Gibson Brands Forums

Is this SG worth it?

AshsDad

Thanks to the three of you,i personally thought that it was to cheap to be genuine/or damaged.Anyway,ebay item has finished and i am looking for others at the moment:-k .What is the going price for a 2nd hand g400?

Thanks to the three of you' date='i personally thought that it was to cheap to be genuine/or damaged.Anyway,ebay item has finished and i am looking for others at the moment:-k .What is the going price for a 2nd hand g400?[/quote']

I bought mine for £150 2nd hand (with all the plastic still on the scratch plate and back plate) but was played a few times, then put back in the box and is now in mine hands.

I bid on one,in the meantime the neck pickup on epi lp custom has broken,so looks like i will replace BOTH pickups on sons guitar :-# .Can't afford 2nd guitar now[crying] Ended up not winning sg,it went for £155.

I used to have trouble getting and keeping my G400 in tune; I asked a luther about it while it was in for a set-up and he pointed a couple of things out to me; the neck is extremly thin and flexi so when your taking a reading with a tuner keep your left hand off the neck and pegs as just the weight of your arm can move the pitch around; adjust, measure, adjust, measure. Sounds daft but it makes areal difference.

Also, always tune up to a note, never down as the mechanical hysteresis (Play) in the tuners will let your strings slip.

I loved the G400 as a teen! I would avoide bolt on neck SGs though; they are horrible (IMO)

I bid on one' date='in the meantime the neck pickup on epi lp custom has broken,so looks like i will replace BOTH pickups on sons guitar [biggrin] .Can't afford 2nd guitar now[crying'] Ended up not winning sg,it went for £155.

A pup has broken? I dont think I've ever heard of that happening! what's the symptoms?

SG400's come up so frequently on the bay so hold out for a clean one. I picked up a nearly mint faded G400 in cherry with the neck binding along with a small Marshall combo and a gigbag etc for £160 buy it now. So there are bargains to be had!!

The Marshall is now my sons and the faded G400 is the nicest Epiphone SG i have owned and played. The older fadeds had neck binding and are far more like a Gibson than the SG400's without it. The faded finish gives off a real vintage mojo and is more pleasing on the eye than the over glossy poly finish on the standard G400's.

If you are looking for a really nice SG copy, and want to save a few quid, then you might want to take a look at the Vintage VS6

vs6_05.jpgvs6b_05.jpgVS6VW.jpgvs6cg_05.jpg

You can pick these up new for around £180 or so, so I suppose a used one would be pretty cheap.

I used to think of Vintage as being a cheapo brand (a bit like Encore), but the new stuff they are making these days (since Trev Wilkinson got involved with the company and contributed the hardware) is really good indeed.

More info - http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Thanks to the three of you' date='i personally thought that it was to cheap to be genuine/or damaged.Anyway,ebay item has finished and i am looking for others at the moment:-k .What is the going price for a 2nd hand g400?[/quote']

My G400 cost me £120, and thats the going rate for a used one.

I just bought a new G-400 for myself. I've been trying to find a suitable double-cut dual-HB guitar for almost 2 years. I compared LOTS of guitars from LOTS of manufactures & custom makers. I considered guitars up to & including $2500. After considering LOTS of things I chose the G-400 for it's playability, sound, quality, & features. It is the best VALUE in the market today. I don't think there's a better choice on the market.

I specifically wanted a slim profile satin neck. Tough to find in double-cut dual-HB guitars. The closest I got was the Prophecy SG & the Epi Faded G-400. The appearance of the Faded just didn't work for me. It plays & sounds just like the gloss version, but looks goofy. The Prophecy is MUCH lower quality than the G-400 and twice the price. Plays great & sounds the same. So in the end I chose the gloss Limited Edition/Custom Shop G-400.

If you search for a G-400 I highly recommend a Limited Edition/Custom Shop G-400. The back of the headstock contains the LE/CS logo. Look for it. I think the LE/CS guitars are much higher quality than the standard G-400. At least that's what I found.

Good Luck.

A pup has broken? I dont think I've ever heard of that happening! what's the symptoms?

When i say broken i mean the neck pickup aint producing no distortion.We have checked volume and tone pots for wiring problems and the switch and nothing obvious.Lightly tapping the pickup itself produces no tapping on amp.Taking LP to repair shop to have a checkover.

Archived