Gibson Brands Forums

Coming soon...Epi LP-100!

olds_cool63

Hey, gang.

Well, some of you know I bought an SG-310 recently. Had it for about 7 weeks and the sound got REALLY crappy. Muddy, staticy, etc. So, I took it back to Guitar Center last Wednesday.

Well, this morning, I ordered a beautiful LP-100 from Amazon and I'll have it on Cinco de Mayo!

I've played one before and really loved it. I had a copy I bought back in '78 and then gave to my nephew in '96, but I'm ready for the "real" thing.

Looking forward to jamming (fingers are cold and ready to go).

So, Epi LP-100 owners out there, what do you think of yours?

Anything you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post a review after I get mine.

Thanks Sheila.

I played my old LP for 18 years and I guess it was time to get back to what I really love. I WILL get another SG someday, but I guess there's a reason why I had an LP for so long.

Of course there will be other LP's also. It's time to build the ol' inventory back up.

As soon as it gets here, I'll play it for a few hours and let y'all know what I think.

It's here!!!

The Mrs. took today off and said the LP was just delivered...an entire day early!

Now, if I can just come down with a cold or something and go home early...hmmmm.....

I'll post up what I think once I can tear my fingers off it. Can't wait to get home!

I have one and I play it the most probably. But then again I've changed out the pups and put Grover tuners on it. It sounds and plays great. A lot of folks will poopoo the bolt-on neck, but unless you are up on the 19+frets all the time, it doesn't matter. Enjoy your new guitar!

Guest icantbuyafender

I had a LP-100 and loved it. It was my first epiphone and 2nd electric ever (the first a squier strat). Sadly wiring issues caused the neck pickup to die.

Guitarcenter took her back and gave me store credit. I then upgraded to my HCS LP std.+ that i love and use so much.

I wish I'd have been able to keep the LP-100, but then id never have my first LP.

Enjoy!

Ok...so I get home to my brand new, Ebony LP-100, open the box and it's Cherryburst!

I swore I would never own a "burst" colored guitar...ever! Just doesn't do it for me. So, Amazon is supposedly sending me the correct color. Will be here on Thursday.

Of note, the plastic covering the pups says "ceramic magnets". Don't the LP-100's have Alnico's?

Also, don't know if this means anything, but it was made in China.

Ceramics in the LP100. I wouldn't worry about being made in China, I'd guess there are a lot of Chinese things floating around the U.S... Bummer they messed up the color though. Play it all night, then ship it back in the morning!

Ceramics in the LP100. I wouldn't worry about being made in China' date=' I'd guess there are a lot of Chinese things floating around the U.S... Bummer they messed up the color though. Play it all night, then ship it back in the morning![/quote']

I just checked the Gibson website....says Alnico V's.

Hmmm...

Hey, doesn't really matter. I like ceramic's...I think they sound great.

Oh, yeah...you KNOW I'm playing it!

Love my LP-100, stands up to my Epi Studio well. Yeah I know, but it's a bolt on neck...Ehhh so is my Strat :)

The pickups should be Alnicos and mine are hot as he**. Mine is Heritage Cherry Burst and I love it, but different strokes, but cheer up the Studio is Ebony. Play it till your fingers bleed you'll love it.

Ok...so I get home to my brand new' date=' Ebony LP-100, open the box and it's Cherryburst!

I swore I would never own a "burst" colored guitar...ever! Just doesn't do it for me. So, Amazon is supposedly sending me the correct color. Will be here on Thursday.

Of note, the plastic covering the pups says "ceramic magnets". Don't the LP-100's have Alnico's?

Also, don't know if this means anything, but it was made in China.

[/quote']

Oh so close!! Sorry it showed up in the wrong color! Not a 'burst person myself, but when I tried the LP100, it was a Cherryburst and I was pleasantly surprised at the finish. It actually looked like a burst should, sutle transition between colors. And I really don't care for the bursts.

Let us know when the 'right' one shows up.

Sheila

While I'm waiting for the new guitar, here's something interesting.

On the Cherryburst LP-100 I received, the back plate on the neck is 3 dimensional. It's black and silver, has the Epi logo, "made in China" and the serial number.

All of the other back plates I've seen on an Epi are flat silver with just the s/n on it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I can try to post a pic when I get home...

My old one that had the bridge installed slightly short had the flat back plate' date=' but the one they shipped me to replace it was the one you are talking about. Just newer design methinks.[/quote']

Ahhh!

Thanks. Just never seen one like that.

Well, tomorrow is the big day for it to arrive. Of course I'll just hold on to the wrong one until then.

It plays and sounds really well. Sounds great!

31993135.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Personally' date=' I think it's a much nicer plate.

Sheila[/quote']

Seems the 100's for the first several years of 2000's had these neck plates, then there was a run or two with a plain plate. Now they are back. I agree a much nicer plate

Well, the Mrs. called and told me it was finally delivered.

Can't wait to get home.

Although, I really think Amazon should let me keep the Cherryburst at no charge for the inconvenience....I'll run it by them! Ha!

Anyway, my new Ebony LP-100 is gonna see some action tonight. Guess I'll ship the Cherryburst back tomorrow.

what are the differences between the lp100 and studo? i see the lp100's with a trans finish are mahogany' date=' solid finish are alder also the lp100 are bolt on. the prices are very close though where i am.[/quote']

I believe either finish on the 100 is a mahogany body with maple cap. Any way, the bolt-on neck for the 100, set for studio, 650R, 700T pups on the 100, Alnico Classic on the studio, different tuners and the big one is the 100 is thinner/lighter.

The 100 is a pleasure to play. Grab one if you can. And I own the Studio.

Sheila

Guest icantbuyafender
what are the differences between the lp100 and studo? i see the lp100's with a trans finish are mahogany' date=' solid finish are alder also the lp100 are bolt on. the prices are very close though where i am.[/quote']

LP-100 is MUCH lighter and skinnier.

the studio is the normal heftyness of a paula

LP-100 has cermamic humbuckers vs. studio's alnico V's

Studios come in several colors, whereas the LP-100 is red, ebony, or burst

Honestly I liked my LP-100 while i had it... but the value dictates a studio

since its only a few bucks more, why not get more of a LP?

Archived