Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar modification

android13

Hello. It's obvious that I'm new here, but I'll just state that to make it clear.

Sorry if I make any stupid forum mistakes.

I've played guitar for almost a year, and have considered modifying the Epiphone LP Standard Plus-top that I have, but of course, I haven't yet.

Just for future reference, when I may actually want to modify it later, (I don't even have enough money on me now to do all these anyway), I wanted to ask a few things.

For one, I was thinking of changing out the factory installed Alnico Classic humbuckers for the Dimarzio X2N http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DIM-X2N-BK?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed& on the bridge and PAF Pro http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup?sku=302040&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26021623 in the neck. I'm assuming this soldering pencil would do the trick: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062737&CAWELAID=107592765 .

I know most of you would tell me to send it to a guitar store to do it professionally for me, but I have looked at a few diagrams, and want to do it myself, if possible. I want the experience (it's not like I'm doing this to a gibson, anyway). Well, if I find that it's way too complicated, I'll just send it in.

Also, after buying the guitar, I have contemplated getting a tremelo bar on it, and after some searching found the Stetsbar. http://stetsbar.com/index.html I would like this community's opinion on it. Apparently it's rather easy to install, requiring no drilling, and keeps the instrument in tune.

Thank you, and I shall lurk for a response.

Welcome to the forum, android.

That Stetsbar looks pretty damn hot ... but it's $220 to $300 bucks depending on the color you want. Not cheap by a long shot. By the time you get through with all of these mods, you'll have doubled the cost of your guitar. Not that that's a bad thing or unheard of ... but it's a lot of bucks for sure.

Jim

Not really, it's about a $100 short of my guitar price.

But no, definitely not cheap compared to my guitar itself, which is about $550.

Then again, if it's worth it, I could. Also, since apparently you don't have to drill holes and stuff, it's not as risky as a Bigsby or (even worse) a Floyd Rose (dunno if you can even install those things on an already made Les Paul).

I mean, it really depends: the $250 price tag might be alright if it gives me the sound I want.

Also, what do the people here think about the pickups?

After a bit of searching and listening to the demos on the DiMarzio site, these two were the conclusion I came to.

Thumbs up on the pickups, I'm something of a DiMarzio fan. Changing pickups yourself is actually pretty simple, and most pickups will come with wiring diagrams, and you can always find one for any particular setup on the net.

The stetsbar is pretty good from what I've seen, but it's a hell of a lot to spend on just a tremolo. You say that the guitar is 'not a Gibson' when it comes to changing pickups yourself, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to install a Bigsby, plus it's a lot cheaper.

I've thought about getting a Bigsby, but don't you have to drill holes in the body?

Although I'm rather confident that I'll be able to change the pickups myself, I personally don't want to drill a hole into the guitar myself (I mean, there's Vibramate http://www.vibramate.com/index.html , but that adds another $50-60 or so, I think), and that apparently the Bigsby is only good at lowering tone (who knows, I might want to use it the other way around, and I'd face a little problem).

Also, as for the Stetsbar, I think it would be a good investment in the long run, since I'm not thinking of getting any form of strat any time soon (I apparently like the feel of SGs and Les Pauls more or something), and I could move it to a newer, better guitar (like a Gibson SG or LP, if I ever get one in the far future) without too much hassle, and without my (then) older Epiphone having holes in it.

If I ever get it, I would get the Chrome one, which is more like $230 (definitely not the gold one, way too expensive for simple coloring).

Guest icantbuyafender

I like the bigsby vibrato with the vibramate installation plate.

For 150 you can get the plate and vibrato.

search fleabay.

that stetsbar looks toooo damn complicated. lol

what amp do you use?

pickups are subjective and arent nearly as big a factor as your amp of choice.

The stockers may be good enough. but I prefer gibson 490R/490T..... ](*,)

Hmm… I see.

Originally, when I bought the guitar, I went with a cheap Roland 15x Cube, but I guess for the sound I would want, I should get something WAY better…

I was looking for a pair of pickups where the lead one would be something that could use all the distortion that I would want and let it scream, and a more versatile pickup on the neck. ](*,)

Also, I am in a band (not that good yet, though), and we practice at my friend's house… he might have had a tube amp. It's not like if we ever perform that we'd use my personal amp, either. The one I have is mostly used just for practice.

I was looking for a pair of pickups where the lead one would be something that could use all the distortion that I would want and let it scream' date=' and a more versatile pickup on the neck. default_eusa_wall.gif

Check out the Seymour Duncan JB and '59 combination. I have them on my Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (OK a completely different guitar) and I love 'em. The JB takes all the distortion you can throw at it and the '59 offers great PAF tones.

Here's what they sound like on the Charvel San Dimas:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

You might also like the Dimarzio Tone Zone/Evolution combination on the Charvel So-Cal (also on the above vid)

Alan

Greeting to All,

I`m a brand new Epiphone customer, Sherry ii VS. It`s a 2009 model year, I had played one in our local music store several months before I bought the one I own. It was a natural finish; I wasn`t even there trying the guitar out but an amplifier and it was the closest guitar that was in tune. After leaving I kept thinking how I really enjoyed the feel of the guitar and the Tones were not to bad.

I was saving for an ES335 or something with humbuckers as my tone collection was missing this. I thought a good long while and considered many new and used models. A friend of mine suggested putting some humbuckers in my Strat, which I investigated, however it was not what I had my hart set on (I did end up changing strat pups for SD Duckbuckers, Very Cool). Anyway, sorry for getting off track, I really wanted a good sounding well built guitar and I decided that I wasn`t going to spend even $2,500. I set a budget at $1,500.00 which is what a MIA Standard Strat with better pickups would cost.

Well when I saw the Sherry I bought, I couldn`t see or think of any other guitars accept this one. As you all know the guitar is very nicely made and provides probably the best foundation to add my personal touch to the guitar. My thoughts on the matter of modifying an inexpensive instrument is this. I IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT!!!!!!!!!

It felt good to me and I did it right away. I booked my apt with a good tech and changed my mind twice cancelled one apt to think about it longer and then a grew a set of balls and jumped. Gibson 57 Classics and Plus, Tone pro bridge and stopbar, mojo harness. I wanted the nut done cause I thought it was plastic however the tech told me it`s a TUSQ nut from stock (nice!).

I`m sure that there is not much chance of finding a guitar this GREAT for what I paid.

Sorry for my late reply, I was off in California this week for a concert (I also play the cello).

I have viewed the video, and find the Dimarzio Tone Zone/Evolution pickup combination to be very good, as suggested.

However, my guitar and amp are quite different, could somebody tell me a bit more about how using these pickups on a Les Paul would turn out?

Welcome android!

AlanH (above post) made a real good suggestion for the Seymour Duncan brand of pickups. Since you're already looking at the DiMarzio brand I would suggest what you've selected, the PAF Pro, but I would stick this in the bridge position and then I would suggest the PAF for the neck position.

The lower output of the PAF will give you great versatility in the neck position. Lower output pickups in the neck position is a good idea simply because the movement of the strings is greater in distance at the neck position. This greater vibration produces more output and is therefore louder so a lower output pickup will help keep the sound of your guitar in balance. This same principle applies to the bridge position where you have less distance traveled by the vibrating strings so a higher output pickup is needed to keep balance. Of course, high output pickups in both positions will give you a thunderous roar but they tend to override nuance by driving your amp hard.

Since you'll be changing pickups you would do well to also change out the control pots for the volume and tone. Go with the larger pots made by CTS and available here: http://www.allparts.com/CTS-500K-Split-Shaft-Audio-Pot-p/ep-0086-000.htm or at some other place you like to deal with. While you're at it might as well change out the tone capacitor too. Make sure it's one at a value of .022mf. You can get those at the above link too. Of course, you're at liberty to experiment with whatever tickles your fancy. Gibson has been known to use 250k pots and 300k pots. Other capacitor values will give you different tonal control options by rolling off higher or lower frequencies.

Not certain about a trem on a Les Paul as I personally don't like the look. I'm not much of a trem user anyway.

I know most of you would tell me to send it to a guitar store to do it professionally for me' date=' but I have looked at a few diagrams, and want to do it myself, if possible..[/quote']

If you don't got two left hands it's easy to do it by yourself.I did my first pickup change by myself and did it fine...

But be aware!!!!

When you started once modding your guitars you'll never stop doing it...i know what i'm talking about...it's already a hobby besides playing them...

AlanH (above post) made a real good suggestion for the Seymour Duncan brand of pickups. Since you're already looking at the DiMarzio brand I would suggest what you've selected' date=' the PAF Pro, but I would stick this in the bridge position and then I would suggest the PAF for the neck position.

[/quote']

What about an Evolution in the bridge and a PAF in the neck?

Also, isn't PAF Pro a 'medium power' pickup? I recall that it wasn't listed as a high power when I went to the DiMarzio site.

Welcome android!

While you're at it might as well change out the tone capacitor too. Make sure it's one at a value of .022mf. quote]

You can try around with tone caps.They don't have to be exactly .022mf. I'm not sure anymore if they're more than that they sound brighter or darker...can't remember because i already found the BEST replicas of the legendary Bumblebees which were in the real '59 bursts back then.

Best tone caps:-({|= :) for less than hundreds of bucks...

Check this out:

http://www.crazyparts.de/00000098e9083ff04/0427089c70107503a/000000991910d0418.php

I have viewed the video' date=' and find the Dimarzio Tone Zone/Evolution pickup combination to be very good, as suggested.

However, my guitar and amp are quite different, could somebody tell me a bit more about how using these pickups on a Les Paul would turn out?

[/quote']

Done a quick search on youtube to find vids of these pickups in Les Pauls. One of them looks a bit like a scene from a horror movie but, never mind.

Seems to be using the bridge tone zone only on this one (PAF pro not in action):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdyubAdw7Kc[/YOUTUBE]

The scary looking one (looks like this serial killer is using the Tone Zone Bridge only):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dUGK14tfY[/YOUTUBE]

This one appears to be a neck pup only demo of a PAF pro:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

This one has PAF pros in neck and bridge and is more of a proper demo:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

After searching for vids of the Evolutions in LPs, I found this comment which, if correct, I think makes the PAF pro a more favourable option:

"Evos is design to work with Alder-Ash-Poplar-Basswood wood Tones to make Les Paul type sounds , but with with maple and mahogany les pauls wood , this pickup work? wrong , very ultra loud."

Lastly, here are some JB + '59 Lesp Paul vids:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hope some of these are of use. (Note: I haven't listened to them all properly as I'm surfing quietly at the moment so please don't shoot the messenger.)

Alan

AlanH, thank you very much for all these videos!

I personally do find the PAF Pro demo very good, and also the Tone Zone demo'd by the pseudo-Buckethead horror guy was pretty good too.

I do like the tones of the PAF Pro, but the Tone Zone sounded kind of… dry.

Is there anything that someone would recommend for the bridge pickup in this case?:-

As far as replacing pick-ups I say go for it. The epiphone guitars are not vintage guitars nor will they become vintage guitars. They're value (aka budget) guitars & are ripe for mods.

You will need a soldering "iron" for electronics work. Check out some of the websites dedicated to soldering & electronics. You want a pencil point tip with good temp control. The smaller the point the better. A good iron is well over $100. For a budget you can find some irons under $100 that don't have temp control. They should work fine.

You'll also need to learn to solder to the case of the Pots for ground connections. For soldering to the Pot case you'll need flux. This will make the solder connection to the case faster & easier preventing overheating the case & damaging the Pot. You'll have to learn about tinning the leads prior to making connections. Lots of things to learn. You should invest in solder braid & a solder "sucker" for removing solder. You'll need them.

You'll also have to learn about grounding, ground loops, shielding, etc. There are a lot of good sites for basic guitar wiring & mods. Search & you'll find some good ones.

Good Luck

AlanH' date=' thank you very much for all these videos!

I personally do find the PAF Pro demo very good, and also the Tone Zone demo'd by the pseudo-Buckethead horror guy was pretty good too.

I do like the tones of the PAF Pro, but the Tone Zone sounded kind of… dry.

Is there anything that someone would recommend for the bridge pickup in this case?:-k [/quote']

You're very welcome, Android.

It sounds like you really like a PAF neck pickup so the PAF pro or a Seymour Duncan '59 will fit the bill. How about the good old Seymour Duncan JB in the neck? Its a hot pickup as you require but it can be tamed. Here's my video of my Epi LP demonstrating a swap to the SD hot-rodded set (although you may not like the Jazz pickup in the bridge if you want more vintage tones):

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Apologies for my playing!

Another thought: How about the Gibson 490R/490T combo. Here's what their website says about them on an SG faded (which I also happen to own):

"Gibson’s 490R and 49OT uncovered pickups (“R” for rhythm and “T” for treble) give you the flavor of Gibson’s original ’57 Classic pickup, but roll the output and midrange grind upward a few notches to create a pickup more suited to modern music."

There are some SG sound clips on this link, although here are loads of SG faded vids on youtube:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Faded.aspx

Here is a search for some youtube clips of LPs with 490T/490R pups:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=les+paul+490T&search_type=&aq=f

I think they sound pretty good.

Thank you much again for your suggestion.

Although I am alright with the PAF Pro pickup in the neck, I do find the 490T very attractive.

However, how is the 500T different from the 490T? Looking at some reviews, the 500T looks a bit more attractive…

And I have also looked at the Super Distortion DiMarzio, and am contemplating that one.

What do you guys think?

Archived