Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Classic question

C_S

I'm very close to buying an Epi LP Classic but concerned with what the "value" is

Serial number is I0504xxxx so I know its made in Apr 2005 - any idea on what this thing cost new and what is a decent value for it today?

Thank you for any information you can help with.

341798410_o.jpg

341798773_o.jpg

Very nice looker! Is that a picture of the actual guitar?

Prices seemed to have been all over the board when new ($469 - $599 is the basic range that I've seen posted aroung the 'net, dependent on where bought, and if on a coupon sale). Used I've seen them $350 to $400, but can't comment on condition.

I believe that there are some here who own this guitar and they very well may have better info for you. Hope you get her, she is a beaut!

Sheila

It's kind of dead at the moment, but some breeze through, and others will post in the morning. Don't worry if you don't get any responses in the next couple of hours. You may also want to look on ebay and craigslist to see if there are others selling the Classic and at what prices.

Best wishes,

Sheila

I usually indicates it was made at the Saein plant (Korean.) I think they retailed for around $499, don't *think* they make them anymore.

I will say though, that it is a gorgeous guitar! One point of note is that the Les Paul classics shipped (I believe) with open coil pickups, 'green-key' tuners (sometimes,) and I think Speed knobs (may have been bell knobs.) So I'd guess the guitar has had quite a bit of customisation done.

the seller mentioned Epiphone Sheraton II humbuckers

I'm pretty sure those are the same pups that Epi puts in their LPs. If you are looking at buying it as an investment, forget it. Epis aren't gonna go up in value. If you are looking to buy it to play, that is a very nice looking guitar and I can say that I wouldn't mind having it. I would say new they went for around $500.

Well, my Classic (a 2004 model) was 499 bucks "out the door" from Musician's Friend in 2005. I've seen them go from anything between 200 bucks, and up to 700 for a modified one. Mine's not for sale at any price. Nice red by the way.

I sold my Quilted Cherry LP several months ago for $250.00! It was pristine. I had it on Craigslist for a couple months. Started the price at $400 and gradiually moved down. Why did I sell it? The universal reason - I needed a couple hundred fast. The retail "street price" on it was, as I recall, $540 at a local GC. I beat on the sales manager for an hour and got it for $490 - not a bad deal. Also got a cable thrown in. I kept it for about a year or so and decided to sell it from among a few other branded guitars I had.

The "value" of a used instrument is precisely what someone will pay for it, not a penny more. Some sell for a lot, some sell for not so much. It all depends on the market and, I guess, the supply of a particular model.

Well' date=' my Classic (a 2004 model) was 499 bucks "out the door" from Musician's Friend in 2005. I've seen them go from anything between 200 bucks, and up to 700 for a modified one. Mine's not for sale at any price. Nice red by the way.[/quote']

[biggrin] Stupid Girl!!

I forgot Blue was a Classic! (Sigh) Love your Blue Girl!

Sheila

-Whichever one feels best to you. You gotta remember that all of these Epis are the same guitar. Just different finish and hardware options.

L8R' date='

Matt[/quote']

Nuh Uh, they differ structurally as well. Also hardware. All Epiphones are not created equal.

I've heard it said some of the Classics have a plain maple top with the quilt veneer, is that true? I'm wondering if mines that way, it weighs a ton (exaggeration, 10 pounds on the nose). Or are all of them Alder?

I've heard it said some of the Classics have a plain maple top with the quilt veneer' date=' is that true? I'm wondering if mines that way, it weighs a ton (exaggeration, 10 pounds on the nose). Or are all of them Alder?[/quote']

from what I read, I thought all of the Quilt Classics were mahogany body/neck, rosewood fretboard and the maple top which I always interpreted as a veneer layer of sorts. Is the expectation that the maple is thicker than a traditional veneer?

I apologize for beating a dead horse here ...

I've been looking at a lot of guitars (Epi's mostly) and it seems that most of the time when the top shows the wood grain through the finish (ala quilt top) there seems to be a distinct line where two pieces come together down the middle of the body in line with the neck.

Is there a reason there are so many like this and only a few that seem to be a solid top?

I apologize for beating a dead horse here ...

I've been looking at a lot of guitars (Epi's mostly) and it seems that most of the time when the top shows the wood grain through the finish (ala quilt top) there seems to be a distinct line where two pieces come together down the middle of the body in line with the neck.

Is there a reason there are so many like this and only a few that seem to be a solid top?

Yes, cost. It's easier (thus cheaper) to get a 7" wide board to cut veneers from than it is to get a 14" wide board.

Sheila

Archived