Gibson Brands Forums

It's a good thing I was sitting on the toilet...

animalfarm

...When I started reading the new Holiday Edition of

Musician's Friend Catalog. Not only have they started

carrying more and more guitar lines, but there were a

couple of "offerings" that made the toilet the right place to be,

saved a change of underwear:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan "Tribute Strat" - Only $17,000.00 ??????

2. PRS Limited Edition "Golden Eagle" - Only $10,000.00 ??????

Uhhhhhh.... Hey, Mr. Guitar maker and retailer, I haven't received

my bailout $$$ yet, how in the name of the "G.A.S." gods am I supposed

to have this kind of cash just laying around??? Good Lord, I can spend

$700 - $1,000 and have a supremely butt-kicking guitar, then fork out

another $1,000 + for an amp worthy of years of service, and that's if I

decide to go and waste my hard-earned $$$.

Still, $17,000 - $2,000 = $15,000 Gitas/Dineros/Bux left over.

Only GOOD thing, They have the Les Paul Studio RAW POWER git in

the catalog.... Slobber, Drool... I AM Gassing for THAT particular item,

$1,115.00. HAS to be a better price out there. Glad to see the maple fretboard,

but what irritates me is that back in 1981, I placed an order with my local dealer

for a White Gibson LP, gold hardware, and a MAPLE FRETBOARD. Was very specific

on my order. What came back was a White LP, gold hardware, and an EBONY fretboard.

I told the dealer "No Way, this is NOT what "WE" ordered"! He told me that if I would

PLEASE take it, he would knock $200.00 off the price, sooooo.... I ended up with an

ebony fretboard. I guess I was 25 years ahead of the times?

Heh ... we actually have a "Lenny" (the $17,000 Vaughan Strat) at the store ... behind glass ... in the electric room we have seperate from the rest of the guitar floor called, "The Vault"! They tell me that one was actually sold once.

Frankly, it's an amazing guitar ... an exact duplicate of the 1965 maple-neck Fender Stratocaster with a rosewood fingerboard that was ourchased from a pawnshop for SRV by his wife, Lenore. It is by far the sweetest playing Strat I have ever held in my hands. However, if you can do without all the "mojo": the cigarette burns, artifically worn frets and chipped crappy paint job ... you could do the same with another Fender Custom Shop Strat at a mere fraction of the price. I am not a personal fan of these "Franklin Mint" guitars, myself ... but at least this one is a player and not just a "looker"!

As for the PRS, the most expensive ones we have in stock now top out at around four grand. They are lovely to look at and a pleasure to play, but as I've said before, Paul Reed Smith is so anxious to build the "perfect guitar" for all players that he ends up sounding totally ordinary to my ears. It's not a Fender ... it's not a Gibson ... it's just a bland combination of both ...

Jim

As for the PRS ........ (t)hey are lovely to look at and a pleasure to play' date=' but as I've said before, Paul Reed Smith is so anxious to build the "perfect guitar" for all players that he ends up sounding totally ordinary to my ears. It's not a Fender ... it's not a Gibson ... it's just a bland combination of both ...

Jim

[/quote']

It's funny you say this, Jim. That's how I've always felt about PRS guitars, too. Stunning to look at, impeccable craftsmanship, but the sound is kind of "meh" to my ears. "Generic" is a good word, I think.

Cheers

No worries' date=' they'll all be $199.95 after Christmas...[/quote']

Ummmm ... no, not these, good buddy!

It's funny ... we can filp almost an entire stock of MIM Fenders and Epiphones over the span of a couple of weeks (they really can move that quickly). The high-end Gibson's and PRS guitars may hang around longer ... sometimes a LOT longer ... but eventually they all sell. and for full-boat too!

We all know it's nut's to pay that much for a guitar, but, let's face it ... we all want one and would buy one if we had the means at our disposal.

As for PRS, Harp ... I hear you. If only these guitars sounded as good as they look and feel!

Jim

Archived