Gibson Brands Forums

Strings lost their shininess -> need to worry ?

alans056

Hello !

I just bought my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and I noticed something odd : after a few days of playing, some strings seem to have lost their shininess where the pick hits them.

Does this mean I used a pick too thick and that I have damaged the strings ? (Oh god I just bought the guitar!!!!! [cool] )

Or is it normal ? #-o

I'm freaking out #-o

Thank you!

Thank you for your fast answers!

Oh, so the loss of shininess is indeed a sign of use.

But when do you think I should replace them ? As soon as it loses a bit oh shininess ? Or can it wait ?

Because come on, I just have to guitar for 2 days and I'm already reading about changing the strings #-o

Those stock strings are crap. Don't even think twice about changing them. If you replace them now, you shouldn't have to worry about it again for another 3 months. (Although they may need to be changed earlier or later depending on how much you use the guitar.)

Oh I see. thank you very much' date=' I didn't know that the stock strings were not good.

I hope my local music store wont charge me too much for that (I would never dare to do it on my own).

Thanks a lot for your answers![/quote']

From one Alan to another:

Change those strings yourself - it's really easy! Have a look at this youtube video:

Oh I see. thank you very much' date=' I didn't know that the stock strings were not good.

I hope my local music store wont charge me too much for that (I would never dare to do it on my own).

Thanks a lot for your answers![/quote']

You just bought a LP Custom and you cannot change strings? Did I miss something? You REALLY need to learn to do that and now!!

Changing strings is something you will need to do. Strings not only age, but they break, and always at the most inconvenient time. When you go to the store, buy a new set of strings and an extra high e, ask the clerk to help you and watch carefully. Remember, he/she will be doing it 6 times, so you will be able to remember how to do it!

And congratulations on your new guitar.

Sheila

ha! thank you Alan!

Well I guess it's not very hard of course, but still you know...

I Sweated my a** off at a fastfood to buy that guitar... I wouldn't want to do a wrong move or anything buy a foolish attempt to change strings on my own!

From one Alan to another:

Change those strings yourself - it's really easy! Have a look at this youtube video:

Congrats on your new baby. She'll needs lots of cuddling, and hugs, and yes she will cause you to pluck and fret.

Your traveling a road well worn by most of us. Lots of good advice here, and yes, change the strings yourself.

Think of it as changing a diaper on your new baby. It's required.

ha! thank you Alan!

Well I guess it's not very hard of course' date=' but still you know...

I Sweated my a** off at a fastfood to buy that guitar... I wouldn't want to do a wrong move or anything buy a foolish attempt to change strings on my own![/quote']

It would be hard to mess up your guitar by changing strings, Alan.

Just make sure you tune it correctly to pitch. There are plenty of online tuning sites if you haven't got a guitar tuner.

Here's one:-

http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php

The store may do it once for free but don't waste your hard earned money paying them to change strings for you.

Alan

Okay I am considering changing them myself after all. But do you think it's a good idea even though I have never done it or seen it done before ?

Yes!! And definitely pick up the extra high e string - make it two (they're cheap) and practice the locking of the string on to the tuner with that one!

Watch the vid, re-watch adn have it ready when you are doing it.

You'll be fine!!

Sheila

Woohoo' date=' thank you! I will by some Dadarrio strings and change them myself.

But what do you mean extra high e string ? Why would I want that?[/quote']

The highest string breaks easily, especially when learning.

Oh, forgot to mention- you'll need to keep tugging on the new strings and re-tuning up in order to get them stretched out. Otherwise, you'll get frustrated thinking your guitar won't now stay in tune.

One last thing:-

It is mandatory to post pictures of a new guitar!

Use a photo hosting site to get a URL and then click on the little 'mountains & sun' button you can select when you post a message.

Alan

Oooh alright I understand what you meant now [thumbup] Yes of course, thank you for the advice!

I would like to ask one more question : I have a .60mm pick . And I mostly (all the time) play very fast strumming on the chords. And I think my pick may be too thick for the style of music I play. The pick is too hard and gets "stuck" between 2 strings sometimes. I have to really "PULL" the pick to get it all the way down while playing a chord...

What would you recommend ? Maybe it is me that isn't playing right ? I should be more careful ? Or do I need a softer pick ?

Oh' date=' forgot to mention- you'll need to keep tugging on the new strings and re-tuning up in order to get them stretched out. Otherwise, you'll get frustrated thinking your guitar won't now stay in tune.

One last thing:-

It is mandatory to post pictures of a new guitar!

Use a photo hosting site to get a URL and then click on the little 'mountains & sun' button you can select when you post a message.

Alan[/quote']

What do you mean by "tugging" ? (excuse my ignorance I'm from France ^^ !)

I will with great pleasure post a photo of my guitar [thumbup]

Oooh alright I understand what you meant now [thumbup] Yes of course' date=' thank you for the advice!

I would like to ask one more question : I have a .60mm pick . And I mostly (all the time) play very fast strumming on the chords. And I think my pick may be too thick for the style of music I play. The pick is too hard and gets "stuck" between 2 strings sometimes. I have to really "PULL" the pick to get it all the way down while playing a chord...

What would you recommend ? Maybe it is me that isn't playing right ? I should be more careful ? Or do I need a softer pick ?[/quote']

When you pick up the new strings, get a few picks of various materials and thickness'. This way you'll be able to play around with each one on your own time and be able to feel what is right for you. Picks are cheap, too!

Sheila

Oooh alright I understand what you meant now [thumbup] Yes of course' date=' thank you for the advice!

What would you recommend ? Maybe it is me that isn't playing right ? I should be more careful ? Or do I need a softer pick ?[/quote']

A better angle while holding it.... don't dig it in so much.

Pick type/thickness is really a matter of personal choice. You can still strum fast without applying too much pressure. 0.60mm is not excessively thick but you might want to move down in gauge if you have a very aggressive and fast chord playing style (do you play punk?) The getting caught up problem could be a technique issue. It's always best to start slow and maintain accuracy before gradually building up speed.

When you buy your new strings go and fondle all the guitar picks on the counter and buy one each of a few different types you want to try at home.

Best of luck.

Pick type/thickness is really a matter of personal choice. You can still strum fast without applying too much pressure. 0.60mm is not excessively thick but you might want to move down in gauge if you have a very aggressive and fast chord playing style (do you play punk?) The getting caught up problem could be a technique issue. It's always best to start slow and maintain accuracy before gradually building up speed.

When you buy your new strings go and fondle all the guitar picks on the counter and buy one each of a few different types you want to try at home.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't play punk, just the band Interpol. Kind of fast indeed, lots of rapid chords playing.

Archived