Gibson Brands Forums

epi jumbo questions

andrewjunior

i want this one...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-EJ200-Artist-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=581431

what's the cheapest, best sounding way to install a good pickup on this?

also, is there an inexpensive way to do the pickups and tone/vol controls like this...?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EJ160E-John-Lennon-AcousticElectric?sku=518653

I don't blame you the cut a way really hurts the tone and volume of a guitar.

i also just want a plain guitar. no extra decorations. i mean no disrespect for the first user to reply, but i wouldn't have asked the question in the first place if i liked that jumbo cutaway the first time i saw it. again, thanks for the advice, but i really like the 200.

You can do that pickup/knobs deal yourself if you have a dremil and a lot of balls. I suppose on a $200 guitar it's not that big a deal though. It's not too hard to do. I don't know if a pickup like that would require routing or if it's a surface-mount dealio. I'd be more inclined to use a piezo [angry]

i also just want a plain guitar. no extra decorations. i mean no disrespect for the first user to reply' date=' but i wouldn't have asked the question in the first place if i liked that jumbo cutaway the first time i saw it. again, thanks for the advice, but i really like the 200.[/quote']

So you want a EJ200 Artist set up with electronics like the EJ160E. That would be cool. I'd invest in some high-quality parts and have a luthier do it.

So you want a EJ200 Artist set up with electronics like the EJ160E. That would be cool. I'd invest in some high-quality parts and have a luthier do it.

yeah... i figured i'd get my tech to do it anyway... what pickup do you suggest? i may not even do the John Lennon style with the knobs on the face... it was just an idea.

If you want a hotter, more electric like you can get with the EJ160E go with a P90 or P100 pickup in the soundhole. Where you put the controls is up to you. I just thought it would look cool with them mounted on the top.

Some others here can give you good pickup recommendations for a more natural, acoustic sound.

If you want a hotter' date=' more electric like you can get with the EJ160E go with a P90 or P100 pickup in the soundhole. Where you put the controls is up to you. I just thought it would look cool with them mounted on the top.

Some others here can give you good pickup recommendations for a more natural, acoustic sound.[/quote']

thanks man, i'll look into that.

Well I've been doing some research...

Has anyone any experience with the DiMarzio pickup? http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP138-Virtual-Acoustic-Pickup-w-Volume-Control-100693092-i1395652.gc

^What that is is a soundhole pickup that seems to have a pretty straightforward and simple installation - no hole drilling. So it's not necessarily the most permanent solution.

As one of the posters above suggested, you can go all out and buy an LR Baggs, which seems to be at the higher end of such pickups.

Personally, I believe I will get that DiMarzio because that way I can easily use it on other guitars too if need be. But if this is a bad plan, speak now! >_>

Well I've been doing some research...

Has anyone any experience with the DiMarzio pickup? http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP138-Virtual-Acoustic-Pickup-w-Volume-Control-100693092-i1395652.gc

^What that is is a soundhole pickup that seems to have a pretty straightforward and simple installation - no hole drilling. So it's not necessarily the most permanent solution.

As one of the posters above suggested' date=' you can go all out and buy an LR Baggs, which seems to be at the higher end of such pickups.

Personally, I believe I will get that DiMarzio because that way I can easily use it on other guitars too if need be. But if this is a bad plan, speak now! >_>[/quote']

it's not a bad plan. i have thought about it... but i think if i did get that one i'd make it permanent... that's just me tho. i say do it if you've got more guitars to use it on. i've got another acoustic, but it's not one i'd put a pickup in.

Archived