Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie Question : Sheraton II

ploofy

Hey folks, am new to the Forum and I have a quick question re: identifying my guitar

I called Gibson, but they were NO help so, I trust someone here can be

I have what is identified on the interior blue label as

Sheraton II Reissue

and then a white label affixed over top with a serial number

It has gold hardware, an inlaid mother of pearl or pearloid embellishment on the headstock of flowers

All of the hardware is Gold

Two mini (could be new yorks) humbuckers

There is a small sticker affixed to the back of the headstock that reads "assembled in the USA"

The tuners are gold grovers

I bought this guitar before I started to collect and amongst all my guitars, I have a 62 SG, White Falcon, Gretsch 6120, vintage tele and strat, this thing is one of the sweetest...but I am having a hell of a time getting the low down on where it fits in the Epi family and the Sheraton family and the guy I bought it from was a bit slow...though he sure took care of this, dressing the frets before handing it over to me...I dunno, maybe he was despondent (lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I will attempt to post some pics

Thanks

AIUSA (Assembled In USA) Body and neck were made in Japan within the Elitist factory,

then shipped, and the neck and body were assembled, then painted here, in Nashville

(or Memphis). Just how much "assembly" was actually done here, has been debated.

Some think the bodies and necks were assembled and painted in Japan, as well...but,

other's feel they were assembled here (as advertised) and painted in "Nitro," (since the

finishing is the last step, before the pickups and parts are put on), along with the regular

Gibson guitars, here. That's always made more sense, to me...but, only Gibson knows for

sure, I guess?

This is my "Assembled In USA" Sheraton II (Sheraton or AKA Sheraton I has a frequensator

tailpiece, as opposed to the stop bar, on the Sheraton II's.) All original USA, and Japanese

"Elitist" Sheratons have mini-humbuckers. More recent Korean and Chinese Sheraton's have

full size humbuckers. Some early Japanese versions had full sized humbuckers, as well as

frequensator tailpieces. All Asian Sheratons (save the Elitist) have clipped corner headstocks,

similar to the current Korean and later Chinese version. The original USA (Pre-1970) Sheraton

headtocks are like the one below. The Elitist has more the standard "hour-glass" headstock, but

with the normal "Sheraton" appointments, of binding and inlay.

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

CB

Wow, thanks CB. That looks very much like mine (the E has been removed from the pickguard) and I have standard grover heads and yours seems to have Imperials...Are the Imperials Standard and were mine changed? Or are the Imperials an upgrade?

Are these guitars made anymore? And do you know the approximate date? or do you know a simple way through the serial of being able to tell?

Thanks again

Greg Timmins at Jason Lollar (I have been in e-mail contact with him) says the construction of the Lollar Firebirds is as close for tone as I will find to tone spectrum very early NYC minis.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/humbucker-pickups/firebird-pickup-neck-cleanest_JasonLollar.mp3

They sound like exactly what I am after that "Spanky Hooker" tone he had on that Epiphone Zephyr.

So I am going to put a set in the Sheraton I have here. I will see if I get the other Sheraton in two weeks. If I do will put a set of good PAF clones in there.....

That's the plan

"Serves me right to suffer" for not owning an original Sheraton, love those frequensators as well......

You guys with those original Sheratons with the minis are lucky indeed...

Wow' date=' thanks CB. That looks very much like mine (the E has been removed from the pickguard) and [b']I have standard grover heads and yours seems to have Imperials...Are the Imperials Standard and were mine changed? Or are the Imperials an upgrade?[/b]

Are these guitars made anymore? And do you know the approximate date? or do you know a simple way through the serial of being able to tell?

Thanks again

No, your's are correct. I change the buttons (only), on mine...just 'cause I like the "look!"

But, whenever I see the "normal" buttons, on one..I think it looks great, too! So..??? LOL!

CB

Greg Timmins at Jason Lollar (I have been in e-mail contact with him) says the construction of the Lollar Firebirds is as close for tone as I will find to tone spectrum very early NYC minis.

Interesting statement...the construction is nothing alike. Like single coil and humbucker different. Still working for one of the best in the biz he would probably know better than me. [crying]

Ricochet wrote: Interesting statement...the construction is nothing alike. Like single coil and humbucker

The early tone spectrums / nyc's were single coil sidewound......the point Greg is raising is that the Firebirds are "closer" to that single coil type of tone, than normal mini humbuckers on the market today, which have become mostly, more and more mini PAFish .... The Lollar Firebirds certainly sound like what I am after anyway......they are my choice.

Read this taken from the net.... (I have to thank Carverman for his guidance on my research on the early minis)

Apparently these "New York" pickups, though they look like mini-hums, are not, instead they are what some refer to as a "Sidewinder" style of single coil.

Here's what Jason Lollar said about them:

"Lets see if I can explain it clearly Its just a bar magnet app.2-1/4 X 3/4 X 1/4 or 5/16

magged through the 3/4" dimension. So one of the 5/16" face is north and the other 5/16" face is south

The coil is wound around the magnet (the 2-1/4 X 3/4 direction) and one of the 5/16" faces butt up against the screws (the 3/4" face is parallel with the strings as is the coil).

Its very simple and has no other parts, it is what some would call a "sidewinder" and may mistakenly attribute its design to bill L."

Archived