Gibson Brands Forums

Do I need valve retainers?

colin23

There just a 2nd measure really. Just incase they were to come out. They stop the valve working loose when playing and moving and so on. I dont think theyd come out eva but its there just incase. Mine use to rattle/buzz on my Valve junior combo so i took it off and it never fell out.

The valves hang upside down in my amp and if I need to get them out I have to give them a good pull' date=' so what are the valve retainers doing? the prob I have is i'm getting vibrations from them at volume. can I just do without?[/quote'] Are you sure it's the retainers rattling ??? I thought that initially with my VJr, but it turned out to be the crappy Sovtek tubes ..... for me, they never seem to last long before they start to rattle - have had no rattling problems with other manufacturers tubes yet (EH, JJ). Yeah, I've considered taking them off, but .... I figure another means of protection can't be too bad of a thing....and they only take a moment to remove.

You don't NEED tube retainers, but over time... something that's held in by straight pins to a vibrating surface upside-down will tend to work its way out... So you may want to, before and after each session, push each tube back in if it came out a bit. That or you could just put your head upside-down, and you'd only have to worry about people asking questions...

Hey, maybe that'll be my new signature setup... Upside-down head... maybe on a sideways cab... or maybe not, that might be overdoing it.

I took the valve retainer off and now it sounds fine, the amp WAS a valve junior but I chucked it all in the bin apart from chassie and cab, I don't want to upset anyone on this forum, but I got nothing but rattles buzzes and hums from the stock vj and it sounded crappy! So I got a kit from Ampmaker.com and replaced all the components and bought a new speaker, now it sounds KILLER.

I took the valve retainer off and now it sounds fine' date=' the amp WAS a valve junior but I chucked it all in the bin apart from chassie and cab, I don't want to upset anyone on this forum, but I got nothing but rattles buzzes and hums from the stock vj and it sounded crappy! So I got a kit from Ampmaker.com and replaced all the components and bought a new speaker, now it sounds KILLER.[/quote']

I doubt you'll upset anyone on this forum by modifying things. In fact, quite the opposite, I think they'd love to see pictures of the innards.

Archived