Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a great intro amp...

narc999

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a great reasonably priced intro amp for my 04 epi LP custom.

I am mainly just practicing by my self learning guitar and attempting to play some tunes.

Nothing crazy. More of a office jam session amp.

ALso where would you all recommend to buy it online?

Thanks,

Narco!

For versatility and price - Fender Super Champ XD (tube/SS hybrid with effects):

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075

or for pure tubey goodness - Fender Pro Junior (all tube):

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480511

Sweetwater

Musician's Friend

Guitar Center

I don't own one, but the Super Champ XD gets good reviews on every forum I've been on. Don't forget the Roland Cube series as well. I've got a Cube 30X and it's pretty versatile, and also has the ability to use headphones and mp3 players for jam alongs.

As for online resources, I swear by Sweetwater. The personal attention you get + free shipping on everything are a real plus, and they're very customer oriented. That said, I've had good luck with MF as well. Your mileage may vary.

I would go solid state. Tube amps need regular maintenance' date=' and the noob needs to focus on the guitar, not the amp. Thats why I also recommend folks start on an acoustic. That way they learn to play guitar, not effects.[/quote']

I'm gonna disagree with this....because the Super Champ and the Pro Jr, as well as most small tube amps really don't need any more maintenance that the solid state ones other than a tube change every 2-3 years with frequent playing. Sometimes even longer than that.

I will also advise the Super Champ XD. The Pro Jr is a little harder for me, because it is so limited for what you are paying for it, but it is a great amp. Both of these are 12-15 watt amps, and you would never need that much power for 'office playing.'

So, your best buy would be the Fender Vibro Champ XD, 5 watts, 2 tubes, and 16 different sounds and 16 different effects. It really is a killer little amp! $200 from musicians friend with free shipping.

Jeff

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

So, your best buy would be the Fender Vibro Champ XD, 5 watts, 2 tubes, and 16 different sounds and 16 different effects. It really is a killer little amp! $200 from musicians friend with free shipping.

Jeff

Wow! That really is a good way to go for the bucks!!

Thanks for the heads up Jeff!!! Cool!!!

Hey are you stickin' around E'ville? I saw that you

were talkin' about movin..?

Archived