Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan P'up question

smips65

Anyone here ever try these?

staplerepro.jpg

Seymour Duncan Specialized Alnico V

Application: For Switchmasters and other high-end Gibson® archtops or other guitars with Soapbar or Dog-Ear P-90s

Price: $225

DC: 9.7K

Magnet: Alnico 5

Spacing: E-to-E 1.900"

Lead wire: Single conductor

Wax potting: N/A

Logo: Optional

Color: Covered only

Cover: Soapbar (black only), Dog Ear (black or cream) +$15

Notes: Authentic recreation of Gibson's Alnico "Staple" pickup. Fat and thick single coil sound with painstaking attention to detail, including spring-loaded height adjust magnets.

I'm trying to emulate this guitar, can't get a Super 400 for sure, but I might be able to get part of the way there with the right pup.

1000296d.jpg

I saw them.. was tempted and then saw the price.

For that I could get a Lollar CC pu lol.

Historians say this is a refined version of the P90 that was immediately made obselete by the humbucker introduced a year or so later.

Being a P90 fan I could go for one but hard to justify 225$ us just for shits and giggles. Especially in a 500$ EmpReg.

Being a P90 fan I could go for one but hard to justify 225$ us just for yeehaws and giggles. Especially in a 500$ EmpReg.

But, say I could get one for around 50 bucks....

And it's not for my ZepReg, it's for another full body archtop...

:)

The quick answer is, I can also get a set of Gibby P-90's for $110

The longer answer is, I was hoping that someone here had heard, or played one, and could illuminate me as to whether or not there is a discernable difference.

Have not really played around with pup switch-outs, and want to be semi-confident I'm not passing up a good deal, on either choice.

I've got the Gibby P90 soapbars in my LPDC and they are a good pickup. A pair for $110 would be a good deal. It was kind of difficult to discern actual pickup tone from that vid what with all the reverb and such. Still, the pickups did sound somewhat more clear(?) perhaps "open" would be a better term. For my preferences I would like a P90 tone like that in the neck position. the Gibby does sound really good however I would like a bit more "openness" in that position. The bridge position just rocks as it is and I really like it..

So, yes, I do understand your dilemma. Since I'm prone to make impulse buys though, I would try the "other" since I'm already very familiar with the Gibby P90. In fact, if you buy the other and decide that it's not for you, well you might even be able to sell it to me. :)

Hi J

It might be good to PM "twofeets" made some really good observations about P90's on the recent thread about the Zephyr Blues Deluxe prices.

That guy is using P90's and gigging, he might be able to give you a good solution and some good tips.

Good luck with the project, looks interesting.

Oh my' date=' I'd love an L5 with P90s or that Super 400 but wow, maybe I'll do that to my Elitist Broadway!! Yummy!![/quote']

Yeah it's some pretty tasty tones...

Don't know if you saw this, here's the above mentioned Super 400 in action...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

No where as much reverb, but the original "Staple" pickup.

His switch has the neck pickup on only, so this is a pretty good idea of what this pup sounds like.

And a much better player than I can hope to be.....[blush]

Yep! That second vid with the Super 400, now THAT's the stuff. Yes, that does sound more clear and "open" than the Gibby P90s. The Gibby's offer a somewhat "darker" sound with more growl and snarl while the Duncan in the 400 seems to offer more "purr". If I had the choice I would probably get both the Gibby's AND the the Duncan then mix and match. If I had to choose just one I'd be all over the Duncan. But that's me and the kind of tone I would like to have available. Gibby's you can find fairly easily but that Duncan is an uncommon pickup and a steal at $50.

I have a pair of them in a PRS SE Soapbar II. I thought the stock pickups were good, but the guitar jumped to another level with the Seymour Duncans. Like all SDs I've heard or owned, the word 'open' is the one you keep coming back to. They have huge clarity but don't sound laser like hi fi. They are broad, you could say fat, but some have great detail in the sound. With all due respect to Gibson, I'm sure their pickups are good solid stuff. But Seymour Duncan only makes pickups he doesn't have to be a jack of all trades. I wish I'd been able to get mine for $50 a piece - I won't tell you what I paid, but here in the UK we end up paying parity dollar for pound, after tax, import costs etc. The actual exchange rate which should be in our favour just doesn't apply on American products.

I have fitted Seymour Duncan pickups on several of my guitars - single coils, humbuckers as well as the P90s, and never regretted a single one of them. I say you can buy with confidence, so go for it.

Archived