Gibson Brands Forums

Exactly what type of spruce...

epipr350s

Sitka spruce is by far the most commonly used, and if it's something else, the builder/manufacturer usually says so because it's often more expensive. Sitka comes from northwestern North America generally, and is a fine all-around spruce. There's mystique around using Adirondack (red) spruce for acoustics, or Silver/German spruce (Picea abies) AKA Norway spruce for classicals. But really Sitka is fine.

Now, a "select spruce" top is just Epi/industry speak for laminated top.

Sitka spruce is by far the most commonly used' date=' and if it's something else, the builder/manufacturer usually says so because it's often more expensive. Sitka comes from northwestern North America generally, and is a fine all-around spruce. There's mystique around using Adirondack (red) spruce for acoustics, or Silver/German spruce (Picea abies) AKA Norway spruce for classicals. But really Sitka is fine.

Now, a "select spruce" top is just Epi/industry speak for laminated top.[/quote']

Thanks teegar,

That's what I figured, I have noticed that Epi has recently been using the term "Sitka Spruce" as a selling point for some of their guitars (especially the Masterbuilt Series) while other solid tops are still described as just having a "solid Spruce top". I suppose it wouldn't make some of their guitars stand out if they listed them all as having a sitka spruce top.

Mike

Sitka Spruce is like saying Honduran Mahogany, it can mean anything from a general continental local.

There's all kinds of spruce, Englmann, Adirondack, European, all have their own qualities.

I assume all Epi's are Sitka unless otherwise stated, but the really good old growth stuff is never going to find its way to the Epi factory so I wouldn't even sweat what "kind" it is.

The laminated "Select" spruce top on my new(to me)Korean '04 EJ-200 sounds great!

It vibrates like a mo-fo, a LOT more than the "Solid Spruce" top on my '02 D-10 Washburn.

The top's not THAT much bigger, but the sonic difference is just short of amazing.

Maybe for once, I got lucky and got a "good 'un".

Hi -

From the US Forest Service:

"Sitka Spruce is native to the west coast of North America, found in a range as far north as the Kodiak Island, Alaska, and as far south as northern California. Sitka Spruce was introduced, and can be found in Ireland, Great Britain, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, and also in New Zealand.

"The high strength-to-weight ratio and resonant qualities of the clear lumber are attributes that have made Sitka Spruce valuable for specialty uses .... including sounding boards for high-quality pianos and guitar faces ....."

Sitka Spruce is used on the Epiphone Masterbilt Series, and it is the primary top wood for Martin guitars.

Regards,

Archived