Gibson Brands Forums

I need some guitar suggestions.

BradenKeiser

Hi friends, My dad and I are looking for guitars. I am trying to find a guitar that'll last me awhile and can provide the sound I am looking for. I am looking for a guitar that is in close resemblence to the Gibson J50 and Nick Lucas guitars (not necessarily in looks, but sound and projection). I am currently looking at the Epi EL-00 and Masterbilt AJ-500ME. My limit is $500. I am really just trying to find a guitar for folk music that sounds like Dylan or Guthrie. I appreciate the help, thank you!

-Braden

My best answer is to maybe run down to your nearest Guitar Center and play a few. Every guitar plays and sounds a little different so I would suggest a "hands on" approach and try some out. At least then you'll have a good idea of what you want.

Unfortunately for Braden, the nearest GC is 116 miles away in Nashua, NH.

Montpelier is up there, only about 50 miles from the Canadian Border.

How's the weather up there Braden? Ready for skiing season?

Guitar Center Nashua - 116 miles away

258 Daniel Webster Hwy

Nashua, New Hampshire 03060

Phone: 603-891-5777

Mon-Fri: 11-9 | Sat: 10-9 | Sun: 12-6 Directions:

Ample parking in front of the store. Well lit parking lot.

Guitar Center Portland - 120 miles away

198 Maine Mall Rd

Portland, Maine 04106

Phone: 207-822-9822

Mon-Fri: 11-8 | Sat: 10-7 | Sun: 12-6 Directions:

Located near the Maine Mall by the Dollar Tree. Plenty of well-lit parking spaces.

Guitar Center Albany - 121 miles away

145 Wolf Rd.

Colonie, New York 12205

Phone: 518-446-1500

Mon-Thur: 11-9 | Fri: 10-9 | Sat: 10-8 | Sun: 12-6 Directions:

In the Wolf Road Shoppers Park On the opposite corner of Outback Steakhouse. Ample parking, with lighted parking at night.

Yeah, thanks. Weather is warm... 40's... I wish it'd snow. Anyway... there is a localguitar place. I am going to check them out ( I dont like them because they are extremely overpriced) and see. I was just hoping for some suggestions on what to check out. I also want to know if the el-00 is a Nick Lucas equivalent.

Hi Braden -

I would recommend the Masterbilt that you are considering - arguably, Masterbilt's are Epiphone's premium acoustic line. I have owned a DR500M for about 2 years now, it sounded and played great when I purchased it; it has only improved over time. Since any GC is a hike for you, considering contacting Sweetwater - they seem to be very customer oriented about set-up of purchased guitars, and returns. Good luck with your search.

Regards,

I would also recommend the Masterbilts. The only downside is that they are made in China, but that's easily overlookable. I have played almost the entire line at guitar stores and they are great! The AJ500ME should give you a traditional dreadnought-y sound, and should work great for the folk stuff. Great taste in music!

And, another "Welcome aboard!" I too, recommend looking/playing the new "inspired by" '64 Texan. They have a acoustic pickup system, as well...which will allow you to amplify if/when needed. The Masterbilt's are great, too. But, one with a pickup, will be a bit more. The "Texan" is selling, locally, for about 375-385...plus case. So, even with a case, you should come in, under your budget. As always...try before you buy, especially with "acoustic" guitars. They're all different, to some degree, even within brand and models. I have played 2 "Texan's," locally, and both were excellent sounding, warm, with good projection, with even string volume, all across. Other's may have different experiences, but the ones I played were excellent, especially...for that price point! Good luck!

CB

I am currently looking at the Epi EL-00 and Masterbilt AJ-500ME. My limit is $500. I am really just trying to find a guitar for folk music that sounds like Dylan or Guthrie. I appreciate the help' date=' thank you!

-[i']Braden[/i]

Braden, I have both of these (though my AJ500 is an M only--no E=lectronics). Of the two, the Masterbilt AJ500M is mucher closer in sound to a J45/50 than an EL00. It's an excellent guitar, with good responsiveness and dynamics, and a big bottom end and sparkling top. It excells both in fingerpicking and strumming.

The EL00 is a fine instrument, too, but it's a different animal; it's got a more boxy sound to it. It's voice is perfect for old bluesly stuff, but doesn't have the versatility, power, or expressiveness of the AJ500M. In short, I would say the EL00 sounds old-fashioned, while the AJ500M sounds classic.

Red 333

i would recomend the washburn southwest series....beautiful to look at and more importantly sound fantastic. whatever you decide to buy i would recomend changing the strings immediately to martin acoustic strings.[biggrin]

Archived