Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Jeff Waters Sig. Flying V

Rewddawg1

Interesting........

...........phenolic fingerboard, Kill Switch and Gibson JWR and JWT pickups. Obviously the pickups are named after the endorser but I wonder what they were before being re-badged.

My only issue is that I don't really like the idea of buying signature guitars.

I am GASing for a V-shaped guitar but I'd much rather have your Gibson V, Rewd.

Thanks Alan. I would really like to try one out. The kill switch is a nice feature but the lack of a tone switch is a negative.

BTW I don't know what style V you like but 3 mos. ago Nashville still had some V's like mine in stock selling for $1150 or less w/ H.S. case. They also had some in antique white with the regular pick guard.

i like it. id like to try out the pups first though to make sure its not just epi pups with Jeff waters name on them. sounded real good on the vid epi put up though. i might would trade in my prophecy for this one since it has 24 frets. kill switch would be kinda fun too. i just dont like the 1 volume control.

i like it. i just dont like the 1 volume control.

I agree and a tone control would be better. Which Prophecy do you have? I don't think I would trade my GX for it. I love it too much maybe my EX cause I have had EMG's in the past which are good for what they were made for but a change could be justified.

I gotta say I think this is a killer axe! I've never even heard of this dude, but thats ok. He's kind of a good player, to say the least after seeing that vid!

See, this is a metal guitar. PLain and simple. Trust me, I'm a knob diddler with my Elitist LP, absolutely. Very versatile guitar for cleans, blues, and up to some metal styles. But when I'm crushing out some metal, my volume knob is up all the way, and so isn't my tone knob. For metal, balls out is all thats really needed. Guitars controls dimed in most cases, and just set the amp to taste. In my case with a Tiny Terror, all I have to deal with is 3 knobs. Very simple.

So, there's a reason that there are a bunch of metal axes out there with only a volume knob and no tone, you can go from gain-ish to full-on with just the volume control. Agreed that its beneficial overall to have your main axe have tone knobbies, but for the purpose of heavy metal riffing? This axe should slay!!!! I can't wait to try one!

The Jeff Waters Flying V's are coming to the UK. No idea on the date though, there is no suggestion of when to expect them. They are only being produced as a limited edition though. £499.99 at the minute RRP of over £700

r_00068392.jpg

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone_limited_edition_jeff_waters_annihilator_flying_v_annihilation_red.html

r_00068393.jpg

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone_limited_edition_jeff_waters_annihilator_flying_v_pitch_black.html

Hey Alan I think that B C Rich V looks killer. If you know which EMG's are in it you will know the tone you are going to get. I personally like EMG's. I cannot make the claim they are the best cause there are alot of pups I've never played. I also think EMG's are more versatile than some people give them credit for being plus they sound really good under heavy distortion and because the mags are not real strong you can set them real close to the strings. I use a nickel to gauge the distance.

Rewd.

I agree and a tone control would be better. Which Prophecy do you have? I don't think I would trade my GX for it. I love it too much maybe my EX cause I have had EMG's in the past which are good for what they were made for but a change could be justified.

i have the SG EX w/ emg's. its a great guitar, dont get me wrong, but it sounds about like my other sg with dimarzio's in it, not quite as good actually, and isnt nearly as versatile. pretty much the only thing keeping me from selling it is i like having 24 frets for when i need them (not just saying that, i have needed them). the jeff waters has the 24 frets plus what sound like pretty good pups, plus the kill swtch and coil taps, so thats a couple of extra features i dont have. plus im itching for a pointy guitar

Plastic Fingerboard......

The fingerboard is phenolic material. It is the same material used in Steinberger instruments. As described by one maker..."a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic."

It's very durable, stiff and smooth. More importantly and as demonstrated by Jeff Waters in the video, it gives it unique tonal properties that cannot be obtained by a wood fingerboard.

Thanks,

Epiphone

Phenolic is second only to ebony on fretless instruments. It's damn near indestructable.

+1

My Squire Fretless J Bass has an Ebonol fingerboard (think: hockey puck) and it is pretty amazing. Smooth as glass and hard as a rock!

Jim

Call me a purist' date=' I don't care. Its still PLASTIC where there should be WOOD.[/quote']

While I too would prefer wood fingerboards. Due to the dwindling supply of precious woods we may see more of this type of thing happening in the future.

Archived