Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Inspired By Texan. Reviews?

clarkuss

Those are nice-looking guitars. I look at the photo and take note that while I live in a major metropolitan area' date=' we don't have any guitar stores around that have that many IB'64 Texans. Actually, none of the local stores carry that model. I had to order mine online.

As an aside, I feel I should add that my opinion of the IB'64 Texan must be tempered by forum member ahrukidding's observation that I am nothing more than an "incredibly mediocre musician," so that handicap might devalue my opinion. That said, I haven't seen him around the forum of late, which indicates to me that A) his mom caught him on the computer again or B) the C.O.s at the correctional facility he's currently incarcerated at limit the inmates' time on the computers.

Just a guess from an incredibly mediocre musician.... [/quote']

Don`t Let ahrukidding get you down, I like your stuff, and your songs have real substance. As for being mediocre, I am hoping to move up to that level soon!

Steve.

P.S. I put a set of 12-52 Elixir 80/20 nanowebs on my Texan recently, and they seemed to be the best strings I`ve yet tried on her, unfortunately the low "E" was a duffer, so it`s back to D`addario.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate it. I'm not letting the guy get me down; I've had too many positive comments over the years. When the guy has achieved some of the things I have, maybe I'll listen to him.

Anyway, at the risk of having him or someone else again refer to me as an "incredibly mediocre musician," here is me using my IB'64 Texan on a tune I wrote, "Reno & Eddie's Blues":

Nice' date=' David. Maybe my favorite of yours. Was it inspired by any true incident or people you came across in your news career?

Rhyming Cuervo takes some b*lls!

The Texan sounds great, too.

Red 333[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words. I wrote this a few years ago but forgot about it, and remembered it for some reason last weekend. I was listening to "Blaze Foley Live at the Austin Outhouse" earlier in the day. Maybe that jogged my memory. (Great CD, by the way.)

The song got its genesis from when I worked in downtown St. Paul and would sometimes take my guitar in and head over to a nearby park to play on my lunch hour. I quickly discovered that a guy with a guitar in an urban park is a wino magnet. Invariably, they would either A) ask to play my guitar or [cool] ask me to play some Neil Young. It was always Neil Young. No idea why that was.

Anyway, one of the guys told me his name was "Reno" and I kind of made up this story about him and his friend. I have to admit that it doesn't put Reno or his friend in a good light.

Of course no sooner had I written this make-believe crime tale, one of my co-workers (another picker who would sometimes play with me) told me that after one of our park sessions, he had accidentally dropped his wallet. Reno had picked it up and brought it over to the office to return it.

Thanks' date=' Steve. I appreciate it. I'm not letting the guy get me down; I've had too many positive comments over the years. When the guy has achieved some of the things I have, maybe I'll listen to him.

Anyway, at the risk of having him or someone else again refer to me as an "incredibly mediocre musician," here is me using my IB'64 Texan on a tune I wrote, "Reno & Eddie's Blues":

[/quote']

that was, well, mediocre...

Only joking David - love your style and always love when someone uploads one of their own songs as well! what's the sunburst guitar in one of the other vids - is it a J45?

that was' date=' well, mediocre...

Only joking David - love your style and always love when someone uploads one of their own songs as well! what's the sunburst guitar in one of the other vids - is it a J45?

[/quote']

Indeed, the sunburst one is a J-45. It is a '98 and I bought it new in '99. I swtiched out the tuners last year with StewMac Golden Age Restoration 3-on-a-plate tuners, which work really well and give it a nice vintage vibe. Replaced the bridge pins with ebony pins. I really like the sound of it and it has long been my main stage acoustic.

The other guitar I play in my videos is a kit-built dread that basically has D-18 specs. Met a guy at a guitar jam that had built his guitar from a StewMac kit and it was pretty nice, so I asked him how much it'd cost to have him build one for me. When he quoted me a price that was ridiculously low, I told him to go ahead and do it. It has a few "tweaks" from the standard guitar. The main one is I had him carve the neck to a pre-war Martin "V" shape because I really find that shape comfortable. No position markers on the fretboard. Visually, it is kind of a sad-sack guitar, but acoustically, it is my best-sounding instrument.

Hello all,

Just picked a two month old TEXAN INSPIRED 64 VS for 300 bucks (245€ in my language). Will try and upload photos when it gets here.

David , I checked your stuff out on YOUTUBE. I think it's great! I'm working on being that mediocre too. That will do for a start!

• 1 month later...

Just got mine Texan Inspired By, sunburst. But I have a little problem, where do I put the battery for the pickup? I assume there's no battery in it now either, cause it didn't work when I plugged it in to my amp. Sorry for my pretty bad english. Hope you understand what I meant.

Mortimer

If you look at the pickup you will see two little "ears". Press these together and the battery holder will slide out.

If you dont understand properly you should go to the shadow sonic website and have a look at the explanation.

Be patient and firm but gentle' date=' it should just slide out.[/quote']

I had to use a screwdriver on one of the sides to get it out. But it was a battery in it.

Wonder why I didn't get any sound from my amp...

Maybe try a new battery....??

Did you have the volume turned up??

It worked now. Maybe I didn't turn the volym on the guitar just high enough earlier.

Thank you for your help, btw!

And you, do you know where's the best place to mount a strap button? The guitar doesn't have any at the neck. If you know what I mean?

do you know where's the best place to mount a strap button? The guitar doesn't have any at the neck.

Don't mar your guitar. Keep it stock' date=' don't drill into it. Instead of drilling into your guitar and adding a strap button, just make yourself one of these (see photo). It is just a small wooden dowel with a shoestring tied through it and looped through the headstock. My straps go on and off easily, it keeps the guitar stock and unmarred, and it is the old school way of wearing your guitar.

[img']http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/taxmanharrison/txatsml.jpg[/img]

Don't mar your guitar. Keep it stock' date=' don't drill into it. Instead of drilling into your guitar and adding a strap button, just make yourself one of these (see photo). It is just a small wooden dowel with a shoestring tied through it and looped through the headstock. My straps go on and off easily, it keeps the guitar stock and unmarred, and it is the old school way of wearing your guitar.

[img']http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/taxmanharrison/txatsml.jpg[/img]

I sumbmitted it to the local music store, and they fixed it for me. Only 75 swedish crown to get the strap button installed.

Archived