Gibson Brands Forums

The switch to witch hat knobs

Gargamel

I've been lurking around these forums since I picked up my limited '66 G-400 close to 2 years ago now and I still love it, especially after a proper setup. One thing I've always wondered about though is the witch hat knobs versus the bell shaped reflector type. When did the Gibson SG make the switch from reflector to witch hat? Looking at some pictures of "original" '66 SG's, some have the witch hat and some have the reflector knobs. I personally like the look of the witch hat but I would like to know the history before I make the switch.

Also, does anyone know of a source, other than overseas, for some course spline witch hats? I've looked at All Parts, Stew Mac, Guitar Parts Resource, and GFS (all of which I found by reading previous posts). Stew Mac didn't have any witch hats and All Parts only had US shaft knobs. Guitar Parts Resource told me that their knobs are for CTS style pots and would need some "modification" to fit. I'm waiting to hear back from GFS about their vintage tele's, but I figure those would probably just look funny or not fit entirely. I could buy a pot kit from RS, but in all honesty, I don't want to do a pot replacement just for aesthetics.

Man, wish I had some good news but I've been here done this and you aren't likely to find this encouraging. I bought a set of Witch Hats off EBAY for my '66 G-400. They were cheap, in price; and about every other characteristic. They looked cheap, felt cheap, etc, etc. So I called Gibson customer service, you seemingly cannot buy Gibson Witch Hats because they are not a blister carded replacement part. Can't seem to order them individually either, (and if you could, would you wanna pay for those hunks o' plastique?) The tech I spoke with gave me some line about "only used on specialty models- not available for usual sales- check online sources, blah, blah..."

Online sources: find a decent specimen on Ebay and prepare to be shocked, find a decent set and try not to pass out.

I was just about to commit the Unholy Sin of (GASP) modifing Fender Amp Knobs... and then I realized two things. #1. I would not be able to stand the shame and ridicule, and #2. Witch Hats kinda take some getting used to, to operate quickly and somewhat accurately. For this '66, I finally threw on a set of black reflectors or top hats and called it good. I'm actually happier with it all in all.

If you gotta have 'em I understand; I wish you Godspeed in your quest... if you find something that works for you by all means please let us know. One last thing, do a Ebay search for Custom Knob in Musical Instruments. There's an overwhelming amount of different, QUALITY, hardware out there. Q-Parts, Hipshot, just to name a few....

Wedgie

Witch Hats --- really? I've always found them the least attractive of the Gibson/Epiphone knob designs. Speed knobs (aka hatbox knobs) are the best feeling to me, with bell knobs a close second. I always wondered why they changed to the hats in the first place, and since they dropped them after only a few years from their introduction, evidently lots of other folks felt the same way.

Thanks for the info Wedge, I guess they would stock them if there was more of a demand. I did get an e-mail back from GFS saying that their vintage tele custom knobs are coarse spline, which means that they should fit the stock epi pots. Too bad they say "volume" instead of "vol.", but beggars can't be choosers. I think I'm going to get a pack and try them out. When I do, I'll post a pic as an update so you can see what they look like on the guitar. For reference here's a vintage tele custom with witch hats.

On an LP I think the witch hats look out of place. But for some reason I like their look on an SG. I think it has something to do with the stripped down no frills nature of them, but I can't put my finger on it. I think I read on the My Les Paul forums that getting rid of the witch hats was one of the first things that a lot of people did. So you are probably spot on with the assessment of their popularity Parabar.

Those are a couple of beautiful guitars Notes, and I agree, they do look good.

I did get an e-mail back from GFS saying that their vintage tele custom knobs are coarse spline' date=' which means that they should fit the stock epi pots. Too bad they say "volume" instead of "vol.", but beggars can't be choosers. I think I'm going to get a pack and try them out. When I do, I'll post a pic as an update so you can see what they look like on the guitar. [/quote']

I used those knobs on a Sheraton, no problem:

MIJ_Sheraton_Body.jpg

Well the vintage tele witch hats from GFS came in and they fit like a charm onto the stock Epi pots. Small aesthetic change, but I think they look pretty sweet on the SG.

As promised here is a before, after, and close up comparison.

Thanks to all for the input.

Before:

bellreflector.jpg

After:

witchhat.jpg

Comparison:

sidebyside.jpg

Those look a lot better than the set I got way back when... the hash marks and digits appear to be much sharper and better defined in your photo than the junk I got. Are the silver lettered tops a decal? Do they look like a paper label or like something that might wear for awhile without smudgin' off? From here they look pretty good, what did that set cost if you don't mind sayin'?

Wedgie

The tops are definitely paper or foil decals so they shouldn't smudge unless the adhesive starts to give. GFS sells the set of 4 for $12.95 but shipping was $7.00 [biggrin] . I was really surprised to see that high of a shipping cost but that might be the going rate now. Overall I'm very happy with them. The feel is different than the reflectors (obviously), but so far I haven't had issues adjusting the pots on the fly.

Archived