Gibson Brands Forums

Good tuners for G-400?? help please

mister6strings42

I have an epi g-400 and the stock tuners are getting too slippy for me. I need to know the shaft/hole sizes of the guitar and what locking tuners people would reccommend/suggest? there are some nice Kluson ones i saw and the shaft size was 25/64". what does this mean? can it be converted into a "mm" size that can be related to the hole size of the guitar?

I would like some locking tuners that have keystone heads but i will compromise locking ones for some very nice normal ones. Suggestions please?? I need help from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I put new tuners on both of my G-400s. They both had 10mm holes. Not sure what you mean by "slippy." If the buttons feel loose, there are screws to tighten them up. If the only problem is that the buttons are loose, you can get a set of keystone buttons that fit Grovers from Allparts. I got 4 sets for some of my other guitars. They don't have them on their site, you have to call to order them. "Slippy" could possibly be in the way you are wrapping your stings. If they aren't wound and secured good they will slip.

I put Grover Vintage Green Keystones on mine. The original Grovers were fine, but I prefer the looks of the Green keys. I really don't like the looks of the Kidney shaped buttons.

I second what jcwillow says. If they're slipping, the buttons may be loose, or your string winding method may be to blame. I personally have never had any issues with the stock Grovers. THey're some of the best tuners you can get in my opinion.

However, if you want some Kluson style tuners, try some Wilkinsons. I put a set on my Les Paul and couldn't be happier. Plus they're insanely cheap. Every bit as good as much more expensive ones, but for a fraction of the cost. Plus they're a direct replacement for the stock Grovers, the screw holes in the back line up perfectly. You will of course have to drill 6 more holes, as the Klusons mount with two screws, rather than one like the Grovers.

The stock Grovers however use a 10mm diameter hole with a screw in bushing, whereas the Kluson type ones have a press in bushing for a 9mm hole. You can purchase some conversion bushings for a couple of bucks though, which press into the 10mm hole to allow you to use the vintage style tuners.

Here's a link to the EBay seller who I purchased my Wilkinsons from. Unfortunately only seems to have gold ones in stock at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkinson-Deluxe-Tuners-Bell-Style-GOLD_W0QQitemZ370336061903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5639bfd9cf

And here's a link to GuitarFetish, a good place to buy some conversion bushings.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nivitucobu.html

• 10 years later...

Similar question, my epiphone G400 has the cheap epiphone deluxe green keys That use two hole mounting on the back.  The grovers seem to use one screw to attach.  Can I still use the grovers that use one screw?

Did anyone with an epiphone have to ream out the peg holes to 10mm.  I’m hearing mixed feedback.  Some newer Epiphones 2019 and 2020 are saying they didn’t need to enlarge the peg holes for those or the pots but older epiphone comments seem to say you do.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:18 AM, Matt8999 said:

Similar question, my epiphone G400 has the cheap epiphone deluxe green keys That use two hole mounting on the back.  The grovers seem to use one screw to attach.  Can I still use the grovers that use one screw?

Did anyone with an epiphone have to ream out the peg holes to 10mm.  I’m hearing mixed feedback.  Some newer Epiphones 2019 and 2020 are saying they didn’t need to enlarge the peg holes for those or the pots but older epiphone comments seem to say you do.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer.............

G400's come with 2 different styles of tuners the heavier cast metal chassis old style Grovers with a 14/1 ratio that use a single screw, these use a threaded bushing which require a larger post hole.

The lighter (Kluson style like Gibson) stamped metal chassis and cover, the Green Key (Tulip) Epiphone Deluxe which are decent but have a low 18/1 ratio, these use a press in bushing with a smaller post hole.

Most tuners are available in ratios between "18/1 to 14/1" depending on brand, 18/1 finer but more turns, 14/1 stiffer with fewer turns.

The Kluson style, stamped metal chassis, will look like the the Epi Deluxe, use the same mounting holes, a press in bushing and available with green keys (Tulip) or buttons in chrome or nickel or white. A few brands that make these are Kluson, Gibson, Wilkinson, Epiphone, Gotoh and many unbranded types.    Including a Grover version that looks like the Kluson style but has a cast chassis and cover using the same mounting holes "but has a Threaded Bushing" requiring a "larger post hole".

The old Grover style uses different single mounting hole positions some in line with the post hole and some offset. These use a "Threaded Bushing" requiring a "larger post hole" and tend to be heavier than the Kluson style, contributing to SG neck dive. The available brands are mostly Grover and Gotoh including many unbranded types.

The new Epiphone SG's mostly seem to be using the 18/1 Kuson style Epiphone Deluxe with tulips or buttons. The new SG Modern uses Nickel 18/1 Grover Locking Rotomatics with Nickel Tulips.

My personal replacement favorite is the Kluson style 14/1 Cast Grovers with Threaded Bushings, (even though the post hole needs to be enlarged), with Green Tulips that help turning a higher ratio.

If you want to use the "old Grover style" you will need to plug the old Kluson style mounting holes and make the post hole larger.

If you want o use the "Kluson Style" they are a direct replacement for the Epiphone Deluxe.

When you look for your new tuners you want to pay close attention to the "Ratio" the "Mounting Hole Pattern" and the use of "Threaded Bushings" or "Press in Bushings".

Edited by mihcmac