Gibson Brands Forums

Staining the binding on my epi sg standard

epidon

My Epi Elitist SG Standard has a white binding around the neck. I want it to have a vintage creme

binding like the gibson model. Without replacing the binding (and a fret job) would I be able to sucessfully

stain the binding? What would I use? Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes, time.

The binding is under the finish, you will have to remove the finish in order to get to the binding. But if you play the thing and wait a few years, it should start yellowing. The new creme style binding is meant to replicate age. (And does a poor job of it as well)

So all the Gibson SGs have all been aged right from the factory to attain that 'creme 'binding or does the factory have a certified 'Gibson window' where they place their guitars in the sun for a couple of days to get that aged binding look. I do not have the time to wait to naturally 'relic' my epi. I guess the Gibson owners don't either.

I also thought the Epiphone Elitist 1961 SG Standard was suppose to emulate the 1961 Gibson SG so why not the creme binding?

You can use a very small amount of tinted wipe on poly. Just tape up the neck so only the binding is showing and gently apply a small amount. Take the tape off and leave to cure for a few days then carefully sand flat with 800 grit follwed by 1200 grit then T cut followed by a final polish.

Archived