Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot Mods a Go Go! :) (please open)

ImDesigner

Hey guys, I have big plans for my epiphone dot (Cherry) lefty guitar. Here is a list of thing I'm planning on doing, hoping for some feedback on what you think and maybe some suggestions?

Replacing stock pups with Bare Knuckle Mississipi Queens.

Getting a full setup done (intonation, fret polish, neck treatment etc etc)

Changing the switch, jack and wiring to higher quality (Would a guitar tech person supply these things at request of would I have to order my own?)

Replacing stock nut with graphite nut

Getting better quality bridge and stop tailpiece (again would a guitar tech person be able to supply these?)

This one im not sure about, thinking of getting it sanded down to natural and re-glossed (the cherry finish looks almost like its stained from the wood though, would this be still possible?)

Hope to hear your comments

The cost of what you're describing will be as much, if not more than the cost of the guitar if you don't do it yourself. However most, if not all of this you can do yourself. The pot/pickup rewiring is the hardest. Fret/neck cleaning, external hardware, nut replacement and intonation is relatively easy with some patience and a few inexpensive tools.

Welcome to the forum, post pics using this guide.

Guest icantbuyafender

Id stick with cherry.

Go with Switchcraft jacks and switches. Pots and stuff will be fine stock. The pickups will make the biggest difference.

I'd go with:

TUSQ Nut

Tonepro's Locking bridge + Graphtech saddles

TonePro's Klusson B3 tuners

Switchcraft jack and switch

...and your BareKnuckle's Missipi Queens.

This will make the biggest improvements.

Guest icantbuyafender
Id stick with cherry.

Go with Switchcraft jacks and switches. Pots and stuff will be fine stock. The pickups will make the biggest difference.

I'd go with:

TUSQ Nut

Tonepro's Locking bridge + Graphtech saddles

TonePro's Klusson B3 tuners

Switchcraft jack and switch

...and your BareKnuckle's Missipi Queens.

This will make the biggest improvements.

here are links to where i get my stuff

Klusson tonepros Tuners

Epi TUSQ nut

The string saver saddles i loaded into an epi lock-tone bridge

Switchcraft Switch

Switchcraft Input Jack

USA CTS potentiometers and Capacitors kit

Good luck!

Definitely get ALL the replacement parts yourself and supply them to the tech,

unless you just WANT to pay his "shop markup" on these items.......

such as, (don't know actual prices) p'ups, bridge,tailpiece & wiring bought online $250.00

same items, but bought from exact same sources and supplied by tech $350.00

The choice is yours.

Hi there, & welcome. I've been working through the same list of mods on my Sheraton bit by bit. Here's my 5c worth: the P94-style pickups change the sound (obviously!) but definitely for the better if you like p90 tone and don't like your stock 'buckers. I went with GFS but would get Bareknuckle if I could afford them.

You can do all that work yourself. It will be a steep learning curve if you do, but you'll end up with a guitar you modded, and that's a great feeling... There's a lot of info here on the forum.

When buying parts, check all measurements. Bridge width, pot shaft length re. gtr's top thickness, etc. Some models f-holes are to narrow to get full size pots through, Alpha minis are usually the choice then. The wiring is a challenge, but if you do it you can proudly join the small band of brave souls who have been through the f-holes of their Sheraton-335.

If you've never cut a nut that's a whole separate skill to learn. Go for a pre-cut, which you can if needed grind the underneath of, (on a carborundum stone or sandpaper block) rather than cutting slots. Again, just check measurements, you should be able to find a pre-cut to fit.

Bridge, tailpiece, I'm going for Tonepros or Pigtail. Expensive but I like good metal.

If you don't have it I'd recommend Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd Edition. Every player should read this even if they don't want to do their own mods.

Good luck, let us know how things progress.

P.S. IMHO keep the cherry! Refin sounds like a step too far :-)

Guest icantbuyafender
Wow thanks alot man' date=' definitely look into those :D[/quote']

Yepper!

No problem man, these are the parts i used.

My GoldTop had a Locktone locking bridge and tailpiece that epiphone just started using.

I like it alot, and decided to save money. Instead of a bridge/tailpiece from tonepro's i decided to just replace the existing locktone's saddles with the GraphTech string saver saddles. Huge and amazing improvement. Just as good as a tonepro's bridge from my experiences.

Those CTS pots will require a slightly wider post hole than the stock pots have. Its worth the minor woodwork. A Dremel tool or any rotary tool will suffice. Using a powerdrill will require a bit of care. Id use a low power setting.

Solder work is a skill that will pay off in the end, and save you some cash. Weller brand makes a good soldering iron that is sold at most SEARS stores or RadioShack. Wal-Mart even sells an affordable and worthy iron too.

Good Luck!

Someone here did a refinish of a Dot, he took the poly coat. I think he restained it and put a nitro finish on it. I don't know if he is still around, but it was a lot of work. Also, the veneer on the top of your Dot is fairly thin. So, if you do decide to do it in a natural finish, be careful not to take the veneer off. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that is just me.

Do the rest of the work yourself if you can and save yourself a ton of money. It is also really satisfying to sit back a play a guitar that you modified yourself.

I just posted last week on my own Dot upgrades using many of the parts are already mentioned above. This Forum is a huge source of useful info for these projects, I only recently joined but did lots of reading as a guest.

I got a pre-assembled ES-335 wiring harness from BCS Guitars made with heavy braided shield, cloth-insulated wire, "Mojo" CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and jack, and deluxe capacitors. It comes with complete pictorial installation instructions. I have no connection with the company, just a happy customer. There are other harnesses and kits from several shops online.

Added a black Tusq nut and a TonePros bridge with Graph Tech saddles. The nut is available pre-slotted, just sanded the bottom to lower the action and the sides to fit flush with the fretboard. The bridges specify "metric" for imported guitars. All shopped for on eBay.

A decent repair guy can get any of these parts if you specify, but the labor will add up quickly. I'd rather put the dollars into the parts. It's easy enough that I could do it, with no particular skills. Once it's all assembled if you're not 100% sure of the action and intonation, then you go for a simple set-up instead of paying to have the whole thing built.

I gutted and redid a Sheraton earlier this year. A pictoral/blog is -->HERE<--

guitar: $375.00

shipping: $030.00

case: $134.95

electronics: $075.35

parts: $127.53

pickguard: $017.25

total: $760.08

(did not include the pickups as I had purchased them several years before)

So, for about 10% more than a new one, I have one FAR better than new. I did the work myself and it took maybe 4 hours to get everything done. I only took it in for a final setup because I know of a tech who makes my guitars play like they never have before.

This guitar has been my #1 since its completion.

Archived