Gibson Brands Forums

1994 Sheraton pots

The Beatles27

Hello, I'm considering changing the electronics on my 94 sheraton. I'm here just to ask a few questions.

1. Is there a hole in the bridge pup cavity that allows electronics to be fished through?

2. If there isn't, how would you get USA pots through the F-holes (i noticed someone on HC sanded away part of the F-hole to fit the pots in)

thanks, TB27

Hold up now..

Every Sheraton II I have ever done has a route thru the center block in the bridge pickup cavity. Granted, I have only rewired about 20 Sheraton IIs in my life, so I am not infallible, but I'd put money on it. ($5 anyone?)

Anyone who widens an f hole to get pots in is a moron, may as well cut a hole in the back and put a control cavity cover on it if you're gonna do that!

OP- pull your bridge pup out and take a look.

Not to argue your experience Musikron, but surely you haven't found Sheris with a large enough route through the centre block to get a pot through? Or did you just mean wiring?

Beatles27, there are two widths of f-hole found on Sheris. Some, as Strumbone says, will (only) accept mini pots. Some will, with care and insulating tape, get full size pots through. I did my 2004 with CTS full size through the f-hole. My f-holes are 1 3/32" across the widest part.

There's no hole there on mine ... you have to go through the f hole.

the wires pass, of course.

And the samick sheris seem to have smaller f holes as well.

I cannot get full size pots in my sheri.

My recommendation is to either go with CTS minis.. and enlarge the pot shaft hole on the guitar.

Or get Alpha minis.. there are two models. one has a stiffer smoother feel to the turn which I like.

and they don't require any hole enlarging.

You don't need full size pots.. the CTS minis are FINE.

and the hole enlargement is simple and safe if you just take some precautions.

First, bevel the top of each pot hole with a small file.. all you want to do is smooth the clearcoat back a bit.

they take a drill bit and twist it by fingertips..

mask off the top around the hole first in case slips.

if the bit starts to get into the clear coat.. refile the clear coat back again.

the CTS minis have a larger shaft but not bad.. it's worth the effort if you want to get the CTS in there.

TWANG

I know, it's confusing. And its a tight fit, don't get me wrong, but it can be done. I have wired at least 20 of these things from various eras with varying f-hole sizes, and I passed the complete wiring harness through the bridge pickup cavity every time.

There is a channel on the control side of the center block between the lower bout and bridge pickup cavity. How do you think they do it at the factory? Finish the guitar before you out it together? Nope, this is how its done. Please don't go ruin your guitars, just look and try. The pots only go one way, and you may not be able to use huge big *** pots, but you don't need mini's either.

OK now I'm really confused. That Gibson thread was somewhat inconclusive, but it did include these two pics:

This is a Gibby 335 with a big hole at the bridge PUP cavity:

Gibsonroutinghole.jpg

This is a pic of a Sherry with a smaller hole, not big enough to get pots through:

Epiphoneroutinghole.jpg

'Splain Lucy...

Every Sheraton II I have ever done has a route thru the center block in the bridge pickup cavity. Granted' date=' I have only rewired about 20 Sheraton IIs in my life, so I am not infallible, but I'd put money on it. ($5 anyone?)[/quote']

Here's the bridge pickup cavity of my 97 MIK Sheraton II. Reckon you could fit a pot through there?

4158798411_68d371232e_o.jpg

last post on this for me.

nobody in this world will ever get a full size pot through my samick sheratons f holes

the small hole between the pups and the lower bout will NOT pass full size pots OR minis, period.

It's only big enough for wires.

I don't care how many others anyone has done. I'm not blind or stupid.

full size pots will NOT pass through my sheri..

I suppose one could dremel some material off.. bend the hell out of the lugs. and manage it..

but I see no point.

CTS Minis do fit and are as nice a pot as you could want.

TWANG

on my 92 sheraton made by samick the f holes were one and one sixteen of an inch, with some sanding on the binding the larger pot's fit thru. under the bridge the cavity was big enough for the mini pot's and wiring to fit thru. by using a chisel, a wood rasp i was able to enlarge the cavity for the big pot's and wiring to fit thru. ( my other hobby is wood craving).

Archived