Gibson Brands Forums

Intro and a question -- NGD Dot

rdsmith3

I just bought an Epiphone Dot. I am returning to the guitar after many decades in exile. I previously played classical and acoustic, so this is a whole new thing for me. Wow, this guitar is a lot of fun and looks great, too.

I don't think there is a lot of love for these guitars because I got it for $249 at Guitar Center. It seems like they were trying to get rid of it.

Anyway, my question is about humidity. I do not yet have a case for it, and it sits on a stand. The humidity is very low in our house at this time of the year. With my classical and acoustic guitars, I keep them in a case with humidifiers. Do I need to do that with this guitar? I am concerned about sticking a Dampit humidifier in the F hole because of the electronics.

638601.jpg

Welcome! And HNGD to you! As your opener you are probably going to upset a few people here . . . a gorgeous Natural Epi Dot for @249? Way to go!

Do you happen to know what the actual humidity is in your house? If it is really low, you could set up the guitar in a room with a humidifier, just be careful not to run it too high, and don't keep the door to the room closed at all times. Ventilation would be key. By keeping the guitar on the opposite side of the room as the heat duct and humidifier, it would be safe.

I'm sure that there are others here with great ideas, and they will stop by soon enough.

Again, welcome, and nice find!

Sheila

Thanks. I have an office in the basement of my house. The humidity is roughly 40% now in the basement overall (there is a humidity indicator on the dehumidifier I use in the summer). The guitar is away from the baseboard heat and away from the window.

I think you would want to raise it to 45-50% humidity. Hope you have an understanding spouse when you explain that you need to buy the humidifier just for the guitar!!

Sheila

cough cough

I need one for my breathing problems

cough cough

My wife is great but she does not understand the electric guitar fascination and mumbled something about me revisiting my adolescence.

One other question. This guitar seems sort of neck heavy compared to a solid body' date=' and when I play standing up, the neck end tends to slide down.

Would a suede strap help that problem?

[/quote']

Yup. I have that problem with the SG. Changed the strap and it helped.

Sheila

PS - You REALLY need to do something about that cough!![biggrin]

Congrats, and welcome. Nice Dot for a great price!

If you are looking for a case I will recommend two. I got an Epi case for my Sherry and a Gator hard case for my Dot. Both are good cases and worth the investment. I got the Gator casue my Epi case was backordered for like 4 months. I got impatient and got the Gator case.

Now, how about some real pics?

Here are some pics of the real one

758466162_REHpw-L.jpg

758466072_E85uc-L.jpg

758465381_V3ZZB-M.jpg

758465784_MxJeL-M.jpg

758466027_3q8fh-M.jpg

The humidity in my basement is now 20% -- eek!

Could this be the back of my new guitar?

758465304_5yurj-S.jpg

No, actually it is a Spanish guitar I found in the neighbor's trash

758465157_AXciZ-S.jpg

As a temporary measure, I stole this from one of the kids rooms to get the humidity up

758466196_QdHFJ-S.jpg

Welcome to the Epi forum, and congratulations on a beautiful guitar! $249 is a terrific price for that guitar. Regarding humidity, I would be concerned if my guitars were subjected to %20 humidity for more than a very short period of time. I would probably look at one of those Dampits, or some equivalent. Perhaps a humidifier that you could put in your case but not in the body of the guitar if you're worried about the electronics (I don't know if I would be, but it's a valid point).

Just so happens my house has a 70 gallon marine aquarium with an open top. I keep a digital humidistat in one of my cases and it shows that my domicile is between %47-%50 all year 'round, which, according to Bob Taylor is about perfect. (However I do need to replenish about 1.5 gallons of water in my tank every couple of days). For a really insightful bunch of info re humidification, search Taylor Guitar's website (under "Factory Fridays") for a video series by Mr. Taylor on humidification. It is very enlightening and will probably help you decide what you need to do.

Cheers

20% is low.

That guitar is laminate, so the chances of you getting cracks like that are very slim, even at 20% humidity. But what you will experience at that humidity is the fret ends protruding from the fret board due to the rosewood shrinking.

As far as a humidifier goes, no steam. You want a cool air humidifier or you can wind up with a whole other set of problems. They're pretty cheap, I think I paid all of $30 for mine.

Nice top on that one, I dig the color, almost butterscotch.

I know nothing about humdifiers or any of that' date=' but I do know that that's a gorgeous guitar, especially for that money. That finish is beautiful.[/quote']

I second that!

Really nice!

Oh... wait... no... oh... G.A.S. attack... must go...

Archived