Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Tuners

zagatron1

Yep, they're proper Grover Rotomatics. Or at least, they are completely identical to them [biggrin].

I swapped the black Grovers on my Explorer for some brand new chrome ones from a retail store, and they are definitely the same tuner.

the original grover's where made in the u.s cleveland ohio. the tuners that are on the epipi are made in china. the body of the tuners are smaller and the screw leg is angled as the u.s. one is not.when you order a set from a u.s. guitar store you get the better grovers tuners.

the original grover's where made in the u.s cleveland ohio. the tuners that are on the epipi are made in china. the body of the tuners are smaller and the screw leg is angled as the u.s. one is not.when you order a set from a u.s. guitar store you get the better grovers tuners.

I'm pretty sure that Grovers haven't been made in the US for many years.

I was under the same assumption that Ron G was. As to whether or not the ones on the Epis are of the same quality of the ones you might buy from Stewmac or MF' date=' I duuno. They are 14:1. However, I have NEVER had any problems with the Grovers on any of my Asian made guitars.

As far as the Epi Grovers being angled, here are a couple of pics. The first from my Sheraton, original Grovers. The second from one of the sets I took off one of my Epis to be replaced with a set of Vintage Green Keystones. I just put them in the package for shipping purposes when I sold them. Both show them with the screws straight down.

[img']http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jcwillow777/Sheraton%20II/SheratonII010.jpg[/img]

GroverRotomaticsinpackage.jpg

My SG has 18:1 rotomatics as stock. I have counted the number of whole rotations of the button required to rotate the peg one turn, and it's definitely 18. The ones that came off my Les Paul are also 18:1, I counted them just now. Where are you people getting your 14:1 figure from? Someone even said in a different thread that they're 16:1. Not in my experience. They're 18:1 all the way.

I believe the Grovers Epi currently puts on their guitars are 18:1 for 3x3, my LP definitely has 18s. My Explorer uses 14:1s, which I honestly much prefer, they are hard enough to use as is, I'd hate to have to wind them even more!

My SG has 18:1 rotomatics as stock. I have counted the number of whole rotations of the button required to rotate the peg one turn' date=' and it's definitely 18. The ones that came off my Les Paul are also 18:1, I counted them just now. Where are you people getting your 14:1 figure from? Someone even said in a different thread that they're 16:1. Not in my experience. They're 18:1 all the way.[/quote']

I don't doubt your findings Swoop, but I was under the impression that stock Epis came with 14:1. I replaced my Sheraton's 14:1 with 18:1 (only because I'd broken one, before that they worked fine.) I found, and it has been mentioned here before, that the 18:1 have a shorter screw leg. So the original hole needs a toothpick fill, but the 18:1 screw leg does cover the old hole:

Grover18to1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the "full" size Grovers have the leg straight down from the tuner, the "mid" size tuners have the leg at a 45 degree angle.

Archived