Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul made in China

Gaga011

Hi!

I am apsolutelly new in this Forum. Namelly, long time ago I use to play guitar and I am thinking to start again, more for my self. 13 years ago I sold my Japanees copy of Les Paul and now I am considering to by Epiphone Les Paul Custom. What is my inquery? I am living in Belgrade, capital of Serbia, South East Europe. Here, in the bigest gutar shop I can by Epiphone Les Paul Custom for about 888 USD. This is made in China product. Looking so nice, but I will ask here for some comments and a help in that meaning. I will like to here how good is China Epiphone guitar, because on Gibson site I sow much higher price. I now that everuthing comming from China have to be cheeaper, but I will like to now is it good guitar? Is it with all caracteristics like „western sisters“? What is maybe missing? Normaly, I am aware that every prduct from USA have to be better as well as with higher price, but anyhow is this guitar valid for 888 USD?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, there are concerns about products made in China, and Epiphone is no exception. The problem, in my opinion, is a lack of quality control. Good merchandise and bad merchandise is packed up and sold, so you don't know exactly what you are getting until you have bought it. Epiphone claims to do quality control in the US for the Chinese guitars, but I sort of doubt that as it would entail shipping everything across oceans twice if they are to be sold in the foreign markets. I have bought several Chinese guitars. My Chinese Epiphone Riviera seems to be well built and I have no complaints. I am not sure how long the electronics will hold up, but it is fine for now. I won't make any other suggestions of purchases (non-Epiphone guitars) as this is an Epiphone forum. But just in terms of quality construction and materials, Japan seems generally better than Korea, and Koreas seems generally better than China. I don't know of any country worse than China when it comes to quality control.

Jeffery, in Louisiana where thousands are inhaling toxic hydrogen sulfide from Chinese sheetrock filled with industrial wastes rather than gypsum.

Guest icantbuyafender

test drive that epi les paul before you buy it.

That will tell you if shes worth the money.

I have a newer LP goldtop and apparantly according to some, a few models are still korean.

but, Ive played some china epiphones and have been hard pressed to find anything substantial wrong with them.

Gibson LP studios... thats a whole new can of worms.... blehhh

Gaga011, First of all welcome to the forum. Second, everyone is going to have their own opinion on Epiphone guitars. Like any other guitar manufacturer, you're going to have some good ones and some

bad ones. The main thing is to try not buy your guitar sight unseen. If you get a chance to go to one

of your local guitar centers that sells Epiphone guitars, try several out if you have that luxury. I did

when I was buying my Les Paul Standard, and it happened that the one made in China was the best of

the 10 or so Les Pauls that I tried out. So don't pay any mind to all the Chinese bashers.[-( Epiphone is an American (United States, that is) run company that just happens to be in China. It's not like the factory is fully owned and operated by the Chinese. So there's bound to be somewhat better quality

control. I'm very happy with my Chinese Epiphone Les Paul. By the way, you're looking at a Les Paul

Custom which is more top of the line, so what you're paying for it in your country is probably a fair price

when compared to the U.S. Dollar.

Gaga: I used to own several older US made Gibson Les Paul Customs years ago when they were less expensive. I now own a 2007 Chinese Epiphone SG, a '90's Korean-made Samick SG and a 2004 US made Gibson Les Paul Special.

I honestly don't find a lot of difference in quality. The Chinese Epi SG has plastic inlays in the neck, but the body and neck wood (mahogany) is very lively and the tone and sustain is very good.

I think that the asking price is pretty high for an Epiphone, but if that is the only dealer there is, then that's the price....

If you are interested, I would certainly play it and see how YOU like it-Yours is the only opinion that really matters.

Hope you enjoy it.

mark

Dear Friends,

Thank's a lot! Answers were helpful! I would have in mind, before I will make final decision. That Epi LP Custom is gold plated and here is only one dealer for Epiphone&Gibson, of course official! For example Epi SG G-400 is 435 USD, etc,etc...

Thank you.

G.

I read that Epiphone guitars made in Qingdao china are shipped to the respective gibson/epiphone headquarters that specifically serves a particular market (europe, usa). So is it CORRECT TO SAY that Epiphones purchased from Authorized USA dealers are inspected and undergoes further quality control at the Epiphone headquarters in Nashville? just wondering. their info on stateside inspection process looks pretty damn GOOD!

Epiphone is an American (United States' date=' that is) run company that just happens to be in China. It's not like the factory is fully owned and operated by the Chinese. So there's bound to be somewhat better quality control. [/quote']

Being American owned, only means that the company is driven by greed, and that "corner cutting" is runing rampant, in the name of "increased profit margins".

I really doubt that Epi moved the main factories from Michigan, to Japan, to Korea, and finally to Indonesia & China, in an attempt to make BETTER guitars..............

They're making them as cheaply as they can, with the cheapest materials and labor available, while constantly using lame excuse after lame excuse for RAISING purchase price.

Guitars that were origionally American made, and of good quality, for a reasonable price, are now made in 3rd world sweatshops, of the cheapest crap imaginable, and cost an arm and a leg to purchase (compared to many other brands).

Now, tell me again ........about this so-called "quality control".............prove it even exists.

EDIT: BTW, just so y'all will know this, the department that USED to be titled "SHIPPING" is now "Quality Control" in more companies than you'd believe............."Shipping Clerk" is now......."Quality Control Inspector".........meaning, if no pieces FALL OFF as it's being boxed for shipping, it PASSED.

Being American owned' date=' only means that the company is driven by greed, and that "corner cutting" is runing rampant, in the name of "increased profit margins".

I really doubt that Epi moved the main factories from Michigan, to Japan, to Korea, and finally to Indonesia & China, in an attempt to make BETTER guitars..............

They're making them as cheaply as they can, with the cheapest materials and labor available, while constantly using lame excuse after lame excuse for RAISING purchase price.

Guitars that were origionally American made, and of good quality, for a reasonable price, are now made in 3rd world sweatshops, of the cheapest crap imaginable, and cost an arm and a leg to purchase (compared to many other brands).

Now, tell me again ........about this so-called "quality control".............prove it even exists.

EDIT: BTW, just so y'all will know this, the department that USED to be titled "SHIPPING" is now "Quality Control" in more companies than you'd believe............."Shipping Clerk" is now......."Quality Control Inspector".........meaning, if no pieces FALL OFF as it's being boxed for shipping, it PASSED.[/quote']

Today, every company's driven by greed and so forth. I totally agree, they're gonna keep moving the factories because there's always cheaper labor. Still, they can't use the cheapest materials, labor, put out a crappy product and be able to maintain their reputation at the same time. Of course, profit margins are a big thing and they're getting bigger over time, that's capitalism at its best. If you look at how much the workers in those factories earn, then you know they'll never even be able to afford one of the guitars they make every day. But as I already said, Epi is determined to keep their reputation and quality standard, so there has to be some sort of quality control to assure that the products are not falling apart.

As for external quality controls, I know that there are various institutions in Europe which make sure. that the product is not harmful (material-wise or in any other respect), works well and that it fulfills certain requirements. Plus, any store will check the guitars they sell - they depend on their customers.

Guitars that were origionally American made' date=' and of good quality, for a reasonable price, are now made in 3rd world sweatshops, of the cheapest crap imaginable, and cost an arm and a leg to purchase (compared to many other brands).

[/quote']

Can I respectfully suggest that what you're saying here is stupid? I am offended when people like you suggest that the folks who make these guitars around the world are working in "sweatshops" and that the guitars are made "of the cheapest crap imaginable". My guess is you have never been to any of these workplaces where these people are thankful to have a decent job and take as much pride as they can in what they're doing. Most of them certainly don't play guitar, I'm sure (and they couldn't even dream of affording one of these things they're building even if they wanted to) but my guess is they're trying to do the best job they can.

Step out of your redneck mindset before you release this kind of drivel. Maybe you should travel a bit.

Cheers

Hi!

I am apsolutelly new in this Forum. Namelly' date=' long time ago I use to play guitar and I am thinking to start again, more for my self. 13 years ago I sold my Japanees copy of Les Paul and now I am considering to by Epiphone Les Paul Custom. What is my inquery? I am living in Belgrade, capital of Serbia, South East Europe. Here, in the bigest gutar shop I can by Epiphone Les Paul Custom for about 888 USD. This is made in China product. Looking so nice, but I will ask here for some comments and a help in that meaning. I will like to here how good is China Epiphone guitar, because on Gibson site I sow much higher price. I now that everuthing comming from China have to be cheeaper, but I will like to now is it good guitar? Is it with all caracteristics like „western sisters“? What is maybe missing? Normaly, I am aware that every prduct from USA have to be better as well as with higher price, but anyhow is this guitar valid for 888 USD?

Thank you in advance!

[/quote']

It might be worth your time checking out the Thomman website. They are a huge online musical instrument dealer in Europe. Their website indicates that they will ship outside of the EU, so perhaps they can quote you a price to ship a Les Paul to Serbia?

Go to: http://www.thomann.de/ and then click on one of the country flags to choose your preferred language.

And by the way, I played an Epi Les Paul Custom quite recently. Lovely guitars.

Archived