Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Inspired By Texan. Reviews?

clarkuss

Anyone want to give a review of their Epiphone Texan? I'm thinking about buying one because they're so cheap but don't want to rush into it if the quality isn't there. I can't wait until some of these new guitars start making it into shops in the UK but looks like I'll have to special order anything if wanted...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played one the other day and wasn't terribly impressed. Maybe calling it a Texan makes me expect some magical sound to come out of it' date=' but it disappointed. The Elitist in stock was much better - but also sold for over twice the price.[/quote']

How did the necks compare? My Elitist is very narrow at the nut....

I don't remember them feeling much different. The necks were about the same - quite within my range of comfort. Not as thick as my Martin... more along the lines of my Gibson LG-0, which makes sense. The Inspired had a thicker, stickier finish, while the Elitist was thinner and more comfortable - but that's to someone who prefers an unfinished neck whenever possible.

The Elitist had a much more "J-45" sound than the Inspired. It wasn't a J-45, but sounded much closer than the Inspired did. I was really trying to hear the "Yesterday" sound, like I'm sure many people are, the the Elitist did it much better than the Inspired did.

That said, I liked the way the Inspired looked - it was darker and had the vintage-style headstock, while the Elitist was a much lighter wood and had a more modern headstock. The Inspired did a good job of looking like a 1964 Texan, while the Elitist sounded more like one. They also have a signed USA Texan, but it's locked up and I didn't think it was worth asking for, since I wouldn't be able to buy it anyway.

Honestly, the best-sounding guitar I played in the store that day (which was limited to those two Texans and several $100 guitars, since that's the budget I was there with) was a Chinese-made Hofner dreadnought. If it weren't for what appeared to be an improperly-glued brace and possibly weak neck joint, I would have bought it on the spot. It sounded like the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe I played a few weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's at lot to be said, for "trying before you buy," especially with acoustic guitars!

The IB "Texan" I played, in a store in Wichita, recently, was GREAT! Beautiful full and warm

sounding, and very even tone/volume..string to string. I played both a sunburst, and "natural"

version. Finish was equal, on both...nicely done, and not too "thick/heavy" at all. So...like Any

other brand of acoustic guitar, they must vary some...instrument to instrument. I was really

tempted to buy it, as it's almost 200 dollars less, there, than on MF. For that price, it's a "steal!"

But, obviously, there are some that may be less, desirable, than anticipated. I'd say try out as

many, as you can...if the "Texan" is your desire!

CB

One more thing!!! I'm trying to work out which Tusq compensated saddle I should get, I think its the TUSQ PQ9200-lo but need to be sure of the length of the saddle on the IB Texan. can anyone help please!! Cookieman???

Thanks alot for your help guys!!

...filing down the grooves of the bridge?

Actually, you'd only file the string grooves if they were'nt cut deep enough in the first place, & the string kept jumping out of the slot. To lower the action, remove the saddle from the guitar & rub the bottom (the part that sits in the bridge) on a piece of sandpaper you have placed on a flat surface. Go to Frets.com for more repair & maintenance info.

One more thing!!! I'm trying to work out which Tusq compensated saddle I should get' date=' I think its the TUSQ PQ9200-lo but need to be sure of the length of the saddle on the IB Texan. can anyone help please!! Cookieman???

Thanks alot for your help guys!! [/quote']

sorry for the delay in answering your question in bed all weekend with bad stomach flu.

The saddle looks to be 2 and 3/4 inches. Hope that helps.

okay, that does it..... IM GETTING ONE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [cool]

It loooooooks too beautiful to be a bad player and even if it is.... I can still hang it on the wall and pretend it's Macca's!!!!! :-k

Thank you so much Cookiemaster (hehe) for posting the pics, you have excellent taste!

Archived