Gibson Brands Forums

Worn finish Explorers

metalpaul

Interesting. Doesn't look too bad, but too late to help me, I got 3 normal ones already and I'm not thinking I need another explorer with a 500t set in it. If it's anything like how my faded v compares to the standard model, it's gonna play extremely well but there's something missing in the sound. Not quite as much sustain, a little harsher sounding.

Looks promising though as a way for a lot of folks who want an explorer but can't or won't afford one to get their hands on one.

• 1 month later...

I am even less thrilled because my Explorer in Natural has been on order for 4 months, they are just not making them right now, probably because they are making a bunch of the faded versions.

I asked Gibson if they are making the Explorer in Natural and their answer was wishy-washy, means no but we cannot say no.

I just got a GC catalog and the fadeds are shown for $1099. What a ripoff. I'd much rather pay a hundred or two extra (at current prices) for the real deal.

They have the color listed on the website stiffhand. That sucks you've been waiting this long for yours. I have plans to eventually BB mine or I woulda considered selling it.

Yes it does suck, when I go into MF and look at Explorer in Natural the date keeps changing. Other websites do not have that color in stock either. Sweetwater.com says they will have them any day now...

The thing is that I bought mine for 20% off the old price so a brand new Explorer for $935 is not bad, if I ever get it...

• 3 weeks later...

Hell freakin yeah!!!, got my Explorer today finally...

Did not get an e-mail or anything, I was in my guitar room shortly after coming back from work and I see the UPS pull in front of my driveway and I just knew the wait was over, then I saw the dude pull a big box (pretty beat up by the way)...

I am tired tonight 'cause I had errands to run and still have leave in a minute but I will be posting pics soon and changin my avatar to show a picture of Cap'n Crunch...

First impression is great, this thing is set up perfectly, strings feel pretty new, intonation is dead on, nut is well cut, nitro smells good too. Knobs are correct height, wood is not a perfect match but neck and body are the same color.

I will have to post the name of the dude if I can read it in the set up card. Great finish, better than I expected.

Most importantly great resonance and neck comfort although I will have to break it in....

Awesome dude. I'm totally psyched for you. I was gonna mention they had a couple at the GC in my town, but the one I took down was horrible. Nut was a mile high, horrible fret job and some of the ugliest wood I've ever seen. Glad your's is decent.

My own, the neck and body are a total color mismatch although since the neck is dark, you can see some flame/figuring in it.The bottom body piece on mine is a little lighter on the top (where it meets the other piece which creates an interesting line, but like yours, setup and playability is quite excellent. I love the neck profile they use. Word of warning, just keep plenty of space around you if tis is your first explorer until you get used to the size, I whacked the tailfin on a few things when mine was new ](*,)

Well...it looks like I celebrated a little too soon. I was straping on the explorer and noticed a light reflection on the neck joint, I thought it was odd so I looked closely and it is the nitro finish cracking due to neck stress, I looked on the treble side and same thing, it goes about 1/2" from the heel of the neck. The joint at the back of the heel is cracked, at least the nitro is. Really hard to see, I had to use a flashlight. The cardboard box the guitar came in is pretty beat up but I cannot figure if the damage was on shipping or not. A real shame considering this is a great guitar, maybe if the string weren't tight (they were sharp). or packed better.

This guitar feels so good I considered keeping it but why would I? when I can get an exchange. The actual wood seems fine but there is a reason the nitro cracked.

I hope I get one that is just as good in exchange...(sighs)...

Yea, the case is not that stiff. Also the body does not sit on the case that well, the guitar is supported by the neck pretty much maybe that is what happened in this case.

Still...tough to crack a heel inside the case, how can that be?

Anyway the guitar is on its way back, great guitar and a real shame...

I thought the price was a little on the high side to start, but the worn cherry model I played felt and sounded good enough to justify it. But that case just wasn't going to make it out the door! The sides are not stiff, as StiffHand above says, and the alignment of the lid wasn't even correct. No combination lock either (I know those won't keep a thief out, but they do keep my 6 year old child out!).

• 4 weeks later...
dont_know.jpg

Can anyone possibly tell me what finish this guitar is' date=' I know its a '76 reissue with EMGs, but I was wondering where I could get one that looks similar.[/quote']I think that Explorer is an E2 from late '70s early '80s. It differs from the re-issues in certain ways. Biggest differences would be the multi-piece laminate, contoured body, and 3 piece maple neck.

I think that Explorer is an E2 from late '70s early '80s. It differs from the re-issues in certain ways. Biggest differences would be the multi-piece laminate' date=' contoured body, and 3 piece maple neck.[/quote']

Yeah, You'd be right! Walnut with what I guess to be maple, squished in the mix.

I purchased an '80 Explorer E2 much the same, but with the inclusion of a TP-6, which makes tuning a little easier 'on the hop'. (and 'scuse me for being lame, but I find playing with the pegs lined up, more 'aesthetically pleasing'... Haha! I'm starting to think I may have some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder).

It's pretty much the most precious thing in my life, second only to my girlfriend. (hehe)

Sorry to get off track, but I am also experiencing difficulties in the Dunlop strap-lock department, regarding fitting and the terrible fear of having to drill into my precious. Any help would be really, really appreciated!

Archived