Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera P93 Revamp!?

hey guys this for anyone who has a P93 Riviera and has done some modding to it, I would like to :

1. Replace the nut=where to buy and what kind?

2. New tunners mop trad gibson style : best for the price and for import guitar

3.new roller bridge for the bigsby: most recommended?

thanks guys I really need help with what kind type and size of nut to put in this beast thanks!

Max, I put a gold roller bridge from Guitar Fetish on my P93, and it looks sharp, but didn't seem to make much difference in terms of keeping it in tune when using the Bigs. The GFS model # is B11, $23.95 + shipping. It was the right spacing, but I had to make some spacers - the holes are bigger than the posts on the Epi, and I didn't want to drill it out for the included new posts.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gorobrfilesp.html

Pure stock my friend. It's amazing' date=' this guitar I just tuned, plugged and it was ready to go...

I just need a 90's one with the big buckers...[/quote']

+1....mine was (after a minor action lowering...for my needs, not because it was "bad"), a real joy to play

right out of the box! And...Still is! I've never really experienced any serious tuning issues, with the stock

bridge/bigsby combo. As long as it's used, as intended, it stays in tune reasonably well. Certainly as well

as any other guitar I own, that has a Bigsby. I've thought about putting gold "Grovers" on it, just for the

look of them, more than anything. But, there's certainly no need or hurry, to do so.

CB

Since the guitar has a 1.68" nut (standard with most epis) you could buy a GraphTech pre-cut, pre-slotted Tusq nut and slap it straight on. I did this with my Sheraton and it worked wonderfully. The hardest part was getting the old nut off and sanding the slot. Here is the link (check ebay as well, I got mine for a little cheaper):

http://graphtech.com/product-137-2/

As for the retro Keystone tuners, I just ordered a Grover set from StewMac. I did some research and most people leaned toward the Grovers because they screw in the peghead hole instead of just pushing through like some others. I haven't received them yet, but if they are anything like other Grovers, then they should be money. Here's another link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Deluxe_Keystones.html

Best of luck. That's such a sweet guitar. Very unique.

If you really want to make it feel just right for you, talk to the best guy in town, tell him what you want, and have him hand carve you one. You never get the best results slapping a pre slotted nut on. They don't account for string diameter, don't have a compensated string spread, and aren't slotted to the proper height. A hand fitted nut is 100% better than any generically fitted, cut by a machine in the thousands one size fits all solution. You replace the factory nut for more reasons than to change the material. Its like sticking to a factory set-up. Prolly not the best solution.

A hand fitted nut is 100% better than any generically fitted' date=' cut by a machine in the thousands one size fits all solution. You replace the factory nut for more reasons than to change the material. Its like sticking to a factory set-up. Prolly not the best solution.[/quote']

I agree completely, I just chose the preslotted because I like to tweak my guitar myself, and I don't (at the moment) have the cash to buy a whole load of nut files. If you prefer to take it to a luthier, then you will not be disappointed. I plan to hand carve the next nut that I put on, I just went with the practical solution.

Guest icantbuyafender

It looks to have klusson styled tuners... those are narrow posts so you may have to enlarge the post holes in order to fit the "screw in nut" grovers

GFS sells some DAMN STURDY klusson style ones with the green keys. I put those on my junior and they dont wobble like the cheapy epi klusson style tuners that were standard on all the good models like 5 years ago. In fact, my 2002 HCS LP std. is constantly hounding me to replace them with the GFS ones.

I think they are wilkinson tuners @GFS... Good stuff none the less. I promise.

Archived