Gibson Brands Forums

Necks

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

Is it necessary to keep unused guitars that are in a stand de-tuned to prevent neck damage like warping?

Always wondered...

In the world of physics, no, you don't de-tune. If you want to loosen the strings up, then you should adjust the truss rod too. But since you are keeping the guitar out (on a stand) then tune it, and check it every now and then.

Actually, what I should have said is . . . send all unused guitars to me, I'll use them!!!:)

Sheila

Guest icantbuyafender
I heard of that as well.

I use my epi pretty regularly...

Are there other maintenance things I should be doing with my epi to keep it in tip top shape?

Thanks' date='

Narco![/quote']

Polish cloths.

Love em.

I have a LP standard that went 6 years without a real wipedown and the finish is less than stellar now.

shoulda polished her every once in a while instead of just using a sweater sleeve

Is it necessary to keep unused guitars that are in a stand de-tuned to prevent neck damage like warping?

Always wondered...

I think it was true a long time ago for steel-stringed guitars that didn't have a truss rod. The Fender Esquire did not have a truss rod and many had to have the necks replaced due to warpage.

Agree with Fender-less.

To elaborate, give the whole guitar a really good cleaning: body, neck, fretboard. Also all the mechanics, tuners, bridge, tail. Go over everything well, clean and oil the fretboard. Being winter time in the Northern Hemishere, now is a good time to oil fretboards to help prevent drying out from the heat, especially if you have forced hot air.

If the guitar is not going to be used, or if you are going away, put away in a case. If a case is not available, or if the stand is being used as decorative (showing off your guitars, keeping them in sight because you just love the way they look, etc.), then make sure you check it every now and then for dust. Keep out of the path of direct sunlight and heat source.

Love your Epi, it'll love you back!

Sheila

I've had a Gibson ES-330 that has been on a wall hangar since the 1970s. It has never been intentionally detuned (although it has been known to do that by itself). When I first picked up the wind synthesizer, the guitar went completely unused for a couple of years while I learned how to play the wind synth. Absolutely no harm has come to the guitar.

The only times I release the tension on the strings are (1) when I am changing the strings and (2) when I have to put the guitar on an airplane.

I'm no expert, and I don't know the scientific theory that applies, so I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. I do this from advice from guitarists who seem to know more than I do about the subject. And so far it has worked for me. ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

Just to ad to what deflepfan said. Don't oil ebony or maple fret boards. Only rosewood, and even then once a year (after it is properly conditioned) is more than enough. You really should only do it every few years, if at all. Some people naturally keep 'em oiled and adding more will just spring frets.

Try to keep the humidity between 45-50%, if you house gets dry in winter, keep the guitar in a case when not playing and keep a humidifier in the case with the guitars.

Keeping a guitar tuned to standard pitch on a stand won't affect the neck however keeping on a stand for an extended period exposes it to other perils such as an accidental knock over by a pet or person.The main thing to consider is that most stands use rubber as a cushioning and the oils in the latex can have an extremely detrimental effect on the finish areas where it contacts the guitar and the resulting damage is generally irreversable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived