that I enjoyed, because of their relevance to guitars.

Essentially, the magnet inside the coils of wire inuduces an electrical current. The movement of the strings over the surface of the pickup causes a change in flux, which in the case of a guitar pickup, is the strength of the magnetic field. Of course, the changing magnetic field causes the induced electrical current to change, and it is this current that is the signal that, in simple terms, is transmitted through to your amplifier, and comes out as sound! This is essentially how a pickup works. Just pure Physics! At least I think I have that right anyway, I might be way off!

Sure is interesting anyway! Somewhat strangely, on the day we learned all that stuff, I was awake all night thinking about inductance, magnets, coils, and flux, all in relation to guitar pickups.

Ok' date=' after looking inside my other LP, I noticed that the bridge ground was soldered to the neck pickup tone knob, and my humming guitar was to the bridge tone.. switched it and voila, working fine and no more shock worries. Woo!

[/quote']

How odd... It really shouldn't matter WHICH pot the bridge ground goes to

as long as EVERYTHING is interconnected in the "ground loop" - Pup grounds

to back of a pot, bridge ground to the back of a pot, all pots with grounds

connecting from pot to pot in a "circle", and finally from the above-mentioned ground

loop to the plug-in jack.

If by re-soldering to a different pot you have corrected the problem,

then BRAVO! Perhaps it was a poor solder joint initially? It's good that

you've fixed it, hate to think of playing a git where "YOU are the final leg"

of the circuit!!!!!

Archived