Gibson Brands Forums

Any Love for the 54 Oxblood?

Rob S

I like it overall' date=' but the bridge is a deal-breaker. No intonation.[/quote']

The wraparound on my LP Junior is dead on. They can be OK.

I'm curious about the case too.

It's a nice looking combo, thanks for posting - and goodonya, you didn't even ask how!

I like it overall' date=' but the bridge is a deal-breaker. No intonation.[/quote']

That particular bridge is a no-go for me too, however I love the wraparound look, so it'd be worth it to me to buy a high-end replacement that is intonatable.

The wraparound on my LP Junior is dead on. They can be OK.

Not when you ( I.E. Me!) use .13 gauge strings. Garaunteed awful.

That particular bridge is a no-go for me too' date=' however I love the wraparound look' date=' so it'd be worth it to me to buy a high-end replacement that is intonatable. [/quote'']

That IS a possiblity however. (I don't know why I didn't think of that...[cool] )

Um...guys? It's not wine red' date=' but oxblood, a reddish-brown color.[/quote']

Meh... Tomato / Tomahto.

We have a really beautiful Billy Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr at the store with a wrap-around bridge. I was pretty sceptical at first, but the thing is dead-on perfect ... and it is a great look!

I think my favorite thing about this guitar is the leopard-lined case! LOL

Jim

We have a really beautiful Billy Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr at the store with a wrap-around bridge. I was pretty sceptical at first' date=' but the thing is dead-on perfect ... and it is a great look![/quote']

But my point is that when you start changing string brands and guages they become MUCH less than perfect. They look do cool. That's half the rock 'n' roll battle...

But my point is that when you start changing string brands and guages they become MUCH less than perfect. They look do cool. That's half the rock 'n' roll battle...

I guess I'm just dense ...

Why' date=' if they set the bridge properly in the first place, should there be the need for all this constant re-intonating? Acoustic guitars don't have tune-o-matic bridges ... then again, you don't spend as much time in the neighborhood above the 12th fret usually on an acoustic either.

It seems to me to be just one more thing for us worrysome guitarists to fret over and fiddle with while we sould be playing! [crying

Jim

Hi Everyone,

Glad to see that she meets with some approval. I bought this as soon as I could locate one nearby and I will tell you, my heart was in my mouth. It arrived and I was very impressed on first glance, the colour is absolutely right (Bear in mind that the photos taken of her in the case were in direct sunlight, hence rather distorting the true colour), having inspected the guitar far further I was becoming more impressed by the minute.

Plugged her in and this is where I was dubious. I had read elsewhere that the 57 Classics were not that wonderful and tended to mush up quickly. Well, all I can assume is that these comments must have been made by guys who use far more gain than I do, because I was very pleasantly surprised by the Rich and Authorative voice this guitar has. I was also surprised to find that we have Pots that work! I use Non Master Volume Single Channel Amps (Trainwreck Express Clone and Matamp 1224) and rely upon the Guitar to control my sound. I had heard tales of woe about Pots that don't really work etc, but this is not the case here.

I am well used to Wrap Over Bridges and their idiosyncrasies having owned several SG and LP Juniors and a beautiful R04. The set up out of the box was pretty good and it was only the usual suspects (D and G Strings) that were giving any cause for concern. 10 minutes with the allan keys had these in as good can be done and everything was good to go.

The really big thing about this example has to be the resonance and vibrancy of the guitar. Unplugged, Hit an Open D Chord and the whole guitar is ringing right up the neck as well as the body. Plugged in, this translates into a huge sound with great clarity.

The Neck is a Medium D profile. Not a Baseball Bat by any means, but still big enough to make it a very comfortable player. The Rosewood is beautifully figured, the Fret work is good too, shame about some filler being visible when looking closely, but that is what one would deam passable at this price point.

Weight? Comes in at about 8.25lbs so very nice.

Changes Planned. Pickups will come out at some point and I will be replacing them with Bare Knuckle Mules.

The Case. Branded Westwood, it was a spare LP sized case that I had knocking around and it does the job more than adequately.

I'll take some better photos at some point, but I am too busy enjoying playing it at the moment.[crying]

Archived