Gibson Brands Forums

Tubes??

bubbaike

It varys with how hard they are pushed.. run it at high volume they wear out sooner.. but you should get a couple years with normal use.. maybe longer!

The only thing you have to watch changing tubes is the pin alignment.

there is a circular row of pins. with a gap.

you have to line them up.

i don't know that amp, so i don't know if it needs rebiasing..

i thought a BC was a blues cube? aren't those solid state. no tubes?

Hey there Ike--E Poo... haha OK sorry. Well typically their really isn't a typical when it comes to tubes. The power tubes usually wear out due to use before Preamp tubes, but that's just in most cases. If you play pretty regularly a good matched set of 5881's could last a couple years before the sparkle is gone from your tone. Typically you won't notice this happening from one day to the next just over time. Pre amp tubes can last for many years or seconds.... Hope this helps[biggrin]

Hey Ike-e-poo, the BC 30 is a great amp. I have one myself and it's my main gigging amp. It only gets better as it ages. Tubes last a long time generally and if you replace them with the same type (not necessesarily the same mfg.) you won't need to worry about biasing. I always use the 15 watt setting. Never found the need to use the 30 watt cuz it cranks at 15.

I own a used BC 30 and am new yo tube amps. It was bought used in great shape about 5 months ago and I'm liking it more and more. My question is how often do you have to replace tubes and is it a hard job to do so? Thanks in advance for any info?

The tubes are easy to change, but the back panel has to be removed. The power tubes have a retainer that is spring-loaded and has to be pulled away from the tube and pushed to the side.

The preamp tubes have shields on them that are also spring-loaded, and have to be pushed down and rotated to release them.

To remove a tube, grip the base between your index finger and thumb, and gently wiggle it slightly while pulling it out of the socket. There is a key on the base of the tube that has to be inserted in a matching slot on the tube socket. Make sure the tubes are seated completely.

I recommend Tung-sol 5881 reissue power tubes, a matched pair costs around $42, and Tung-sol 12AX7 preamp tubes--a set of five costs around $75. The BC30 is self-biasing, so you just swap the tubes and you're good to go.

"The BC30 is self-biasing"

Sorry..... no such thing! What you mean to say is it's a fixed bias amp. It's a cathode biased amp and in either case it's always a good Idea to check the bias voltage when changing tubes. Merry Christmas!

This is a good basic overview of biasing http://www.aikenamps.com/WhatIsBiasing.htm

The confusion often is due to the fact that a cathode bias is actually a "fixed" value and most fixed bias amps have trim pots for adjusting the bias........it can be rather confusing.

Archived