Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Truss Rod on Epiphone Les Paul???

kerryz

My guitar makes this buzzy sound when I play on the first fret, so I decided to adjust the action by adjusting the truss rod, but when I removed the cover, there was no nut to adjust!

I find this to be very strange and was just wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be. Attaching images to make it clearer. Model: LP 100/VS

-DSC01257.JPG

well even if there is a rod it's pretty useless if there's no nut to twist so i can adjust it...
If it's anything like mine, it takes a 4mm allen key, and it sits down in there a bit, as Musikron noted. It sounds as though yours may be a case of a low or high fret (or improper nut slot ???), as opposed to needing a tr adjustment, though, if it happens when fretting at the first.... just some random thoughts, here. I'd have to think that to adjust the tr enough to effect the guitar at the first fret, the middle of the neck will be way out of whack at that point (if you don't break something first...) .... but, I ain't no expert, so...

Welcome to the forum kerry! Some truss rods have the nut exposed, so a thin-walled socket wrench is used to tighten or loosen the nut. On my Sherri, the rod itself (I think) is exposed and requires an allen wrench (5mm IIRC) to tighten or loosen. Hope this helps.

Ok guys thanks for the advice, I checked it again and there is indeed a rod in there [biggrin]

And RSDx, ya I don't think the truss rod is the problem anymore since the neck is straight. When I push the head upwards, the buzzy sound dissapears so I'm thinking of replacing the nut with a higher one.

Ok guys thanks for the advice' date=' I checked it again and there is indeed a rod in there [biggrin

And RSDx, ya I don't think the truss rod is the problem anymore since the neck is straight. When I push the head upwards, the buzzy sound dissapears so I'm thinking of replacing the nut with a higher one.

No, Musikron is right about buggering up your guitar. The nut is dependent on every other aspect of the set up. You can't cut a nut properly until everything else is perfect.

It seems to me from reading this thread that your neck might be a touch too straight. In that case, strings will buzz on the low frets because you don't have enough string tension to give you enough relief. Loosening the rod a hair or going to heavier gauge strings should remedy the low fret buzz. (The extra tension of the heavier gauge strings will in effect pull the head upward like you did manually).

Let's say for sake of argument that I'm correct about not enough relief. If you cut the nut higher, it might solve the buzzing, but new problems might present themselves you've effectively altered the relationship between the strings and neck all the way down the fretboard, not just the first couple of frets. Maybe the action won't be as good down the neck as it was, or maybe the intonation will be a little off. So you start playing around with the bridge. So you lower it to get the action the way it used to be, but now you have buzzing around the 7th fret. So now you take it to your local tech who sees the problem, not enough relief. So he tweaks the truss rod, and guess what??? Now he tells you that you need a new nut because the old nut is cut too high!!! That's why it's important to have all the stars in alignment before cutting a new nut.

Since you're only getting buzzing when you play on the 1st fret, it's also possible that the 2nd fret is too high, that's why having a tech check it out would be a good idea. But if you've had some experience with truss rod adjustments and you feel comfortable trying that, you could try to loosen it, but very little. A sixteenth of a turn to the right as you look at the photo you posted, let it sit a couple of hours (keep it tuned to E), try it out. If it still buzzes, try one more time but that's it. Don't loosen it more than an eighth of a turn total. If that don't do it, take it to a tech.

Good luck and Welcome to the camp

Jerry is right. You have to look at several adjustments to determine which needs work. You can't know that the neck is flat just because there's no relief at the 8th fret. It might be slightly back bowed from .008 strings. You didn't say what gauge strings were on it. Bridge height could be a factor, also. And, as Jerry said, you could have a high fret. You can check the frets by using a credit card to find a rocker.

There's lot's of things that can cause your problem. Take it to a guitar store that has a technician on site and let him evaluate it. Google "guitar setup" and look at the procedures."

Archived