Gibson Brands Forums

project epi LPJR

custombuiltguitars

I picked up one of those $89 LP JR's over the presidents day sale at guitar center. Never even played it at the store. I knew it was a project. Played it for 5 minutes at home, then tore it apart.

1st the inspiration for this project. A customer of mine (purchased one of my self built guitars from me) emailed saying he had a LP special, bolt, that needed a body. The plywood delaminated at the neck pocket. He wanted cheap, so we agreed on a price for a finished poplar body, and a price for me to put it together. A pic of his finished guitar

DSCF0386-1.jpg?t=1266947231

So back to my project. I had a 2 piece blank I glued up a while ago for something.... was waiting for the right project. This is it. In the mean time I leveled, radiused and polished the frets.

The body routed, sanded, and grain filled.

IMGP0366-1.jpg?t=1266947526

one shot of the back

IMGP0368-1.jpg?t=1266947561

stained

IMGP0370-1.jpg?t=1266947614

IMGP0372-1.jpg?t=1266947659

and sealed

IMGP0375-1.jpg?t=1266947689

it will get 4 coats of nitro laquer. The grain won't be 100% filled. I'm good with that. I prefer less finish. I'll hand rub it, put in the new P90 (GFS) and put it together and set it up.

just waiting on UPS with the P90 now. All assembled and set up. Strung up with GHS 11 to 50's.STD tuning. Nice action. Intonation....can't complain in the least...

IMGP0381-1.jpg?t=1267037848

IMGP0382-1.jpg?t=1267037989

IMGP0385-1.jpg?t=1267038045

the brightness in the pics make the P/U cavity look off center, but it isn't. Must be the glare.

Sounds AWSUM unplugged. Lots of life. Not the dead horse the plywood body was. Plus a JR ain't a JR without a P90 (in my eyes anyway).

I did what I could with the nut. That and the tuners will be the 1st things to go. Also some better looking knobs. The original speed knobs....well are just WRONG for a JR. So I put a couple of Strat Knobs I had lying around on it for now. Thinkin chicken head knobs....

very nice' date=' are u going to do a pic guard?[/quote']

Thanks. I don't plan on it. I made the neck pocket deeper, so the original one won't work anyway(won't slide under the 22nd fret.) . Besides, that one is black white, black. The white stripe just looks wrong. So we will see. I have some thinner black pickguard material, so I may make one and lay it on there and see how it looks.

Whoa Custom! I freakin' LOVE that thing! The Purple Nurple too! 'Splain a little more about the body - you cut it yourself? What template did you use? How'd you get the upper contour so perfect? Also, what do you mean by "force dry"? Waiting for lacquer to dry is the biggest PIA with nitro - I must know this secret!

Post some shots of your shop and let us know what tools are necessary to make these things - bandsaw, router table, planer/jointer, etc.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!

Whoa Custom! I freakin' LOVE that thing! The Purple Nurple too! 'Splain a little more about the body - you cut it yourself? What template did you use? How'd you get the upper contour so perfect? Also' date=' what do you mean by "force dry"? Waiting for lacquer to dry is the biggest PIA with nitro - I must know this secret!

Post some shots of your shop and let us know what tools are necessary to make these things - bandsaw, router table, planer/jointer, etc.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME![/quote']

Thanks! I enjoy building immensly. More so than spelling.

force dry is just forced hot air and heat lamps. Trust me, you don't want to see my shop. Like a lot of builders, it is a mess all the time.

Yes, I cut it myself. How did I get it so perfect? I make a lot of guitar bodys. Just practice.Been building my own guitars for 15 years and for myself and others for 12. I made my LP template , and all my guitar templates myself. The Lp template is just a tracing of an old Memphis I had. Virtually identicle to the Epiphone actually. Tools used, bandsaw, handheld router, random orbit sander, angle grinder. And a pile of homemade templates.3 stacks of templates each about a foot tall. Oh, and my unisaw to rip the blanks. A couple of wood bar clamps. Basic everyday hobby woodworker stuff that I earn my living with. Nothing fancy. That stuff, and this comes natural to me.

I'll hve to get a few more pics as I forgot to highlight something. The neck pocket is a roughly 4 degree angle, and so is the back of the body where the neck plate is. Making upper fret access a breeze. Probably better than on a set neck s/c LP JR.

Thanks again for all the compliments. I LOVE this guitar.

Just out of curiosity' date=' if you decided to sell that guitar or make another like it and sell, how much would that run?[/quote']

He'll be back tomorrow. And yes, he'll make you one - already talked with him about an unfinished body for a future Junior in my life! Freakin' love that job he did!

Sheila

Finally got to hear her thru my Vox Ad30VT that pushes 2 -12 inch speakers. OMG! The tone I have been searching for....in this simple guitar. On the 80's Marshal setting....... WOW. Sweet cleans on the blackface. Next I'll either have to do a special, or add a neck P90 to this. I love this guitar!

Finally got to hear her thru my Vox Ad30VT that pushes 2 -12 inch speakers. OMG! The tone I have been searching for....in this simple guitar. On the 80's Marshal setting....... WOW. Sweet cleans on the blackface. Next I'll either have to do a special' date=' or add a neck P90 to this. I love this guitar![/quote']

I say add a Charlie Christian to the neck[biggrin]

Archived