Gibson Brands Forums

Strings lost their shininess -> need to worry ?

alans056

What do you mean by "tugging" ?

Just pull them upwards with your hand to stretch them.

It's quicker than waiting for the strings to stretch naturally through the process of playing.

Just pull them upwards with your hand to stretch them.

It's quicker than waiting for the strings to stretch naturally through the process of playing.

Oh' date=' yes I saw that on videos on youtube. Thanks!

Very nice' date=' get a stand too, when you get your strings, and picks.[/quote']

Thank you! Yes I need a stand! I can't continue like this it's ridiculous ^^

What do you mean by "tugging" ? (excuse my ignorance I'm from France ^^ !)

Pulling on the strings to stretch them out. They will stretch naturally and prevent them from staying in tune until they settle. This helps them settle quicker.

stringpull.jpg

Seeing THAT at my door makes me very happy! Beautiful

Guitar!!!!!! [biggrin][cool]:-({|=

Uhhhhh' date=' Robin - how HIGH do you set the action on your

"A" string, anyway? (heh, heh, heh...) [thumbup

and a very DEflated checkbook on the table behind it...

Robin plays slapbass, that's the normal for him right?

thank you very much! I wanted it so bad for so long! I wonder how good are the stock pickups compared to the real Gibson though. Anyway I'm not that good a guitarist to start worrying about pickups ^^

The stock pickups are actually very good' date=' I find. Pickup changes have nothing like as much effect on sound as your amp does, too.

I would like to ask one more question : I have a .60mm pick . And I mostly (all the time) play very fast strumming on the chords. And I think my pick may be too thick for the style of music I play. The pick is too hard and gets "stuck" between 2 strings sometimes. I have to really "PULL" the pick to get it all the way down while playing a chord...

What would you recommend ? Maybe it is me that isn't playing right ? I should be more careful ? Or do I need a softer pick ?

It's all technique. You want your pick to be hitting the strings at an angle (my angle of attack is about 45 degrees.) I play progressive rock/metal with a lot of very fast riffs and tremolo picking, and my preferred pick for this is a .96mm. In fact, I can't play with softer picks as they just don't give me enough response. [thumbup]

AF & smips:

No slap bass for me. Thats one technique I have had multiple failures with learning. lol!

I lower my strings to the point of a faint rattle when played un-amped. Rulers be damned!!!

But I was just demonstrating the amount in which you can stretch the string without breaking it. Of course, the unwound strings may not stretch quite that much.

Re-stringing a guitar is the players responsibility. You need to learn how to do it. I change strings once or twice a week for each guitar if I'm playing a lot. I can't imagine Hungrycats 3 months! I'd never make it, my poor fingers!

As far as the pick thing, its all technique. Buy a bunch of gauges and materials and shapes and see what you like.

I use Jim Dunlop nylons, 1.0mm and .88mm for the most part, but will play with whatever gives me the sound I am after.

Very nice guitar, mate!

When you replace the strings yourself, make sure the ones you buy are the same gauge.

If they're stock, it should be 10-46 on an Epiphone:

http://www.epiphone.com/images/StringGauges.pdf

If you're not sure about how to replace them, let your guitar dealer/tech show you how to.

It can be fun to replace strings. Sit down with your guitar, put on some music and take your time. [biggrin]

One more tip: wipe your strings with a soft cloth after playing. It'll keep them shiny and sounding bright a lot longer.

Uh, a beauty indeed! Looks like mine, except for the headstock (japanese Orville) and fretboard... A black Custom allways makes me soft in the mid-section.

The most lively guitar I've ever played was a white Epi LP Custom... Man, that thing would vibrate! I didn't like the chunky neck - and didn't have the cash - so I passed. And have regretted it ever since.

Picks... I use a 1mm Dunlop nylon. Perfect stiffness for me. For a softer touch I sometime use .76 or .73mm, but I find them too soft for rocking hard or strumming. Not responsive enough, as someone else mentioned.

Very nice setup you have there............which Fender amp is that?

Most of the "strummers"(as opposed to "pickers") that i'm around use very thin picks, easier to "navigate" and easier on the strings themselves.

And speaking of strings, i've never quite gotten the whole "change them daily" (only a SLIGHT exaggeration) mentality...........I play mostly electric blues (Chicago & Delta varietys) with some country, classic rock and metal tossed in for fun,and my strings don't usually "sweeten" until they've been on a while.

If you use GOOD strings, unless you're doing Jazz or pristene clean Classical, allowing them to "settle in" for a while is just fine............and the more overdrive or distortion you use, the less important "fresh strings" are anyhow.

You'll know when it's time to change them, they'll start feeling rough and sounding "dead".

But yes, get new high quality strings on it ASAP, as the stockers are the cheapest junk that could be bought in bulk.

Whatever brand & gauge of string you use, you should save the empty package & write the date you changed the string on it and save it in the guitar's case. That way, if you liked that brand & gauge, you know what to buy next time. (Also, if you didn't like it, you know what not to buy.) This is particularly helpful if you own more than one guitar.

Once you have changed your strings get a can of Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes, and after your done practicing you can wipe your strings down and they will stay clean and last longer. You can also find "The String Cleaner". Its a small plastic folding device that has a pad on the top and bottom. You slide it under your strings and click it shut, then you can go up and down the fretboard and it cleans any finger residue off. Your local music store (I hope) should have some string cleaning items. Congrats on the LP Custom!!

PS- Where in France are you from? My lady and I visited there twice in the last 8 years. Beautiful country.

LOL' date=' I'm pathetic, I get excited seeing the boxes as delivered! "Man I wish I could open them!" lol

Beautiful looking Custom, really beautiful. the gold and the black look awesome together!!!![/quote']

Haha! I know exactly what you mean ^^ thanks a lot, it's really a beautiful guitar!

Once you have changed your strings get a can of Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes' date=' and after your done practicing you can wipe your strings down and they will stay clean and last longer. You can also find "The String Cleaner". Its a small plastic folding device that has a pad on the top and bottom. You slide it under your strings and click it shut, then you can go up and down the fretboard and it cleans any finger residue off. Your local music store (I hope) should have some string cleaning items. Congrats on the LP Custom!!

PS- Where in France are you from? My lady and I visited there twice in the last 8 years. Beautiful country.[/quote']

Great advice! thanks a lot! I will ask about that at my local music store!

I live in the south of Britanny (but I was born and raised in Ireland (yay! [confused] ), I just lived in France too long and I kind of forgot some of my English [blush] )

Would anyone have some tips for avoiding the guitar getting out of tune too quickly ? I read about tightening with a screwdriver the tuning pegs. Is there something else I should know about?

Yes, but be careful not to strip the screw threads. Other than this make sure your strings aren't too old and put graphite (from a pencil) in the nut slots to reduce string binding in the nut.

Alan

Archived