Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on the Wildkat? Mods needed?

Pennyman

I've been thinking of getting a Wildkat, and most of the reviews I've read seem generally positive. But, I'm wondering if it "needs" to have (as with most Epis) the pots / caps / switch upgraded.

Also wondering, more out of sheer curiosity than anything else... with Les Pauls there are numerous wiring options available (50's, Jimmy Page, out-of-phase, coil splitting, etc.). What kinds of different wiring schemes might be available with the Wildkat?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - thanks~

Any sub $500 guitar would in all probability benefit from a pot/cap/switch upgrade.

As to the wiring options. You're limited to a phasewitch unless you replace the (singlecoil) P90s, with some (doublecoil) humbuckers.

I bought one of these (used MIK) a few months ago-

I like it a lot-

Since the area under the pickups is hollow, and you can only raise the polepieces it's a pretty dark sounding guitar-unless you like that tone, you'll need to boost the high end, to get out of the basement. If you want to keep the chrome pickups, You are pretty limited to repalcements, or sending your old ones to someone for a rewind. if you want creme or black, there are lots of aftermarket options.

I don't think Gibson offers and aftermarket chrome covered ones-I haven't changed the pots or caps in it, sorry, but don't use tone controls at all, and I don't replace pots unless they go bad.

The Bigsby can use a little help- first, go online and find the 1 inch replacement spring, (they come with the 7/8 inch), this does 2 things:

It gives more travel on the bar, and, since now has more tension, it returns the strings more in pitch. Then, take a small rat tail file and run it lightly thru the groove on the bridge saddles, to remove any rough spots. Use graphite or similar on the nut and saddles.

Mine now returns to pitch every time- I have no issues at all.

I have a presences setting on my Boss ME-50, and I use that when I play the WIldkat- makes it sound more rock to my ears, and less jazzy.

With the single coils in it, you are kind of limited to what you can do with wiring. I have an Alleykat with one P90 and the original mini humbucker. It definitely benefitted from new pots and a capacitor change. Opened up the sound a lot. New pickups are a good upgrade, but, with the chrome covers, you will be pretty limited on matching. I used a BG brand P90 in mine. The sound isn't all that different from any other P90, however, it's a lot quiter without being a hum cancelling hybrid design. I recommend Bryan's pickups heartily.

Others have rewired theirs to a traditional Gibson wiring scheme with two volumes and two tones. The master volume control does affect things somewhat in the middle switch position but I kinda like the effect. Additionally, if you rewire, your two volume knobs won't be together...one will be on the lower treble bout.

Don't know anything about the Bigsby.

The Kats are some terrific guitars. Quite unique and, I believe, destined to be collectable Epis down the road. There aren't a ton of them out there.

EG

I have a Wildkat. I won't mod it unless I have to. So far the only thing I've done to it is put straplocks on it.

It's not a high-gain or very bright-sounding instrument. If that's what you want, get something else. It also can't handle big distortion. It's excellent at what it does, though. It's the only instrument I've played live where people have come up to me afterward and said "wow, your guitar has amazing tone". Nobody ever said that when I used to play a Fender Strat.

I have no tuning issues. Yeah it goes out of tune a bit sometimes, more when you use the trem, but then what guitar doesn't...

The pickup selector switch is a bit crappy. I'll have to get mine changed soon. I guess the stock Epi pickup switches aren't up to much. No problems with any of the other electronics. Personally I like the way it's wired up but I can't see why you couldn't do a Les Paul wiring scheme if you really wanted, but then people seem to think you'd have to replace the pickups, so seems a bit pointless... if you want that you might be better off finding a Les Paul with P90s in it.

I've had my Wildkat for several years now, and the only mods I've done are purely cosmetic (changed the knobs to pearl-topped chrome). I like the tone of the stock pickups, and have had no problems with any of the electronics, so I don't plan any further mods to it.

Archived