Gibson Brands Forums

Requesting GFS pup experience..

stumblinman

Hey guys, looking at dropping some GFS pups into my G-400. I know I'm going Mean 90 for the neck, but I'm looking for a bridge humbucker similar to a Gibson Burstbucker 2 but from GFS. I see the Classic II is also an alnico 2 magnet and shares similar output range with the BB2, but I'm not positive if it's similar in tone or not. I'm trying to save some bucks after convincing the wife to even let me upgrade this guitar at all. I have a BB2 in a different guitar, and I'm trying to emulate that without paying for it, even though I know it's not going to be the same [biggrin]. I'm trying to decide between Classic II, Vintage 59, or Fat Pat. Input from all you folks familiar would be great. Youtube sound clips vary too much in quality to really help make a decision. Thanks fellas/gals.

I installed a set of GFS "Fat Pat Boutique Humbuckers" in a

Raven West LP Copy, GREATLY improved the sound - only

way to describe it was that the guitar sounded like

Neal Schon's Git on any JOURNEY recording. Nice crunch,

but CLEAN crunch. Was VERY happy with upgrade, will purchase

from GFS again if finances ever allow it! (heh, heh...)

Clean Crunch? That sounds like "Military Intelligence" or "Jumbo Shrimp".

I can't talk about their Humbuckers, but I was pretty impressed with the Neovins I put into a tele last year. They're not boutique quality, but for the money, hard to beat...

I had a Squier '51 I put a Crunchy Rails and a Lil' Killer in a year or two ago. I was happy with the quality, but they were far hotter than what I'm looking for now. I get the "clean crunch", it's that bite that you get when you dig into the strings a little, even when running clean. I dig that, myself. I know there are a lot more folks out there that have GFS, as I've seen many threads about it, but searching didn't bring up the comparison I am asking for, so I'm asking if anyone has experience with both types of pickups and can give me an A/B on them.

Also brian, I've heard good things about the Neovins.

I'm a big fan of the Bridge HB/Neck P-90 combo. It's just finding that right bridge that's throwing me. Maybe a SD would be better, as I'm not hearing much feedback comparisons for GFS. Favorite SD bridge pup? Half of the hot-rodded humbucker set?

Well, I've experimented with a few GFS p_ups and I prefer their Mean 90s or Vintage 59s

over all the rest.

As far as comparos to the Gibson BB2 (AlNiCo II PAF) 8.4kohm with "unbalanced coils"

that you are inquiring,

...that is going to be a hard ticket to fill with most of the economical p_ups from

the online stores..well, except for perhaps the boutique manufacturers.

The closest GFS (still offered) may be the Classic II Zebra open coil style with 7.8k ohm/

4 wire windings. You will get a bit more o/p with the open coils.

As far as the BB2 "unbalanced coils" where the N coil and S coil are wound slightly different

..if that is part of the BB mystique that gives the BB2 it's characteristic sound "signature",

that is something that is unique to Gibson (if that is the case).

the g400 has alnico 5 magnets and 8k/ 14k winding. the fat pats are alnico 5 magnets 10k/ 14k. the vintage 59 are around 8k alnico5. (so put your g400 neck in the bridge and try it!) the other choice is the alnico 2. i got the alnico magnet off ebay for £5 all in and did a swap... you also have a mini hum to consider. another good one is the protube! a humbucker made of 2 lipsticks (mines black. i got it from the clearance section.) they are alnico 2. the wire is wrapped around the magnet like a firebird. i did not really like the dream 180's. maybe buy a neck mean 90 and try it in the bridge...

In regard to the M90/HB combo,

"Pretty versatile" is an understatement Mr.Bill.

Since the JP has the Gibby (2V 2T) setup I'm usually dialed into a sweet combo of the 2.

Then for a certain lead or bridge , a switch to either individual PU really stands out.

I love the range the two can do.

Have fun with yours, you're gonna love it.

After the pondering, I decided to go a different route after perusing my local Craigslist. Picked up a Dirty Fingers and SD SH-14 "Custom 5" bridge pups for 85 bucks total. I figure one of them will sound good with the Mean 90 and the other can be a spare or I'll sell it. Thanks for the input, but I decided in the end to bite the bullet and make it a hotter bridge than my BB2-equipped guitar. I'll let you know which I stick with when the Mean 90 arrives and I put em all together and A/B the Dirty Fingers against the Custom 5.

After the pondering' date=' I decided to go a different route after perusing my local Craigslist. Picked up a Dirty Fingers and SD SH-14 "Custom 5" bridge pups for 85 bucks total. I figure one of them will sound good with the Mean 90 and the other can be a spare or I'll sell it. Thanks for the input, but I decided in the end to bite the bullet and make it a hotter bridge than my BB2-equipped guitar. I'll let you know which I stick with when the Mean 90 arrives and I put em all together and A/B the Dirty Fingers against the Custom 5.[/quote']

Hey man,

I don't know if you finally went through with the deal (so my post has no meaning) but since I'm in the market (kinda...) for affortable pickups, I will have to mention this brand: Rockfield. I know that many members in here had great experience with them and, from the samples I heard in their site, I like A LOT the ''Zebra'' and the SWV (which are Alnico II) and I utterly LOVED the SWC (Alnico V).

I'm seriously thinking about the SWV for the bridge of my Washburn Strat and the SWC... even as a replacement for my Gibson Les Paul Studio (yep, I loved them that much!). So that the BB Pros of the Studio could end up in my Epi SG Special... Just thoughts so far.

And as far as price is concerned, about 50 bucks per pickup, around $ 100 for a set. Not bad at all!

Never heard of those Hector. I did already go through with the deal, since I decided I already have a more vintage-sounding guitar I wanted something a little hotter. I'm always looking for different pups though, I'll take a look. Thank you for the info.

Guest icantbuyafender
Hey guys' date=' looking at dropping some GFS pups into my G-400. I know I'm going Mean 90 for the neck, but I'm looking for a bridge humbucker similar to a Gibson Burstbucker 2 but from GFS. I see the Classic II is also an alnico 2 magnet and shares similar output range with the BB2, but I'm not positive if it's similar in tone or not. I'm trying to save some bucks after convincing the wife to even let me upgrade this guitar at all. I have a BB2 in a different guitar, and I'm trying to emulate that without paying for it, even though I know it's not going to be the same [biggrin']. I'm trying to decide between Classic II, Vintage 59, or Fat Pat. Input from all you folks familiar would be great. Youtube sound clips vary too much in quality to really help make a decision. Thanks fellas/gals.

Classic II's are my favorite.

or the classic '59's.

Good stuff.

Archived